Search Unity

Rust VS C# for ECS game engine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kvfreedom, Aug 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kvfreedom

kvfreedom

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Any language capable of supporting ECS is going to be just fine. You rarely need "the best" and even when you do "the best" is very subjective. Want the best performance? Neither Rust nor C# will be that. Want a comfortable one to develop in? Everyone has different preferences and any language could qualify.

Choice of language and engine should come down to the project's needs and your own capabilities. If you know a different engine better than Unity choose that, but don't switch just because some random person said it was better. Verify that it's better and if it is switch for that reason.

Unless you're just making games for giggles in which case choose whichever tool interests you the most.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  3. Antypodish

Antypodish

That least relevant which language. I am not going pick rust or c++, if I am not profiecent in it. I would need spend at least two years in rust to get into decent level. Same will be opposite for others. Plus learning environment that programming is in.

Is ECS in one or other better? Without comparisons of real projects, it is really pointless debate. I use DOTS, but never used any other ECS, so I can not comment on.
    Plus unity offers much more than just ECS in DOTS packages.
    With DOTS I know I can make 100k moving stuff, or highly optimised fancy multithtreaded algorithms. That's what matters to me personally.

4. neginfinity

neginfinity

That's sounds a lot like another "The way of the future", "The New Rising Star Engine" that is "Going to be superior to unity" and so on.

Those come and go and Unity/unreal remain where they were.

If you want to work in unity, you'll want C#.
    For performance you'll probably want C++.

Rust had a lot of people trying to promote it couple of years ago, but currently on TIOBE it is placed lower than Prolog and Object Pascal. Although I suppose it still ranked higher than Haskell, so that's something(?)

So there's no point in picking it.

5. PutridEx

PutridEx

copy pasting my reply on a similar topic :p
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Way too early for bevy. I've seen most of the blog posts and what not.
    It's actually fairly basic right now, you can't do much in terms of games.
    It will be interesting to see it's state in in two years or so from now.

Speed isn't everything, ease of use also matters. I'm not really interested in DOTS, I like the current system.
    I'm not sure how good rust would be for game logic. Personally for me it feels like it's not gonna be fun lol.

Honestly though, if they want to get anywhere close in the 3D department (graphical features and else), ecosystem including asset store and tools (animations, editor, builds, terrain) it's gonna be a while, to catch up to unity especially HDRP and unreal engine.

And while that's happening, both engines are adding more features. In unity's department, HDRP is probably the one with the fastest and most active development. Compare to URP for example. Maybe a budget thing.

Although it is interesting for sure, and it's currently what's hot in th rust gamedev world.
    Problems with projects like this is, if the hype dies down, it'll go into obscurity. Like some other open source projects, including some rust game engine ones.
    Rust isn't really that popular, let alone bevy.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

I wouldn't hold out hope. Godot has had seven plus years and is nowhere near catching up to Unity. Open source engines are fun to play around with but at the end of the day they're not serious competition for closed source engines. A project with a couple full time developers simply cannot compete with a company of thousands.

7. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Don't duplicate topics. Closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.