Search Unity

50% OFF Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.7%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.2%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.3%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.7%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.5%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.5%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Hi @CrazedArabMan.

Sorry for the time to reply, I was to sleep after my last message.

Yes, in top down view (or any locked camera view), the player usually aims in straight line (according to the height of the empty transform where player looks when aiming).

But what you said was a main concern, so I added a system to allow the player to check what the cursor is looking at, so if a possible target is detected, the player is able to aim directly toward that target, no matter if it is in a lower or higher position that the regular height to aim (it is the same system used to lock on a target and aim assist on weapons/powers).

Here you can see the player aim and fire in regular height and straight line:

And here you can see an example with targets at different height, just aiming and also shooting:

And here how it looks in a closer view:

You can see how the player moves the weapon up and down according to the position to look. The system is very flexible in this aspect, allowing to use this in any type of locked camera, like top down, isometric, any kind of above view, with very high precision, without matter the size, shape, height and location of the target.

Tell me if this solves your doubt.

Regards.

neoshaman and Neviah like this.
  2. Jhorvath9

Jhorvath9

First off, thank you for the very thorough and detailed response! It is very much appreciated and one you don't usually see from developers. What you showed is exactly what I was looking for in terms of aiming at different levels in a top down shooter.
    My last concern though is, as in your demo and what you show in your first two gifs with the standard aiming. If the player walks under an object (let's say they are on floor 1, and floor 2 is above them), how does the new aiming system react to that? IE: Does the player all of a sudden start looking at the ceiling because he is below it, or does the aiming remain true and only moves up or down if the enemy is at a different level then the player but still on floor 1. Sorry if that last question is a little confusing.

And lastly (sorry to bombard you with questions). Is the top down camera easily changeable then without messing with the character controller or any other essential functions if I were to move the top down camera from the current position you have it to be more like the game Helldivers or Unity's own Angry Bots (top down, but slightly rotated on an angle)?

skytow2003 likes this.
  3. sr388

sr388

Glad to answer any doubt about the asset :)

About aiming, no, the position of the player or if there are objects between it and the camera is not a problem, the actual position where he looks in this type of camera is translated locally in a transform which follows him and only moves in X and Z, according to reticle position, so he aims properly in straight line and the direction only changes when he detects a possible target like in the above gifs.

About floors, the current system has an option to use fade shader on objects between player and camera position, so everything in the level can be seen better.

Yes, locked cameras are a separated object from the player and his camera, allowing to configure new locked views easily. It is the same system used to configure views like fixed camera position (old resident evil), top down, isometric, point and click, 2.5d, etc....

The only difference with views is the position and rotation of the locked pivot and the locked camera positions (along with the settings on that view).

Here and example of the same demo level with the locked camera adjusted to look isometric (with options active to rotate the camera to left and right, but this can be disabled to have a fixed direction):

In the default top down, the inclination of the camera is 70 degrees in x axis, in the isometric is 45 and 45 in x and y axis.

The locked camera system is a very powerful editor which allows to configure new locked cameras very easily, using a list manager. The resident evil mansion demo has about 60 (probably many more xd) locked cameras configured and it didn't take too much to place them using the locked camera manager, allowing to just look at a place in the editor window, and the new camera can be configured in the same position and looking at the same direction as the editor camera.

Also, the system has options to rotate the camera on this kind of views too, and keeping the movement (WASD) directions relative to camera direction:

Transitions between cameras can be done smoothly or at once and of course, the player can start in a locked view instead of being in free camera and enter into a locked view, so you can make a game from beginning to end in any type of view instead of free. The objective is to give a system as customizable as possible.

Sorry for so many gifs, the maximum size is very little, so I have to split them haha.

