Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Same material looks different on different materials

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rajaleneweit, Mar 29, 2020.

1. rajaleneweit

rajaleneweit

Hello, guys,

I have problem again, this time it's like this: I have two buttons using different sprites but the material is the same on both. But for some reason, the color looks a little darker on one of the buttons then on the other. Here is an image: same_material_looks_different_on_different_sprites.PNG The pink sprites are my buttons. First, I fought the problem might be that the button above doesn't have a full white as color or the color specified in Photoshop may not be a full white.
    I tried it on both, the color palette in Unity and Photoshop, but that doesn't seem to be the reason. Both buttons use different canvasses, but the settings are the same. Same for the import settings. Here you can see all settings that might be important:
    pen_import_settings.PNG canvas_settings.PNG camera_settings.PNG light_settings.PNG
    What may be the problem?

2. ADNCG

ADNCG

I get #ffaec9 on both sprites.

3. rajaleneweit

rajaleneweit

yeah it should be the same but it looks different as you can see

4. rajaleneweit

rajaleneweit

plus when i google my problem, i get answers that have to do with uvs. but these are sprites/buttons and not 3d objects

5. ADNCG

ADNCG

Doesn't look different to me, that's why I bothered checking the colors. Do you feel like the top one is brighter?

6. rajaleneweit

rajaleneweit

to avoid a misunderstanding, the buttons are the pink parts of the image, just ignore everything else. doesn't the above one which has the letters "PS" on it a little darker the other button. yeah the color is the same since it's the same material. and it doesn't seem to be the case that the white on this button color palette is darker or was darker in photoshop since it checked that out, too.

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

I don't see a difference either but then my workstation has high color accuracy monitors. My recommendation is to check it out with a different display. A higher resolution wouldn't hurt either as it's possible that the white text in the one sprite and the dark line in the other are making it seem like they're different.

angrypenguin likes this.
  8. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I grabbed your screenshot, cut a part of the bottom button and moved it adjacent to the top button. When doing this I can't see a seam where the two buttons meet.
    upload_2020-3-29_14-1-9.png
    (Edit: I can't re-attached a blown up version for some reason. View this in your image editor and zoom in to confirm.)

I also did a colour pick on both parts from your screenshot, and they give an identical value.

I suggest that the issue is your screen, not the colour values. It takes a pretty high quality monitor to consistently display colours both at different parts of the screen and from different viewing angles.

Also edit: To me the bottom one looks a little darker, which supports the idea that it's just our monitors not displaying things quite the same way.

Ryiah likes this.
  9. rajaleneweit

rajaleneweit

I also think it just looks different. Thank you for your help.

10. neginfinity

neginfinity

It doesn't look different to me.
    I checked both colors with color picker, it is 255 174 201 on both, and they look to be of the same shade on my monitor.

I'd recommend to check if everything is alright with the monitor.

11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

My point, and @Ryiah 's point, is that it almost certainly does look different. I'm currently using a mid-range IPS monitor and it looks different to me. However, this has nothing to do with Unity, and everything to do with limitations of my monitor.

12. Ony

Ony

It's just how we see color in various juxtapositions. Our brains are weird.

The squares marked A and B are the same shade of gray:

no00ob, Ryiah, SunnySunshine and 2 others like this.
  13. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

No difference on my screen, but I think @Ony has it.

My recommendation is to not look that closely at your art in the first place :). How much time spent on this already? If it really bugs you, just remember, "if it looks right it's right." So just change the value to whatever makes it feel good to you.

Ryiah and Ony like this.