Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Same Animator, Different Animations

Discussion in 'Animation' started by ArseneySorokin, Jan 15, 2022.

1. ArseneySorokin

ArseneySorokin

Lately I am discovering that I would love to have a feature which uses the same animation "structure" but allows me to change the animation clips (and maybe transition times).
    I have a lot of different characters which all have more or less the same behaviors (give or take a few unique abilities) with different clips for each one, such as "idle", "attacking", "walking" and "dying".
    If feels stupid that I have to duplicated the same animator for each character just to place different clips there and if I want to make a change to the behavior (such as having the attack be activated by a bool rather than a trigger) I have to make the change for each unit one by one.

Does anyone have a unique solution to the situation? Is there something which already does this that I am missing?
    Do any of you have the same issues?
    What are your thoughts on this?

2. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

Animator Override Controllers are exactly what you're looking for. They're implemented kind of badly, but they get the job done.

unityunity