Search Unity

Runtime NavMesh Building?

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by Scornz, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Scornz

Scornz

Hello fellow Unity developers,

I am currently creating a first-person puzzle game that allows the player to make their own levels and play them. The player is allowed to edit the geometry, add obstacles, and also add enemies. The enemies have patrol waypoints that the player can modify and add when they would like. My problem here is that these enemies have been built entirely from Unity's NavMesh system, and as of currently, we can only build NavMeshes at runtime in the editor using the NavMeshBuilder class. I know of the NavMeshObstacle component, but this only carves out a section of the NavMesh and this does not fit my needs. If any insight could be given to help me, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. cefwyn

cefwyn

I've been looking into this as well. From what I can find the only option is to create your own NavMesh implementation which of course means you would need to change your enemy AI to work with that Navmesh system as well. It would be nice if there was functionality to just pass a navmesh into the system as "pre-baked." My current project requires generating a floor mesh in almost the same way a NavMesh is usually generated so it would be trivial if I could just pass the mesh into the Navigation system but no luck finding out how so far.

3. Scornz

Scornz

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I've been looking into making my own, but I would much rather use the code I already have. I have been looking into A* for quite some time and may switch, but I have no idea how to go about doing that :)

4. Dantus

Dantus

Untiy is aware of the limitation and is working on it. But, it won't land shortly in Unity. It was planned for Unity 5.4, but didn't make it. So the earliest will likely be 5.5 which is planned for June.
    http://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap

LeftyRighty likes this.
  5. cefwyn

cefwyn

That's great to hear. I understand why NavMesh generation isn't included into the engine by default because it's usually not trivial, but there are plenty of cases where the ground mesh could just be copied as the NavMesh unless I'm totally misunderstanding how Unity handles it's navigation system. It'll be interesting to see what's done in the plan.

6. Scornz

Scornz

Yeah, I was looking at the roadmap a little while ago and noticed it was the only one marked as delayed on the list :D

7. PJRM

PJRM

So, this content:

Means that "Bake API" will be a runtime-bake option to build up the navigation even if the terrain is dynamically generated?

8. Dantus

Dantus

Yes

Ash-Blue likes this.
  9. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

Nice! , MUCH needed functionality ..
    abouts June is okay i guess :/ lol

10. JBR-games

JBR-games

Im really looking forward to the navmesh api. Especially run time baking. If anyone has any new docs about it please post a link.