Regards.

neoshaman likes this.
  4. Jhorvath9

Jhorvath9

Once again, thanks for the amazing response (don't worry about the number of gifs, they are more than useful and I greatly prefer them as I can see a visual of your explanation)! You've resolved my main questions I had about your asset and how it handles the top down view (though I'm sure once I start playing around with it, I'll have more). You've just earned yourself a purchase (once I'm home that is)!
    The updated aiming system for top down allowing to hit enemies at different heights on the z axis is already in the asset correct? It's just something I need to toggle/configure once I start playing around with it or is that a part of your next update?

sr388 likes this.
  5. sr388

sr388

Hi again @CrazedArabMan.

Thanks, very happy to hear that, thanks for the support.

It is made to work by default, there is no option to toggle it, but I will add it (I have just added to the todo list), the more options, the better :)

And sure, don't hesitate to ask any other doubt/question/suggestion you had (suggestions are very welcome).

Regards.

Neviah likes this.
  6. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Finally have added the new animations to the project. With it, I have also added the elements on the animator to sprint, here you can see it:

Here the running strafe on free view (without being in aiming mode):

And here the running strafe while aiming:

Also, in the todo list for the update the only elements left are just minor checks....yay xd.

Regards.

Wetw0rx, Mighty183, Mark_01 and 2 others like this.
  7. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I keep working on the update and a good idea I had today is add an option to deactivate root motion on the player in third person, allowing to configure different speed vales for walk, crouch, run, strafe, sprint, etc.. This also allows a more precise control in places like top down and similar locked camera views

The use active of root motion can be toggled in inspector and called through events, so it can be enabled/disabled at any moment. I will record a few clips tomorrow so you can see the difference on both modes.

And of course, the main task is to complete the update, almost all todo list elements have been achieved.

Regards.

Mark_01 and Brian-Ryer like this.
  8. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

Is there currently any way to create a simple melee weapon? I didn't see any examples but I wasn't sure if the mechanics were there somewhere or something could be modified to make one .

sr388 likes this.
  9. sr388

sr388

Hi @jaytwist28.

Not yet. For now, the only similar setting on weapons is a melee attack option, using the weapon itself to hit objects in front of it in first and third person (and any other type of view), which can be used with key by default Left Alt.

But melee weapons are planned to be added on 3.0, which will be started soon, once upcoming 2.9 is complete.

Regards.

Mark_01 likes this.
  10. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

Sounds good. Is there a way to change the animation of the guns melee attack?

11. sr388

sr388

It is not an animation, but the IK system used on weapons.

In 3.0, this IK system will be improved with splines to make these movements smoother and look better, including the actions to draw and keep weapons. Every position, movement and speed can be configured on every weapon.

On next updates, animations for weapons will be added (currently all movements on weapons on third person are made using IK).

Regards.

12. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

Alright thanks for the info :)

13. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here the gifs to show the root motion option added which I mentioned yesterday.

Here is the character moving with root motion active:

Here without the root motion:

Here in top down view with root motion:

And here top down view without root motion:

As you can see, the difference is more noticeable in top down, where the movement direction is constant according to input without root motion while with root motion active, the animations can make him deviates from movement direction (it can be seen when player moves at the side of the line in the ground).

So this allow a more precise movement allowing to configure separated speeds, with animations and speed looking synchronized.

Also, after adding the running strafe animations, the option to look at camera direction while using free fire mode (not aiming) allows the player to walk and run in this mode:

Regards.

Wetw0rx likes this.
  14. hopeful

hopeful

Being able to drop root motion makes sense in scenarios where a travel animation would look funny if sped up to allow for greater travel speed.

sr388 likes this.
  15. badradionz

badradionz

Hey team, I'm trying to use the demo for testing and none of the buttons seem to work apart from basic movement. For example I have attempted to open door using both keyboard and xbox controller but nothing is working. Please advise.

16. sr388

sr388

Happy to know all questions and doubts were answered :) Also, this issue found by a couple of users is fixed in the upcoming 2.9.

Regards.

17. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have almost finished with the update 2.9, only checks to do are related to the local multiplayer and minor stuff.

