Search Unity

Rust (Unity game)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ej2009, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ej2009

ej2009

Hi,

I couldn't find any info on Unity forums, so please forgive me if this was posted before.

Anyone playing game called Rust? It's developed by the same guy who created Garry's Mod and is made with Unity engine! Game is influenced by S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Minecraft and DayZ.

I was personally blown away what they've already achieved in early alpha, really fun to play. Looks like Unity can handle big worlds with 50+ players connected, not sure how hard was to achieve this though.

2. im

im

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  3. ej2009

ej2009

By posting this I thought it would be interesting to other Unity developers to see what is possible with Unity engine.

By the way, I'm in no way associated or know Garry Newman or his team (wouldn't mind to though, looks like a talented bunch).

4. kanga

kanga

Cant see a thing. What is it supposed to be?

5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I was wondering exactly the same thing.

6. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

worst website ever tbh...

7. dxcam1

dxcam1

Where's the game? It's just asking me for money.

8. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

My guess is that it's just a sales site which assumes you're already following the game from elsewhere.

9. ej2009

ej2009

Sorry, that link is to their website and I agree not much info.

For gameplay check youtube 'Rust gameplay' and you'll get general idea. There is hundreds of servers running this game already, some of them has 50-100 players connected at any time.

I thought it would be interesting from technical point of view what they have achieved. By the way game runs amazingly well for an early alpha (and is really fun to play).

10. ej2009

ej2009

To be fair they are not actively advertising game, they also limit number of alpha keys they sell. Website is only for current updates from developers (which is interesting to read sometimes e.g Unity 4.3 broke this and that), plus forum and link to a Dutch style auction for keys.

11. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

It's an interesting game, and fun tweak on gameplay. It will probably get a fairly big following.

However, I don't think an overly impressive example of what "is possible" with Unity. The graphics are fairly mundane, there are tons of other examples of much more fancy-shmancy graphics. (though obviously the graphics are the cool bit about this project). Technically everything show is pretty straight forward and not really on the edge. (from a tech/code side). The interesting bit it the game design itself.

I would say it is a impressive example of what is possible by a creative and driven developer leveraging Unity.

12. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

What I cant believe is that an alpha has raised 600k.

13. ej2009

ej2009

Interesting, do you know any other Unity games which supports >100 players online with graphics similar to Rust? Wouldn't mind checking them out..

Also, forgot to add, from what I understand most graphics are placeholder assets at the moment, so a lot will change, it's very early alpha after all.

BTW, how hard you reckon is to code something like this as a proof of concept using available assets? (including networking stuff as well) I have >20 years of coding experience, but not in gaming.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  14. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

The number of players online has nothing to do with the graphics, though. Graphics are almost all client side, number of players has to do with net code and the server.

@JamesLeeNZ, heard of Minecraft? Plus, there's the compounding factors of being on Steam and being from the Garry's Mod guy.

15. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Did they do something similar? (money wise).

Never cared about mc in the slightest tbh.

16. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah. They did pretty much exactly the same as this, but without a prior following and without any form of support from anything like Steam. They sold the game while still under development for $20 a pop via Paypal on their own website, and at somewhere around the $600,000 mark (or even $6mil? It was unprecedentedly high, anyhow) Paypal suspended the account to perform fraud checks because the whole thing was so out of the ordinary. This caused the Internet to scream rather a lot, which is how I heard about it (and is quite possibly a huge factor in how it got so popular, as I'm sure that amounted to a bucket load of additional advertising).

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  17. ej2009

ej2009

If they make it right, this game can be a huge success IMHO. I've paid $20 and already spent ~15 hours on it, while AAA game BF4 sits on desktop almost unplayed. :) Not saying BF4 is bad, but Rust is really fun for now.

18. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Sums it up nicely:
    There is no question that this can be done in Unity, (with better or worse graphics). The much more interesting and valuable question is how much quickly could they do in Unity vs. another solution. Given the design aspect is the core to this game, getting it up and running and being able to pivot and tweak the design variables and game add/change features and components, this type of games seems ideal to leverage Unity's strengths.

19. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Haha, I hear that... BF4 is currently sitting in my collection of games Ive hardly played, but thats because im spamming gta v online atm.

20. Kalinezh

Kalinezh

@JamesLeeNZ Just stumbled on your posts in 2022, does the game name ring a bell now? :D

EDIT for mods: I thought it wouldn't be a big deal if this post got revived, since it can have huge motivational value for many developers who have great ideas and are just starting out. But yeah sorry if I revived an old post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.