Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Runtime Level Design

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by XGT08, Jan 17, 2016.

1. ippdev

ippdev

I got your package initialized no problem. I turned things off and on no problem. I got alot done no problem. I did not need it active the entire time nor do I need any of the other functions that make it coupled strongly to it's subsystems. The issue was syphoning out one particular function which apparently cannot be decoupled from the entire system according to you. I do not want you to help me out as it is not help but a bunch of back and forth BS. get it? Color me frustrated that something that should be the basics of such a package as yours could not be grasped from the complexity that your asset is.

I do not like your attitude. You don't like mine. Fair enough. I will suck up the 25 bucks for your asset as it is comprehensive and when i have the time to read 39 pages of technical jargon regarding a dozen or more coupled systems of code to control it i will dig in and push it. 39 pages and you have the unmitigated gall to play games and act like I should have gone through 39 pages in minutes to extract one particular function that I have no idea what it's name would be..and I am assuming English to not be your primary language as the precision of some of your instructions are ambiguous to say the least.... Buy yourself a beer and hoist it in honor of simplicity. In the meantime your assumptions about my workflow are offbase and in the short time between my last post i already have 3/4ths of a transform gizmo system done that works for me. Pass it a gameObject transform and use the rings and axes to turn and translate it. Takes four functions and about 25 lines of code.Ya oughta consider implementing such a simple subsystem in your asset. Some folks do not want nor need the whole nine yards. I would think this was related to you throughout the entire thread where you had to keep giving control back to users who did not want you stepping on their already made subsystems of their frameworks.

2. teacoat

teacoat

Awesome asset, very useful and easy to use!

One thing I would like to do is make the gizmo and grid lines thicker, is there any way to do that?

Also wow @ippdev your comments are totally uncalled for and display a basic lack of understand of what this asset is or how it works. The documentation is clear and understandable (okay, the last few pages are a bit technical and could be nicer), and I read it in about 15 minutes and then used it as reference.

If you are still struggling with your super high end architecture project I suggest you put a script that has the OnAlteredByTransformGizmo function on it and then keep track of when the object moves that way and handle showing/hiding the editor application manually, its pretty simple. Your issue was you tried to throw a full featured editor with multiselect, undo/redo, and hotkeys, at something that you needed a simple barebones solution for.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Ignatius likes this.
  3. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there :)

I sent you a PM.

4. simsoftsinifta

simsoftsinifta

We are also using this asset in our project. So far, we are happy with the product. Though, I had to replace the triangles in the scale tool with a Unity-like uniform scale box, which is the scale mode we wanted by default. I think it would be nice to have an option to use uniform scale for scale gizmo by default.

I am having trouble registering object instantiation to the undo-redo system using a custom IUndoableAndRedoableAction. The problem is also reproducible with the duplicate tool as following:

1- duplicate an object
    2- select the duplicate (the one that is not selected after duplication)(you will have to move the selected duplicate object beforehand)
    3- undo until the duplication is undone
    4- redo until you receive the MissingReferenceException

It happens when an object registered to PostObjectSelectionChangedAction is destroyed on an undo operation (the duplicated object in this case). As PostObjectSelectionChangedAction keeps selected objects as GameObject references, the reference will be lost after the game object is destroyed. I was trying to find a way to restore the reference to the destroyed object with the newly created object in an elegant way and am open to any suggestions here.

5. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting me about this issue. I have managed to fix the problem and I sent you a PM with the updated package.

Cheers,
    Andrew

6. DannyWoo

DannyWoo

is this asset working on android too?

7. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

You can use the gizmos to manipulate objects on Android, but the camera only works for PC. You will have to use your own custom camera for mobile.

In all honesty, I do not recommend this asset for mobile development. The gizmos should be used to manipulate objects with a mouse, not with the fingers. Just my opinion :)

8. Teila

Teila

Great asset! I had forgotten about it until I was notified it was on sale. I do need this. :) Thanks.