A custom inspector has been added to the characters manager, for the local multiplayer management, including a more easy way to select the split camera to configure.

new stuff 1.gif

Also, new options have been added to the dialog system, like random answer from the NPC, disable answers from the player once they have been used and dialogues from the NPC as well.

Here you can see some examples (gifs quality is a little bad to show the text in the player's options):

Here the last answer disappear once the player have used it once.

Here the NPC gives random answers to the same option selected by the player.

Here just different branches.

And here the final option that makes the NPC to trigger the function to follow the player.

With the event settings, anything can be triggered, like turning the character into an enemy if the player selects a certain answer with that event configured.

Regards.

Neviah likes this.
  18. blacksun666

blacksun666

Does the local multiplayer support dual displays, with each player's view on a separate monitor?

sr388 likes this.
  19. sr388

sr388

Didn't think about that possibility.

But I am not sure if unity support that type of mode (or any game with similar type of screen view).

I will search info about this, if it is possible, I will add in the todo list for the local multiplayer.

Regards.

20. blacksun666

blacksun666

21. sr388

sr388

Mmmmm, really interesting, didn't even consider this option before.

I will definitively will add this option in the todo list to use multiple monitor for local multiplayer. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards.

22. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

The update 2.9 is very close to be complete. Will spend a few days to create a couple of new demo scenes for the dialog and climb ledge systems, and take the top down and 2.5d zones from the main demo scenes and put them into separated levels, to show that view properly.

Before that, I will tell here and in the discord channel when the update is complete so anyone who don't want to wait for those new scenes and the release on the store can get the update directly.

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  23. redoxoder

redoxoder

hello , does your asset have bow and crossbow weapon ? or if not it is easy too add it ?
    thanks

sr388 likes this.
  24. sr388

sr388

Hi @redoxoder.

There is no a weapon which has a bow or crossbow behavior yet, but it is planned to be added on 3.0, along with the melee combat system.

Add a bow or crossbow weapon type could be achieved right now, by using the weapon behavior system, which allows to add new types of weapons easily, just by adding the new logic in a new script inside the weapon itself, like the asset already does with the smartphone or flashlight.

Also, the weapon system is based on IK, so it would be just a matter of move the IK point assigned to the pulling hand when the player is pulling the bow.

If you want to add this behavior now, take a look at the flashlight or smartphone scripts, it is easy to see how they are are managed. Also, in the player weapon system inspector, you can set the new weapon behavior as well (just a couple of fields to configure events on fire weapon actions). If you do this, tell me if you have any further doubt or problem during the process.

Regards.

Wetw0rx and hopeful like this.
  25. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added an option to configure a list of camera states that can be used by the mouse wheel to change between these camera states, allowing to configure the range of distance between the camera position and the pivot position. The camera states on this list are just the camera state names from the main list configured in the camera.

So for example, when the camera is between 0 and 0.4 of distance, the camera enters in first person and in the range of 0.5 and 3 of distance, the camera enters in the third person right side state. Events can be also configured for every camera state using the mouse wheel as well.

Almost everything done in the todo list to get ready the update.

Regards.

blacksun666 likes this.
  26. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been checking the save system on PC and mobile, it works correctly now (in 2.4d it has a few bugs where the way the info was managed to be stored wasn't correct in certain cases, so the load was using wrong information sometimes, but now it is works perfectly). Moving on to the last 5 elements from the todo list.

I have also added the radio into the examine system, so it can be examined and used as a regular object in the level, besides on vehicles and the smartphone app.

Regards.

Neviah, Wetw0rx and hopeful like this.
  27. westryder907

westryder907

Always good to head bugs being squashed!
    I have a question.

Does GKC(2.4d) integrate with EmeraldAI2.0 anymore? I've gone over the documentation on how to do this but the "Emerald_AI.cs" script file is nowhere to be found?

sr388 likes this.
  28. sr388

sr388

SMASH!

