Search Unity

Runtime Animation Rig transforms reset every time I change a custom playable graph.

Discussion in 'Animation Rigging' started by CptKen, Oct 10, 2019.

1. CptKen

CptKen

Hi,

In my animation system, I often destroy and create new animation clip playables at run-time. There's no getting around this in my system.

For some reason, every time I do this it resets the animation rig back to default positions. If I make an empty test game object as a child of the character and move it around at run time it does not reset, only if it is a rigging constraint.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any way around this? Am I missing some obscure setting?

I can certainly think of some workarounds but I'd prefer not to have to go down that path.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    cpunitypro20 and LudiKha like this.
  2. CptKen

CptKen

Some additional information:

So it would appear that this only occurs to child-game objects that are rigging constraints. I tested with an empty game object that was not part of a rig and it wasn't being reset.

This makes me think that the rigging constraints are being added to the animation stream (which makes sense). What doesn't make sense is why creating and connecting a new clip playable to a mixer would reset the entire animation state. Fortunately my animation playables put the character back in order immediately before any rendering. However, since the constraints are moved through code outside of the animation loop, they get reset and there is no recovering from that.

The only way I can see to workaround this is to cache the constraint positions before the animation update. Then, have a custom playable which moves the constraints back to where they should be between my custom playable graph and the animation rigging playable graph. This seems super messy and I would prefer not to do it if possible.

Of course I could have all the IK logic run in the animation update but since this is an asset I'd prefer to not have to force my customers to do that.

3. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Changing the PlayableGraph at runtime will trigger a Rebind operation on the Animator. This indeed resets the animation state on the Animator and recalculate the default values using the current scene values as basis. Since Animation Rigging registers additional transforms and properties in the Animation Stream that are not animated by clips, they will likely be updated with new default values that do not match the prior animation state.

You can try calling `Animator.WriteDefaultValues()` to force the default values back in the scene in order for the next Rebind to use the initial scene values:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Animator.WriteDefaultValues.html

CptKen likes this.
  4. CptKen

CptKen

Thanks for the response. Appreciate it. I will try this.

5. CptKen

CptKen

So this sounded good in theory but it didn't really work. Is there any particular place I should be calling WriteDefaultValues() ?

It makes sense to me to call it during a regular update right after moving the IK targets. However, there has no effect. I also tried in a number of other places but no luck.

6. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Hi,

So, I was thinking of calling `WriteDefaultValues()` just before you're about to change the PlayableGraph that triggers a rebind operation on the Animator. This way, you make sure that the current values in scene match what they were when you first initialized the Animator.

Of course, rebinding the Animator like that is very costly and should be used sparingly...

Also, one important thing to note is that we added a sorting order to the PlayableGraph outputs in 2019.3 to solve many issues we had with playable graph evaluation order. Now, Animation Rigging (with a sorting order of 1000) should always evaluate after other PlayableGraph (default sorting order of 100) unless they explicitly change their sorting order...

CptKen likes this.
  7. 479813005

Call WriteDefaultValues or Rebind don't work before i change my playgraph.

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...playableextensions-dot-connectinput-is-called

LiQinming_Pwrd and CptKen like this.
  8. CptKen

CptKen

9. LiQinming_Pwrd

LiQinming_Pwrd

The same thing happened to me. And parameters in the animator controller get reset too when creating and connecting a new clip playable to a mixer.

10. JohnTomorrow

JohnTomorrow

This needs to be fixed. It makes playables unusable with animation rigging. I can try to get around it by moving the targets out of the rig but the rig weights will reset to the default values. If I try to set these weights from another script there is a flicker before the update frame sets the value back.

11. Oniros88

Oniros88

Exactly the same issue. I swap runtimeanimationcontrollers and there is a very fast flicker of said weights and specially constraints positions. The animations themselves swap out smoothly without any issue, its just the rigging part.

12. heartshapedbox

heartshapedbox

Any solution for this?
    I set weight value to 0 for default, and i set it to 1 when it meets the condition.
    but even if the condition is met, when the another animation played, the weight value return to default value(0)
    so there is a flicker...

13. cpunitypro20

cpunitypro20

14. HitsuSan

HitsuSan

It baffles me to find that a core animation feature in Unity doesn't work with a REQUIRED animation feature in modern games... it's like you guys never even attempted to make a game with this engine isn't it?

15. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

16. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

Anything?

17. Nick_D

Nick_D

18. HitsuSan

HitsuSan

Well... calling WriteDefaultValues() it's actually reverting my ik targets at their default values. Should i even ask...? Nobody seems to care at this point.

Though by desperation i've found out that if you set an animation layer to 0.00001f or something very low that's not zero it's not going to stop the layer and redraw the playable so it never triggers a rebuild. The animations are still going to play in the background though so this might be a bit of a hit on performance but your ik systems will not be affected :\