Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

"same issue" posts

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by Peter77, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I guess it's to vote for it on the issuetracker.

Even though it is super un-intuitive since you don't know when the bug you submitted gets posted on the issue tracker and you have to search for it manually.

In the past people where of the opinion that we should do multiple bug reports, so that they know it affects a lot of people. Which also seems like a waste of time for everyone involved.

3. Arkade

Arkade

Me too!

er :oops:

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

If there's an issue tracker entry for the bug in question (which means that the issue has been classified as a bug and we were able to reproduce it internally), submitting additional bug reports is not necessary, but it can still help. Depending on the complexity of the bug, additional reproduction cases and reports can potentially reveal previously missed edge cases.

Since there is still some confusion regarding best bug reporting practices, I've summed it up here and intend to add it to the beginning of the guide to beta testing.

1. Yes, please vote for issues you're affected by.

2. Unless you ask for your report to be excluded from the issue tracker or something goes wrong, your bug report is added to the issue tracker as soon as it is reproduced by QA, in which case you will also be notified via email.

3. You should never submit multiple bug reports for the same issue. That is indeed a waste of time. If you want to add information to an existing report, reply to the confirmation mail you received when you first submitted it.

Peter77 and MelvMay like this.
  5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

We never reliably get an e-mail with a link to the issuetracker. We usually just get an e-mail saying that QA can replicate the issue and they'll forward it to developers.

Now if there's an entry on issuetracker or not, that's something I'll have to figure out manually.

The same person for the same issue no.

But multiple people for the same issue? It has been suggested that it's the way to go in the past FYI.

6. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

That looks very useful and is most likely going to be of great help.

For your point "Is there a forum thread? Reply". The question is, reply what?

You could add a link to the page that takes in a Case number and forwards to the public issue tracker for that specific bug-report, as it makes it easier to find a specific case.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

People should always post a bug report because there is no guarantee it's really the same issue. Or the issue might be fixed on one machine but not a different machine/os/driver/project. This has happened many times.

8. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

In that case, if four people add "same issue" to a forum thread, we should also ask them to submit a bug-report and post the Case number?

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think so yeah. I'm guilty of not due to being busy a lot (also mod and all) but if someone has time, Unity gets more data. I think I recall @superpig mentioning this once.

10. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Unless something is broken, there should be an issue tracker entry as soon as you get that confirmation mail. I agree, it would be more convenient, if you would also get a link to the entry in said confirmation mail. I'll request to add that.

Generally speaking, additional bug reports and reproduction projects for known issues can reveal previously missed details and indicate how prevalent the underlying issues are, which helps us prioritise them. The standard request to users that experience issues with Unity should therefore be to submit a bug report with a minimal reproduction project, if they haven't done so already.

However, since the time and energy most users are willing to invest into bug reporting are limited, I'd recommend to keep the requests for bug reports about known issues general and just post them once per thread. It is much more important to get users to submit bug reports for unknown issues.

Yes, but gently ;).

With information about the bug that hasn't been posted yet. Ideally accompanied by an Issue ID for a submitted bug report. But even a "me too" helps, since it shows us that it's not an isolated case and raises our attention.

Yes, the implementation in the guide will have that link. The one in the summary I posted just doesn't work because it's a png.

AcidArrow likes this.