In the documentation of emerald included in GKC it is explained. Since first integration between both assets, they have changed a lot (GKC with 2.4d and emerald with 2.2 if I remember properly), so the integration needs some rework to work properly again.

But this is planned to arrive in the first updates of 3.0.

Regards.

DrOcto likes this.
  29. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

The rotation of the player in the aim mode in 2.5d has been improved, now responds much better.

Really cool to keep learning more about vectors, directions, radians and similar stuff and new ways to calculate things.

Btw, I think tomorrow, I will be able to complete the last elements of the update 2.9. Will need to add the new couple of scenes, but the update will be available for any user who want to get it without waiting for its release on the store.

Regards.

neoshaman, Wetw0rx and hopeful like this.
  30. sr388

sr388

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  31. sr388

sr388

Good news, everyone.

Update 2.9 is finally ready. I have to add the new couple of scenes before upload it to the store, but the rest of the content will be the same as the version to release on the store.

So any user who want access to this version without need to wait for the store release, send me a PM.

Btw, here a couple of gifs of the local multiplayer working on 2.5d mode:

2.5d local multi 4.gif

2.5d local multi 5.gif

2.5d local multi 6.gif

Regards.

badradionz, Razmot and neoshaman like this.
  32. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have made a build demo for 2.9 update, here the link: https://mega.nz/#!XVF10Qha!vVsqB44N-kb6-vDOWiR4CTSH6JOh02-LryThGJ50VDE

The only work left to do to send the update to the store is make a couple of new demo scenes for the dialog, climb ledge and possession system. These levels will be little, so it will only take a couple of days. With this just minor stuff like recording a short video with the new elements of this update.

Regards.

MorpheusXI, neoshaman and Brian-Ryer like this.
  33. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added an option in locked camera to configure 8 way directional aiming for 2.5d view, similar to contra, metal slug or cuphead.

This is only 2 directions:

This is 4 directions:

And this is 8 directions:

In the gifs I am moving the mouse slowly to show the directions. In the actual aim, you can move the direction as quick as you want.

Regards.

Aphelion78 and Neviah like this.
  34. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have improved the free aim system in 2.5d and the gravity manipulation in that view as well, so they work properly and better in any direction, including the 8 way directional aiming for this view.

Here changing to the wall, moving and aiming

Here just moving around.

And here with the 8 way directional aiming active.

I have also fixed an issue in the checkpoint system and added an extra check in the map system for certain situations, to avoid errors/issues.

Regards.

35. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

@sr388

This looks great! Were you planning on integrating an online multiplayer system with either photon or Unity's networking?

Is there any projectile falloff, like bullets lose momentum after a certain distance, etc?

Is it also possible to always have the avatar look the direction of the camera when not moving, instead of having the camera orbit around the avatar?

Thanks!

UPDATE: So I purchased your asset and imported it into a new project Using Unity 2019.1.1f1 and I get a variety of errors. I also don't see Game Kit Controller in the top nav bar either.Thoughts?

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    sr388 likes this.
  36. sr388

sr388

Hi @adamz.

Thanks for your purchase and interest in the asset.

Online multiplayer is planned to be started this year, when 3.0 is close to be complete, so the online is planned for 4.0. For now the main option to use is mirror, though I would like to search other possible solutions as well. Even in the meantime, unity could bring their new online solution, or maybe no, time will say.

About the errors you said in 2019, I think the cause is .NET 3.5. I think this is happening in a lot of assets due to the new features of unity 2019. This should fix this issue: https://www.corrosionhour.com/change-net-version-to-4-in-unity/

Tell me if it works or not.

Regards.

37. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

That worked, thanks!

sr388 likes this.
  38. hopeful

hopeful

I know we shouldn't use the GKC thread to talk about another product, but since some people here are interested in networked games and the networking aspect isn't covered by GKC itself, let me take a moment to point out that like GKC,TNet 3 is in the Madness sale that will be ending on the 15th. Nobody talks about TNet, but it is good.