Also, the ignore function I use liberally sometimes made reading the past few pages interesting. So sorry you publishers have to go through this. Just to let you know that many of us appreciate the work you do.

XGT08 likes this.
  9. XGT08

XGT08

Hi Teila,

Thank you very much! I appreciate it :)

10. Kashaevus

Kashaevus

Hi there,
    I have a problem
    Assets/Test.cs(7,14): error CS0535: `Test' does not implement interface member `RTEditor.IRTEditorEventListener.OnCanBeSelected(RTEditor.ObjectSelectEventArgs)'
    Assets/Test.cs(7,14): error CS0535: `Test' does not implement interface member `RTEditor.IRTEditorEventListener.OnSelected(RTEditor.ObjectSelectEventArgs)'
    Assets/Test.cs(7,14): error CS0535: `Test' does not implement interface member `RTEditor.IRTEditorEventListener.OnDeselected(RTEditor.ObjectDeselectEventArgs)'
    Assets/Test.cs(7,14): error CS0535: `Test' does not implement interface member `RTEditor.IRTEditorEventListener.OnAlteredByTransformGizmo(RTEditor.Gizmo)'

Script:
    using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using UnityEngine;
    using RTEditor;
    public class Test : MonoBehaviour, IRTEditorEventListener
    {

}
    Can you help ?

11. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

I have received the same e-mail from you and I already sent you a response. Please check your e-mail.

Cheers,
    Andrew

12. Kashaevus

Kashaevus

Ok. Thank you

13. mbussidk

mbussidk

Hi there,
    I bought your asset and I'm curious to know why I can only rotate around the Y axis...
    I started playing with the demo scene, and when I rotate an object around the X or Z axis it skews and distorts the object instead of rotating it. What am I doing wrong? I have the same behaviour both with local transforms and global transforms.
    Mind you, in my project at the moment I only need Y axis rotation, so this is not a burning issue for me right now. I'm still perplexed and trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Cheers,
    Max

14. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

The behaviour you are experiencing is due to the fact that the objects in the scene are attached as children of the platform on which they are sitting. And the platform has a non-uniform scale applied to it. If you unparent the solids, the skew effect will be removed. This is not a bug it's just the way rotation works when mixed with non-uniform scaling in 3D graphics. You might want to also take a look at this link.

The next update will fix the demo scene to eliminate this strange behavior.

All the best,
    Andrew

15. mbussidk

mbussidk

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. I knew it was something stupid and I had not looked at the scene structure. My bad.
    Thanks for the great asset.

Max

16. XGT08

XGT08

No problem :) Truth is it's a bit unintuitive. That's why I will change it in a future update.

17. sendal

sendal

Hi
    It is not the size change due to the change due to the camera movement.

Can I change the gizmo size at will?
    upload_2017-11-22_1-59-51.png

18. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

You can take a look inside the Documentation page number 10 (chapter 3.5.1 Common Gizmo Properties).
    There is a property called Gizmo Base Scale which allows you to change the size of the gizmo.

Cheers,
    Andrew

19. Cell-Freedom

Cell-Freedom

Hi ,
    I have a question , Can I just use Collider(boxcollider) to select whole object ?
    Like a car , it has many parts and each parts are indivisual .
    I want to create a empty object "root" of the car and add a box collider component, the root does't have mesh.
    Can I just select the root and it would select the whole object(car)?

20. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

So sorry for the late reply :)

If the parent object is not a mesh object, you will need to select the EditorObjectSelection object in the hierarchy view and then in the Inspector you have to check: Can select empty objects.

