Search Unity

Running win Unity.exe on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux Editor' started by MostHated, Oct 11, 2019.

1. MostHated

MostHated

Hey all,
    I have been able to get Unity.exe working on Ubuntu using opengl core. Has anyone had success running it on Vulkan? I would love to be able to use HDRP and such without having to install Windows on another drive and have to restart and switch back and forth. I would imagine DX11 probably doesn't work? I just got a black screen when I tried it initially.

Using glcore I was able to get in and such. I tried to create a new HDRP project, but I am guessing glcore won't work with HDRP, hence the shader issue below?

Unfortunately, it seems to just hang if I try to launch with -force-vulkan

Thanks,
    -MH

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Unity.exe? Are you trying to run Windows Editor on Linux?

3. MostHated

MostHated

Yeah, was just wondering how it would run, considering how great Lutris/Wine/Proton and things of that nature worked. I was able to run Windows Battlefield 5 at max settings on Ubuntu with no problem, so I figured I would see how Unity ran. The pic I posted above is the Windows version of 2019.3.0b6 running on Ubuntu and for the most part it ran very well. It didn't have a lot of the resizing issues that the native Linux editor did but I could only seem to get it working with OpenGL Core and no Vulcan. I only spent and hour or so, though trying to get it to work. If you look in the bottom left hand corner of the image above, that is the error I was getting, which was pretty much keeping HDRP from rendering, I believe, which is why it's showing the error shader. Everything else about the editor ran a lot smoother than the actual native editor.

The only reason I wanted to try it in the first place was I was unable to get LWRP/URP or HDRP working on Linux. URP kept having graphical glitches / rainbow coloring which lead to the locking up my PC, and HDRP would not allow the editor to open at all, even on a brand new project. So I thought it might be worth seeing if I could get the Windows version working.

All said and done though, I just needed things to work properly so I had to install Windows on a separate ssd and installed Unity on there for my HDRP project. As new updates to the Unity editor for Linux come out, I will go back and test each one until things are working properly on Linux as I can't wait to not have to keep jumping back and forth as I use Linux for literally everything else but Unity. So I have my fingers crossed the Linux version of the editor soon catches up in stability and usability of the Windows version so I can stop wasting space on my drives with Windows, lol.

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you file issues you encountered using Linux editor (not Windows Editor on Linux) as bugs?