I never mention TNet in threads because it's somewhat expensive and people who are just experimenting with multiplayer should probably work with a free tool like Mirror or Photon. But TNet has always seemed like a really solid solution to me for a small but professional game, and it's what I'll be using for my game. It's by the same developer who does NGUI, it's been under development for years, and it is updated a couple times per year.

If you're an artist or beginner and thinking you'll need a lot of support, it's probably best to stick with the free stuff, but if you have medium coding skills and you don't need a lot of technical support and you are looking for a simple, robust, full-featured, multiplayer solution that works, check out TNet. In my view it is best in class, but it's definitely also under the radar.

sr388 likes this.
  39. sr388

sr388

Saw this message before @adamz, glad to hear that :)

It seems that is happening to a lot of assets which uses a previous version of 2019. I will add this link to the doc, so anyone with the same issue in 2019 can fix it without becoming crazy (I know this feel xd).

No problem @hopeful. Didn't know that asset neither. It is interesting to see other solutions.

Btw, there was a bug in the climb ledge system, which I have just fixed now. It was due to the slow fall option, so sometimes, if you loose a ledge instead of climb it or jump again, the player could fall slowly. The gravity multiplier wasn't reset after grab the ledge, but it does now, so the player will fall properly now if he looses the ledge, as the gravity multiplier is reset if he was previously slowing his fall (in case that option is active).

Regards.

hopeful likes this.
  40. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added the option to use the interaction button for the code panels without locking the rest of player actions. This actually is a general option for the electronic devices, which has been improved.

This is the system which manages different interaction elements in the asset. Now one of the new options is use free interaction with devices which means that the player is able to move while he interacts with that device. An example is the code terminal with the option to don’t pause player active, allowing to use the mouse press or the interaction button (E by default) to press the keys, similar to games like doom 3. Previously, only the mouse was able to do the press. Now more free interaction devices can be added, to allow the player to use them while he still being able to move and rotate the camera.

Along with this, I have added an option to place the weapon in a lower position and disable the current reticle and enable a separated one, to indicate the player the current state, when he exits the device trigger, the weapon and reticle state are back to normal.

Also, this general system also manages weapons when start and stop using a device, and in lockers the weapon states was reset after exit, instead of only when enter. Now the player draws his weapon when exit if previously was carried.

Also, I have added an option to configure a separated lower position for the weapon, so two positions for lower weapon can be used, one for collision detection on surfaces and other for free interaction devices.

Regards.

MorpheusXI and Brian-Ryer like this.
  41. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added the new demo scene to try the climb ledge system, nothing fancy, but functional xd.

imagen 1.PNG

And a demo example for the dialog system, including an AI with a patrol system attached, so the player can pause its movement to talk with it.

imagen 2.PNG

After the dialog ends, the AI will resume the patrol if it doesn't follow the player. And the patrol AI has configured the event to unlock the door. So for example here, the player couldn't keep moving if he doesn't give the proper answer to that NPC.

So almost there for 2.9 people

Regards.

Wetw0rx, MorpheusXI, Mixa1985 and 2 others like this.
  42. Razmot

Razmot

"nothing fancy, but functional"
    Yeah that's perfect ! We don't want you to do our actual level design, you re already doing all the game mechanics :p

sr388 and Mixa1985 like this.
  43. westryder907

westryder907

I have 3 errors that I cannot make go away. I've searched through the code and can't find the cause. These errors are:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    IKSystem.Update () (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Player/IKSystem.cs:151)

IKSystem.OnAnimatorIK () (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Player/IKSystem.cs:231)

IKSystem.LateUpdate () (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Player/IKSystem.cs:201)

They don't seem to be game breaking but I'd like to get this solved as I'm trying to get my player model to aim properly down the sites instead of pointing the weapon at an upward/left 45 degree angle.