You could then capture the selection changed event to make sure that when a child is clicked or selected by the selection shape, its parent is selected instead. In that case, you will always have the guarantee that the plugin will select the parent and the entire group can be dragged:

So, create a selection changed event handler like so:
    void OnSelectionChanged(ObjectSelectionChangedEventArgs args)
    {
    if(args.SelectActionType != ObjectSelectActionType.None)
    {
    var objectsWhichWereSelected = args.SelectedObjects;
    foreach(var obj in objectsWhichWereSelected)
    {
    // The idea is to select the parent of the composite objects. In this example I assume
    // the parent will sit at the root.
    GameObject rootObject = obj.transform.root.gameObject;
    if(rootObject == obj) continue;
    EditorObjectSelection.Instance.AddObjectToSelection(rootObject , false);
    }
    }
    }
    This handler will ensure that when an object is about to be selected, its root will also be added to the selection. Then, when the gizmos are used to transform the objects, the gizmos will only transform the root and thus affect the children also. This is how you can treat the objects as a single entity. You might need to add more checks to the selection handler to customize it as you see fit.

So:
    1. register the handler somewhere in a Start function (anywhere you like - best place to do so would be somewhere where you keep your initialization code):
    EditorObjectSelection.SelectionChanged += OnSelectionChanged;
    2. select the EditorObjectSelection object in the hierarchy view and set the Selection box render mode field to FromTopToBottom. This will treat the entire hierarchy of objects as a single object when rendering the selection box. Not really necessary but it's good to know about it.

Hope this helps.
    Andrew

21. Cell-Freedom

Cell-Freedom

OK, Thanks fot your help. I will try :)

22. Straafe

Straafe

Hi there, and thanks for the stupendous asset. It is better than all of expectations so far, and I've been able to do a lot more with than I thought when I originally purchased! I do have one major problem, though. The camera seems to be having an odd "popping" or "snapping" issue in 2017.2 for me. It functions mostly as expected, but every once in a while it will "pop" a large amount of rotation more than expected, even though you have been holding down the mouse button and dragging at a constant speed. It happens with the normal rotate (just RMB) or the orbit rotate (default is Alt +RMB) I tried to record a video to help illustrate it, which you can see here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jhsr7uUfVMUdsqIBBKfIJV834bYZuxbM/view?usp=sharing

Sometimes it snaps a very large amount, like 90 degrees so you are instantly looking at the sky and what you saw a moment prior is completely out of view, or it snaps you all the way around so what you were just looking at is behind you. I do have my own camera control system to fall back on, but I liked your other camera features like Focus and how it integrated with your system so I was hoping to be able to use yours.

Other than that, one other thing I would like to do is to change the default orbit distance, or allow for a specific object to be orbited around. I see that when you use "F" to focus on an object, it does orbit around that object so long as you don't manipulate the camera at all after using "F", but if you zoom out it no longer does - even though the last focused object is further away, the orbit distance is still quite close. It would be nice if the orbit distance stayed with the object, even if you manipulate the camera, or if I could define an object that is always the orbit location and then I can control that orbit location's position as needed.

Finally, for some reason I can't select certain objects with unity colliders even with "use Unity Colliders" checked. You can recreate by making an empty gameobject, then adding a box collider (and resizing it), and then trying to select in in the game window - it doesn't select. In fact, it looks like checking "use Unity Colliders" doesn't actually do anything - it still uses the mesh filter/your custom API. One way I was able to get empty objects to select how I wanted in this system is to generate a cube bounding mesh filter on them at runtime the size of the "selectable area" I want, and then to not have a mesh renderer so it still is invisible/empty. If I do that, it does select using the custom generated cube bounding mesh, but for this work around I notice it does lag for 1-2 seconds to select objects set up in this way for some reason, even though the mesh is just a box.

Edit-
    Here's a better video of the camera snapping problem:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/13uSMjP95NhE_6LW5GgLkg2h5_P5MRLU8/view?usp=sharing

Edit-
    Answered more of my own questions

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  23. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply :)
    I will have to take a look at this in a few days. The Unity collider issue is especially weird. And the camera snap issue is unexpected. I believe I know what it is related to though. I will get back to you ASAP.

