Search Unity

safe to use LLVM4.2 compiler?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by tbarbe, Sep 22, 2010.

1. tbarbe

tbarbe

Hi

using U3 F2...

Is it safe to use the LLVM 4.2 compiler? Is there a list or page somewhere with the recommended build settings in Xcode?

( I used the compiler and it seemed to work but I wanted to ask here as well... don't want some hidden gotchas to be getting added to the system if I can avoid it )

?

cheers

2. ugur

ugur

I´m not sure what you mean when asking whether it is safe.
    I mean does it work? yes.
    Can you submit your app to the app store then? No.
    That is not due to any unity limitation though but rather that you cannot submit apps to the store which are made with beta sdk software and/or made for beta OS versions.
    So if you want to submit your game to the store before the 4.2 version gets final it doesn´t make sense to use the latest beta sdk now. If you want to just make test builds till then, sure, go ahead.

3. tbarbe

tbarbe

Hi

Thanks...

by safe I meant... will it work - are there are any hidden issues or glaring known bugs etc etc etc.

By building for the app store - no I wasn't asking for that issue... I know this is beta ( actually arent we final candidate now? F2 = final yes? )

So building for the appstore with this should become ok in a few more weeks Im guessing.

Anyone else know of any potential gotchas of the LLVM compiler? because according to my reading it may potential improve compile times and/or increase performance of the app...

anyone have any experience with this?

thanks.

4. ugur

ugur

Hm, i think we´re talking about different things there =)
    When i talked about beta and said you couldn´t release stuff to the app store made with beta sdk and/or targetting beta OS version i was talking about iOS beta and iOS SDK beta.
    Not unity beta.
    Unity 3 is right now in RC2 beta and yeah, you´re totally fine to release stuff made with it to the app store if you experience no glaring problems.
    I just meant you shouldn´t use the latest xcode sdk to deploy apps which target beta iOS versions.

5. tbarbe

tbarbe

Hi

Oh... ok!

I was referring the Klang compiler thats seemingly available in my Xcode 3.2.4 -- not preview Xcode 4.0....

3.2.4 is release Xcode - not beta. But perhaps the Klang option was installed when I also installed Xcode 4.0 preview ( which is also near final I think? last build was preview 3? )

So the LLVM GCC 4.2 option to build is actually available to me in Xcode 3.2.4...

just wondering if anyone tried it and found any performance improvements or bugs...

sorry I wasn't clear! :)

thanks for the input tho... if you do run into anything using LLVM let me know! Im going to try it for now.

6. ugur

ugur

yeah, i don´t think clang is available as option when one only has xcode 3.2.4 installed.

But yeah, i´m curious to see code execution (performance) differences now, too, will try it on the box i have the beta sdk on..