Search Unity

Runny Runny Man

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TibiTibith, Aug 9, 2016.

1. TibiTibith

TibiTibith

Hey, guys!

So this is my first thread here. I will post progress on a game that a friend and I are working on. An infinite runner to be more precise, because maybe we don't have enough of those :p

I appreciate any kind of feedback, critique and even rudeness. Do unto me as you would onto yourself :D

Here's a couple of GIFs of the current progress - keep in mind that this is pretty early WIP:

Gameplay so far

A piece of a background

Run cycle for the main guy

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    Fissll, theANMATOR2b and RavenOfCode like this.
  2. Haagndaaz

Haagndaaz

I like this! I appreciate the subtlety of the platforms and cars bouncing under his weight when he jumps on them. This looks very clean and well executed. Good job and looking forward to seeing more!

TibiTibith likes this.
  3. TibiTibith

TibiTibith

Thank you very much! I always find it hard to tweak the physics to properly give the right amount of feedback. Not too much that it looks over-the-top, but not too little that it's barely noticeable. Really ghad you like it! There will be more, yes! :D

4. scarpelius

scarpelius

Thumbs up, wait to see it with sounds and music :)

TibiTibith likes this.
  5. TibiTibith

TibiTibith

Thanks, partner! :)

Here's a new truck:

Haagndaaz likes this.
  6. Azami1986

Azami1986

Looks nice dude. Nice art!

TibiTibith likes this.
  7. WhatMade

WhatMade

Looks awesome! For some reason though it reminded me of that old Michael Douglas movie Falling Down...not sure why but, if you're ever looking for some additional features using a rocket launcher to clear traffic may work :D

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. scarpelius

scarpelius

That's an ideea .
    Extra special level where you get a shotgun and can blast anyone :D

9. TibiTibith

TibiTibith

Thank you very much! Glad you like it! More to come :p

Thanks, man! I think it's because of the whole "When Business Men Go Wild" theme going on :D

I don't mind me some blood and gore :D I can't wait to implement the explosions we talked about!

Here's the latest WIP - it's a bar. I want all the misc objects on the table to be rigidbodies and maybe breakable by the player:

10. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

That truck is begging for a logo on the side. Maybe offer to promote a couple other indie dev's games in your game. That would be cool. Exclusive cross promotion deal for the devs on the forum only.
    I believe someone else mentioned this concept before, I can't remember who though?

TibiTibith likes this.
  11. TibiTibith

TibiTibith

Already made a logo on it, but it's placeholder - your proposal sounds pretty neat and win-win :D Do you have anyone in mind? ;)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  12. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Anybody who is working on a modern era pixel art game should be a good fit. Unfortunately I'm working on a fantasy type thing - probably wouldn't look too good with a big bloody ogre head on the side. :)

13. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Good aesthetics. Sensible. Modern. Hip. Young man runs around a city chasing that dollar. Is he a businessman late to work? Is he on the run from the cops? Doesn't matter. He has a briefcase, so he must run. 10/10 predict success.

Seems like Portland.

GarBenjamin and scarpelius like this.
  14. TibiTibith

TibiTibith

I like eclectic stuff and would actually prefer things to be just a little out of place and off, tbh :p

Thank you loads, man! Your comments really made my whole week! :D You described perfectly the mood I'm after! Cheers! PS - It's actually Bucharest :p

And here's some ragdoll physics crazy S***:

15. bradshep

bradshep

I really like the aesthetic of this game: the pixel art is good, the physics feature is different, and the guy is running around with a briefcase! The character could be Johnny Bravo's younger, slimmer brother. I feel like something should be chasing him, kind of like in Dino Run. Are there going to be upgrades of any kind? Different levels?

16. TibiTibith

TibiTibith

Hey, thank you! :D There will be cops chasing him, actually, because the game's premise is that you are a businessman who doesn't pay taxes, but that cannot go unpunished, so you run! There are going to be different levels, each based upon a different social level. Right now what you see is the poor district of the city. On upgrades we're not sure yet. It's still early in development, so time will tell!