Cheers,
    Andrew

24. Straafe

Straafe

No problem, looking forward to it! And thanks again for the AWESOME asset. Definitely becoming one of my favorites the more I use it.

Edit - I was able to poach your Focus On Object camera functionality to work with my camera control system

Edit2 - Another small problem that I have is when I do generate a simple box mesh at runtime for your system to select, it takes a full 2-3 seconds to select it the first time you do (app hangs for 2-3 seconds). Then after that it works fine.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  25. Straafe

Straafe

Actually, it looks like the selection hang isn't necessarily because it's an empty gameobject, but might be because it has children objects with complicated meshes that are in a layer set to ignore. Even though they are in a layer your system is set to ignore, I have a feeling they are somehow bogging it down. If using colliders worked in your app it would solve my problem, but that doesn't seem to do anything (still uses mesh filter even when checked).

It's definitely lagging because of the other meshes, even though they are all in layers set to be unselectable in the system, because when I disable them and test it out, it select instantly/perfectly.

26. XGT08

XGT08

When you select a mesh for the first time, there is bound to be a small lag because the system has to create the necessary data structure that allows you to interact with the objects without colliders. However, I doubt that a simple box can create a 2-3 second lag. For a simple box this entire process should be instant. Is it a tessalated box with many levels of tessalation?

Also note that when you click in the scene, the system will check the intersection with all objects and returns the resulting list sorted by distance from camera. Then this list is further filtered by taking into account settings such as selectable layers etc.

I will take a look today at the using colliders issue.

27. XGT08

XGT08

@Straafe

Regarding the Use unity colliders issue, for empty objects, you have to ensure that Can select empty objects is checked inside the EditorObjectSelection Inspector UI. Now looking into the camera snap issue.

28. XGT08

XGT08

@Straafe

Hi again,

So let's talk about the issues:
    1. Use Unity colliders - this was related to the fact that you have to check the Can select empty obejcts in the EditorObjectSelection Inspector;
    2. camera focus point - fixed;
    3. lag when clicking on objects - The only way to ameliorate this for now is to remove the lag at app startup, by doing this:
    EditorMeshDatabase.Instance.BuildAllMeshesInScene();

Note: If you create new objects in the scene which use meshes that were not present at scene startup, this will still cause lag the first time you interact with those new meshes.

4. camera rotation snap. I have not been able to reproduce the issue. However, I did replace the camera rotation input logic with something that i consider to be a better solution and i believe this is where the possible bug resided. Do you think you could let me know if the snap issue has been fixed?

I sent you a PM with the updated package.

All the best,
    Andrew

29. inakiktp

inakiktp

Hi @XGT08 ,

We are using your awesome asset in our project (thanks for doing it really) and I run into a small problem, or maybe I just do not completely understand why it happens. I updated your asset yesterday.

I have a "Main/Loader" scene, which loads additively other scenes, among them one with the RTGizmoEditor, and whenever I select a "selectable object" and change the Gizmo Type, the object autoDeselects itself :O.

I tried to reproduce this problem in 2 ways (without success):
    1) I used your DemoScene, and everything works as expected.
    2) I used an empty scene which loads additively your DemoScene, and again everything works as expected.

Do you have any idea of what could be causing this? Or is there anything I can send you so you can have a look at it? I could do a small screen video and send it to you if that helps.

Thanks.

30. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Apologies for running into this issue. It is definitely a weird behaviour. Changing the active gizmo should not affect the selection in any way. It is the other way around.

I will definitely help you out, but I will need a bit more info from you. Do you activate a new gizmo by code or via the shortcut keys? A small video would be great and if you are using the RTG API in your code (e.g. selection changed handlers etc) a few screenshots with the code would help a lot.

Thank you for contacting me.
    Andrew

31. inakiktp

inakiktp

Hi @XGT08 ,

Sorry for the late reply, I have been ill. What would be the best way to send you the videos? Apparently they are too big.

