Search Unity

SAC long train time on 12 cores AMD 5900X

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by Roboserg, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Roboserg

Roboserg

I played with Unity ML agents 9 months ago and PPO and SAC didn't have any visible difference with training times. Now I have a much faster CPU, PPO can train and visualize agents at 20x speed without problems, yet with SAC Unity does this constant hiccups, I assume the model is training. Is this supposed to happen and if so, why did I not have any problems on a much weaker 4 cores CPU 9 month ago? I must be doing something wrong.
    Using the latest mlagents11 and the default pushblock example with default hyperpara.
    It seems like only one core, out of 12, is used for training.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  2. Roboserg

Roboserg

3. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

I'll flag with the team for some insight.

4. ervteng_unity

ervteng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Roboserg, this is actually a known issue with PyTorch (and by extension the PyTorch version of ML-Agents) - it doesn't parallelize well. We actually cap the number of CPUs it is allowed to use to 4. We're still looking at how to improve this going forward. In the meantime, running with --tensorflow should resolve the performance issues.

5. ervteng_unity

ervteng_unity

Unity Technologies

Wanted to add that you may be able to improve performance by increasing batch size and steps_per_update in the configuration. Larger batches should parallelize better.

If you're willing to edit some Python code, going into cpu_utils.py and editing this line:

Code (Python):
    1. return max(min(num_cpus // 2, 4), 1) if num_cpus is not None else None
    Changing the 4 to something larger (8 or 10) might work better, especially in conjunction with increasing batch size.

6. kokimitsunami

kokimitsunami

Hi,
    I'd like to try to change the number of CPU cores for training as mentioned above. I found where the code is located but cannot find any instruction on building/running the code. Am I correct in my understanding that I need to re-build it as a Python Package and run mlagents-learn command? It would be great if anyone could share how to build/run it.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022