Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Runtime Navmesh generator is abandoned?

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by Artaani, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Artaani

Artaani

hippocoder and Romenics like this.
  2. GameDevCouple_I

GameDevCouple_I

The current state of navmeshcomponents / navmeshbuilder is not really clear, and Unity are not doing much to clear it up.

Still, if you think thats bad, you should look over at the Timeline / Playables forum. Now that is a proper mess.

hippocoder likes this.
  3. ferretnt

ferretnt

Or the UNET HLAPI...

4. GameDevCouple_I

GameDevCouple_I

Although let me also say that while you will find me moaning a lot about the current lack of communication from unity (which is inexcusable), I am still very much a unity fanboy and will be till I die.

5. Artaani

Artaani

Yeah. Same though. Unity is great, despite some recent wrong decisions, especially with UNET.

What about AI navigation, I discovered a A* from the asset store, and it is pretty much replaces Unity Navigation in most cases. So it is probably not a problem. Now we should find good replacement for UNET : )

Seems like the greatest achievement of Unity it is super flexible and convenient platform + Asset Store, which provides much more tools than Unity Technologies can develop.
    Support of new technologies is also very good. For example Unity is №1 for VR \ AR due recent additions in latest versions.
    "Collaborate" also quite good.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Romenics likes this.
  6. kenlem1

kenlem1

I believe the navmesh components on github are obsolete and most of the functionality is now in Unity 2017. I'm using 2017.3.0b8 and I'm able to build nav meshes at runtime.

It doesn't seem to generate off mesh links automatically which is bit of pain but it's working well.

7. ferretnt

ferretnt

When you say "I'm able to build navmeshes at runtime" what exactly do you mean (e.g. by providing a code snippet)? For example, without downloading the Github repo into your project, NavMeshSurface does not exist as a type in 2017.3.f1. Are you saying that you're calling NavMeshBuilder.BuildNavMeshData() static function at runtime to build your navmesh statically? Or something different?

8. kenlem1

kenlem1

NavMeshSurface isn't needed. You call NavMeshBuilder.CollectSources then NavMeshBuilder.BuildNavMesh.

I'll post code in a bit once I make a minimum sample.

ferretnt likes this.
  9. kenlem1

kenlem1

Shizola and Artaani like this.
  10. eDmitriy

eDmitriy

Hi! I wrote simple links generator for NavMesh Components
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/navmesh-links-generator-for-navmeshcomponents.515143/

11. Shizola

Shizola

This is odd, navmeshcomponents is abandoned but the features have been ported into the main engine? There are so many things that could be worked on, I was waiting for a navmeshagent collision matrix which I thought would be relatively simple? After probuilder maybe Unity will buy A*?

12. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

no you still need the github repo for the components, the low level API has been in unity since 5.6, just nothing new since then.

Shizola likes this.
  13. kilik128

kilik128

yes why have update navmesh on 2017 version and nothing on 18 19 ?

14. Artaani

Artaani

Not a big problem. I recommend to use A* Pathfinding Project Pro from asset store.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  15. Gabriel_SG

Gabriel_SG

16. StefDevs

StefDevs

I don't know what to believe any more. This API is beyond nuts...

17. Shizola

Shizola

18. Gabriel_SG

Gabriel_SG

Yeah I've used it. Works fine in 2019.3 beta

19. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

I tried this package and found this api useless. But fortunately you dont need it for runtime baking - Im doing runtime navmesh baking anyway, with just what is provided with engine
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NavMeshBuildSource
    2. NavMeshBuilder.BuildNavMeshData()