I have activated the change of gizmo both ways (or so I think), through code and through your shortcut keys. In both cases, when I loaded the scene from my main scene, the object got automatically deselected.
    • I am using my own camera, just in case that helps.
    • I have not modified EditorUndo, EditorMesh, ListenerDatabase, InputDevice, SceneGizmo.
    • On the Gizmos, I have only changed their scaled, increased to 2.
    • Selectable objects are all on RTG_Pickable.
    Please find attached my custom script and some images.

Attached Files:

32. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

No problem for the late reply. As you can see, I'm also late for the party :D
    Hope you're feeling better!

I believe there will not be any need to record a video. But I do have some more questions just to make sure I understood correctly.

So you start off with a scene which contains the RTG game objects. You select a game object, switch to another scene and then come back and the object is no longer selected?
    Can you list the exact steps to reproduce the error?

Thanks and sorry for the late reply,
    Andrew

33. inakiktp

inakiktp

Hi @XGT08,

No worries. Yeah, I am feeling better, thanks.

Setup:
    1. Scene A and Scene B
    2. Scene B contains RTGizmo & object
    Steps:
    1. Play from Scene A
    2. Wait for Scene A to load Scene B
    3. Click object from Scene B which will select it
    4. Press W, E, R or other key that changes the Active Gizmo, and the object will automatically deselect itself.
    This does not happen if you make Scene A load your Asset Demo Scene.

34. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Ok. Thanks you very much for the detailed info. I understand the steps now. I will get back to you as soon as I have a solution for this.

Thanks,
    Andrew

35. XGT08

XGT08

Hi @inakiktp

I tried to reproduce the issue, but I'm afraid I didn't manage to do so.

Here's what I did:
    1. Created 2 scenes A and B.
    2. Scene B contains RTG hierarchy and a single cube.
    3. Scene A contains a game object with a scene switch script attached to it as shown in the following image:
    LoadScene.png

So when I press the Space key, it loads scene B. I can then select the cube and press W,E,R etc and it works fine.

I also tried, loading the scene automatically from Start and it also worked. As you can see, I am using SceneManager.LoadScene. I also tried the deprecated Application.LoadLevelAdditive. And I tried setting the LoadSceneMode to Single as well. Still no issues.

Do you think there is anything else here that I am missing in terms of steps. Maybe the scene loading should be done in a different manner?

36. inakiktp

inakiktp

Hi @XGT08 ,

Yeah, this is why I wanted to send you a video of it since when I tried to make a small repro project of it, I was not able to reproduce it.

I will discuss with my manager about sending you the project as a whole so you can have a better look at it because we are still experiencing this issue.

Another question I have is, is there a way to turn on Gizmos through code? I know I can turn them off, but I have not been able to see how to turn them on, did I miss it?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  37. XGT08

XGT08

Hi,

I sent you a PM :)

38. inakiktp

inakiktp

I can answer myself.

Rather than turning the Gizmos "On/Off", I found you have an API call to set which Gizmos are available and which ones not, so I am using that. :)

EditorGizmoSystem.Instance.SetGizmoTypeAvailable(GizmoType.Scale, true);

XGT08 likes this.
  39. XGT08

XGT08

Yes. That is correct :)

40. Ibukii

Ibukii

Hi,

I have a few questions. My application does not require the use of scaling. It also does not require translation of the y axis. Would it be easy to remove those functionalities? Would it be possible to change the rotation gizmo to a simpler type?

Also, can I check if the plugin is indeed opensource?

Thanks for the help.

41. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

"Also, can I check if the plugin is indeed opensource?"
    I don't really understand this question. First of all, where do I promise that this plugin is opensource????

Here is a wikipedia definition: "Open-source software (OSS) is a type of computer software with its source code made available with a license in which the copyright holder provides the rights to study, change, and distribute the software to anyone and for any purpose."

From my point of view, feel free to study and change the heck out of it for your own personal use. However, redistribution of any kind is forbidden. I did not become an asset store publisher to work my ass off and then have people share my work with others because they don't understand the concept of hard work. Questions like these annoy the living hell out of me.

