Search Unity

Saints Row for PSP: the official game design doc

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Kasko, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Kasko

Kasko

frosted likes this.
  2. frosted

frosted

Thanks for the link! I love seeing these.

3. LaneFox

LaneFox

But what if someone steals the idea!?

Martin_H likes this.
  4. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

The idea is way too generic to really matter outside the SR franchise.

Better to look for ideas on Kongregate, GameJolt or even around here. That's where you'll find creativity. A lot of clones and junk too but still there are many great ideas.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. LaneFox

LaneFox

I was being sarcastic, remember all the guys going on about posting their game ideas and worried about them being stolen?

6. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Ha ha! Yeah I figured that is what you meant. It is an interesting thing though. Games like SR and basically most any AAA game are popular not so much for innovative ideas as they are just for scope and focus on presentation. I mean sure there is the rogue cop angle.

Thinking about that we can see a couple of distinct options to test:

1. Make a super simple game (like Space Invaders) and make the best graphics, sounds, music possible then juice it to the extreme. Sell the "sizzle". This seems like what most Indies are doing more or less.

2. Make an involved game with a fairly grand scope but use the simplest, cheapest graphics, sounds and music possible and sell the "scope". This is the kind of thing I am more interested in. Now thinking for heck of it sometime I may try the other way sometime because it seems like a lot less work with more of an immediate wow factor. Never really thought about it before.

I've often wondered why all of the folks who want to make an MMO RPG game don't make the game using ultra low poly models or even primitives. "Your heroic cube will explore vast areas, interact with others in the towns of Shorty Cubes and seek out the legendary Town of Tall Cubes. Find many different armors and weapons of the ancient pyramid order. Beware the dark spheres that fill the dungeons.

People have talked about making these epic RPGs so much I am kind of starting to want to see someone come back and say "I did it! It's all just cubes, spheres and other simple forms for the most part but I have completed an RPG 3 times the size of Skyrim!"