Search Unity

Same object, different textures?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Sync1B, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Sync1B

Sync1B

Im using maya and im trying to figure out a way for one object to have different sections of mesh in which different texture/shader is applied? Since maya seems to have the best overall import into unity I would expect that if you can do it in maya, unity would value it. Although it doesnt seem like this would be possible due to the fact that unity has one shader per object and one texture for that shader. Having to break my object into a bunch of separate objects seems silly when I want it all to act like one object with multiple textures. It doesnt look like I can do this but I thought I might ask any way.

Thanks a lot, Bill

2. freyr

freyr

Unity does support multiple materials per object. This should import from Maya just fine.

3. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

This works just great in Unity... Sometimes you have to relink textures to materials, change some settings around, etc. If Unity only allowed one material per an object that would be extremely limiting :wink:

4. Sync1B

Sync1B

Glad I asked, how do you assign a material to the selected faces in maya? Im still learning all mayas wonders.

Bill

5. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Select the faces you want, go to the HyperShade, right click on a Material, and choose "assign material to selection".

6. Sync1B

Sync1B

Perfect thanks, going to try it now.

Bill