And a first piece of proto-promo material:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    bradshep likes this.
  17. TibiTibith

TibiTibith

We've been busy and this weekend is off to a promising start :D

Haagndaaz and theANMATOR2b like this.
  18. TibiTibith

TibiTibith

New Gameplay GIF! We still have a lot of stuff to do - mainly powerups, things that kill you and UI elements. Some falling flower pots, rabid stray dogs, and some $$ bills.

And some out of breath cop:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  19. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Good update - Coming along nicely.
    Out of breath animation could be pushed a little more imo. From the chest up he seems a little stiff. Could give some head drooping/bobbing to sell the tired feeling more.

I noticed an interesting aspect on the gameplay gif - the main character moves back and forth while running, after jumping over the taxi. That's kinda innovative from other runners I've researched and played. Did you get that idea from another game?
    Care to share your idea/decision to add this 'extra control' ability applied to the character? I like it - I think it adds just a little bit more 'ability' to the player to be able to control the character - improving the common and stale tap to jump, swipe to slide/dodge controls of runners.

Have you considered adding a little lean forward to the cycle if the player pushes the character forward/right and a little lean back when the player character is 'slowed' - moving back towards the center of the screen? Might sell the control ability even more - if this is an aspect you would like to show off as unique/innovative.

TibiTibith likes this.
  20. ToshoDaimos

ToshoDaimos

I like your pixel art! There are so many runners though...

TibiTibith likes this.
  21. TibiTibith

TibiTibith

Thank you! :D
    Yeah, for the animation to look more "out-of-breath-y", the guy should do precisely as you said, but it was supposed to be an idle animation at first, but I got a little carried away. Will implement more tiredness, though, next time 'round :D

I have seen this kind of horizontal movement control in a runner for the first time in Magma Tsunami, but I think I woul've pressured my programmer to do the same thing anyways :p I insisted upon this because we will release on Steam (first) and I don't see the point in a single-button PC runner when you have an entire keyboard in front of you. Also you can identify with the avatar more.

Yes, animations for run faster and slower are indeed on the way. Also, animation speed matching the player's speed is in the works, too. Also a front flip double jump :D

Thank you! Yes, there are a f**kload of runners allover the place. We're keeping it safe as this our first test project together. If successful (more than 100 people actually play the thing), then we will make something a little more interesting, gameplay and genre wise :p

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  22. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Same argument could be said about first person shooters.
    There are a high number of runners - but only a select few each year are good. So keep it up!

TibiTibith likes this.
  23. josehzz112

josehzz112

I'm amazed by the background buildings :)

TibiTibith likes this.
  24. First_

First_

pixel art is looks great i could see my playing the game just to look at art gj man ;)

TibiTibith likes this.
  25. j03d4d

j03d4d

At first I was thinking meh... but then I saw the platforms that would react to your character landing on it with a sort of a spring effect that slowly pulls the platform back up. I think you should add lots of interactive things like that, that would affect the game play. Maybe trampolines that bounce you up to get a coin or some sort of power up. The pot hole was good too.

TibiTibith likes this.
  26. TibiTibith

TibiTibith

Thank you, man! Hope we're gonna be in that select few :D

Thank you! I spent more than a week just on those. Gad you like them :D

Thank you very much! It's comments like yours that push me to make better stuff! Thanks a lot!

I really like the good and subtle kind of feedback, the kind that's immersive, but not too in-your-face. It's going to get even more feedback-y :D Trampoline idea is great, too. Thanks! :D And on that note..

Gameplay WIP - want some pot?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  27. adi4x

adi4x

looks great! I love the graphic style

TibiTibith likes this.
  28. TibiTibith

TibiTibith

Thank you! :D

Update - new enemy - the stray dog! (PS - some links to GIFs here seem to be broken and I don't know why. If any of you knows why this is, please inform me :p)