Regarding the other questions. You can disable the gizmos that you don't need.
    The rotation gizmo can be customized to a certain extent, but I don't know what "simpler" means exactly so I can't give you a correct answer.

42. Ibukii

Ibukii

Chill. I'm only asking if I can edit your code as we like. And no dll is inside your asset.

43. XGT08

XGT08

No. I'm not going to chill. Learn to ask the correct questions and then I'm going to chill.

For any legal related questions, it would be best to ask Unity. I've already told you where I stand in my previous post: From my point of view, feel free to study and change the heck out of it for your own personal use. However, redistribution of any kind is forbidden.

It is the redistribution part that I have a problem with.

No there isn't. I keep making the mistake of assuming most people have common sense.

44. Cell-Freedom

Cell-Freedom

It works great for last support , but i have few question to ask below:
    1. If I use Unity's PhsyicRaycaster , it seems to block the operation of
      RuntimeTransformGizmos.
    2. Anyway to draw the selection box corner instead of using GL, because I have some UI would be overlaped
    I sent the email before , but it seems the mail not send correctly?

45. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Honestly, I don't remember conversing on my e-mail. So it probably did not arrive. Just in case you got the e-mail wrong, this is the correct e-mail address: octamodius@yahoo.com

Regarding the PhysicsRaycaster, do you think it is possible to provide more details? What is it that you are trying to accomplish? Does RTTGizmos crash or halt?

Regarding GL, I'm afraid I can not replace the GL code at the moment.

46. Ibukii

Ibukii

Hi,

Your plugin works very well as intended. I have a small question. If I do not want my user to remember hotkeys and provide additional buttons for let's say Undo/Redo, is it possible? If so, can you explain to me how to do it? Correct me if I'm wrong but I did not come across the info in the documentations.

Can I change the thickness of the line for the rotation gizmo?

Also, is there a method to change the type gizmo to another? For example if I want the rotation gizmo to have an arrow circling the object selected?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  47. Cell-Freedom

Cell-Freedom

Thanks for your replay .
    The 1st question : I have some gameobjects on the plane.
    1. Double click left mouse any one gameobject then pop up a UI to show some info. (using Unity Event IPointClickerHandler)
    2. Multiple select by using mouse draw a rect to select many gameobjects(using Runtime Transform Gizmos).
    So I made a camera with PhysicRaycaster to make unit(3D GameObject) to receive UI Events,It seems multi-select function cannot work, the rect cannot cover the plane(the plane receiving the Rayscaster Event).

An alternative way to integrated two functions ? (Now my situation is enable/disable Raycaster Component when needed)

Sorry my bad English...

Attached Files:

• 111.jpg
      111.jpg
      File size:
      41.3 KB
      Views:
  48. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

I managed to fix the issue. I sent you a PM with the link to the updated package.

Cheers,
    Andrew

49. XGT08

XGT08

Hotkeys ca be changed from the Inspector. They can also be changed programatically. Here is a screenshot taken from Scripts/Input/ShortcutKeys.cs:

SHKeys.png

Now I don't fully understand what you are trying to do. There are hotkeys that need to be used. Users have to become accustomed with the hotkeys. Every piece of software that I've ever heard of contains hotkeys. Again, they can be changed from the Inspector and programatically.

Not in this version. But this will be available in the future.

Regarding Undo/Redo, in that case it's a bit different. The hotkeys are kind of hardcoded because I never thought there would be any need to change them. You can change them inside the Scripts/Editor Undo Redo System/EditorUndoRedoSystem.cs inside the Update function. I strongly advise against it though. Undo/Redo is 99% of the time implemented with CTRL + Z/ CTRL + Y.

I honestly do not understand what you mean.

I'm afraid that is not possible.

50. Ibukii

Ibukii

Thanks for the comprehensive response.