Any help would be appreciated!

44. sr388

sr388

Haha exactly.

If I remember properly, I sent you a beta version. I think the cause is that the prefab of the player is missing a transform used on IK system component.

I will send you a PM.

Regards.

45. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been adding 3 more demo scenes for 2.9.

First one is for vehicles, having vending machines to get more vehicles if they are destroyed for example, or just to have a lot of them. The scene is also made to try the gravity system on vehicles and the waypoint platforms as well. All vehicles are placed here with marks on screen to know where all of them are located:

Second is for possession system, to control many different objects, such as explosive barrels, crates, security cameras, AI turrets, regular rigidbodies, vehicles and enemy AI, allowing to move undetected by their faction:

possession level.PNG

And the last one is a lock on demo example, with fixed, moving and character/NPC/enemy AI objects to look. It also includes the aim assist for weapons/powers and the option active to change between locked targets using camera movement (mouse/gamepad/touch joystick):

Again, not too much fancy, but will be useful.

Btw, I am trying to get the update ready and released on the store before the end of the sales.

Regards.

46. Razmot

Razmot

I think I ve found a bug in 2.9b :
    - I have the unity player set to pause on error.
    - My game code throws an exception : The game pauses
    - I don't have the mouse cursor - and cant get it back with ESC, alt tab / clicking around / ctrl P , all I can do is close unity :(

Unity 2019.1.1f1
    Edit : The solution is to start unity as administrator, I tried an editor script doing cursor.visible / cursorstate or resetting cursor texture to null has no effect => so it looks like a unity bug not a GKC bug !

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  47. sr388

sr388

@Razmot I remember to try some 2018 version and I think that for some reason, Unity has changed the way the cursor is configured as locked and visible, though like you said, not sure if this could be an unity bug directly or not.

I searched info about the way the cursor in 2018 and 2019 is managed now, but didn't find too much and I think I saw people reporting that cursor bug as well.

Will search info about it later.

Regards.

48. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added a few more new demo scenes. This is to show basics of the AI for both friend and enemy, such as friend AI which follows the player, AI patrol, vision range, noise hearing and more:

demo nueva 1.PNG

This one is for other AI elements, such as friend AI which can get on and off from vehicles and free and fixed position places for enemies

demo nueva 2.PNG

And this one, which has a similar structure and there are 4 versions of the same level, two for weapons and two for powers (with weapons pickups, ammo, attachments and more for weapons and powers/abilities pickups, energy pickups and more for powers). And there are two versions, one starting the demo in third person and in first person, so 4 demos with the same structure and different elements between each other.

demo nueva 3.PNG

No more scenes will be added on 2.9, rest of time will be used to make some tests on every new level and it will be ready to go. Aiming to finish 2.9 this weekend and get a release before next monday/tuesday.

Regards.

49. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

While checking the new demo scenes, I have been experimenting a little with avoidance of dynamic objects for the AI
    I already thought on this for the avoidance of other vehicles for the upcoming vehicle AI and it is pretty similar.

Here an example about it. This is how looks without it (vehicles are not configure as obstacles, so navmesh doesn't take them into account to calculate paths):

And this how it looks with the option active:

And not only with vehicles, it uses a layermask, so it can be configured to avoid other AI:

There is room to improve, but the initial version works better than expected.

And finally, you can see here the list of scenes to try in 2.9 (a couple more for local multiplayer will be added):

Also, the save file info now stores the current slots amount in the inventory, so even if this changes during gameplay (like getting a bag to increase this number of slots), it will be stored and loaded.

Regards.

50. westryder907

westryder907

I'm trying to switch out the default animations with alternate ones but the result is a 'gross' mix between both sets of animation?

It's almost as if the walk,run,turn animations are fighting over which one gets to play.

Is there an easy way to swap out our player's animations? TY!