Search Unity

Running which oculus runtime on Unity 5.2 Personal for my students on win10

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by iejun, Sep 14, 2015.

1. iejun

iejun

Hi all,

During my research to use Oculus and Unity Pro 5.0 for school i used windows7 and runtime 0.5.
    To view the result i dragged the game window to the extended Oculus and with some positioning i had a decent result. This was half a year ago.

Meanwhile i updated my windows7 with unity Pro 5.2 and runtime 0.7 and am getting no signal whats so ever. I tried all the settings ...even removed the OVR plugin and set player settings in "virtual reality supported" ...no signal.

Now in the end ...it will run on win10 ...with the latest unity personal 5.2 version ...i read that 0.7 runtime is the only one supported ...is this already tested by other users ? are there any issues i need to investigate ?

all tips are welcome

thx Ian

2. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

To get it to work I use Unity Pro 5.2.0f3, Oculus run-time v1.9 (SDK 0.7.0.0), and Visual Studios Enterprise 2015, Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB 64-bit (all versions should work). For hardware I use a i7 3.95GHz 32GB ram with a Nvidia 780m 4GB DDR5. I use the 355.83_geforce_win10_64bit_international. I over clock the 780m to 648MHz and ram to 3000MHz.

I select Virtual Reality Supported in player settings, This now works and automatically sends the video output directly to the device. I then use the Microsoft Xbox One controller for Windows 10 for user input.

With this configured I can do complex AAA quality scenes at native resolution @90-180fps (vsync off).

Old onGUI draws are not sent to Rift, use the new Canvas System for all UI elements. Do not draw UI at 0cm screen depth, display them in 3D with a depth of at least 20cm distance, any closer hurts the eyes.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  3. iejun

iejun

what so you mean with new canvas system ....? Ok got it working ...forgot to update the drivers to 355....now when i run the game to the Oculus i get a glitch in the right corner of the Oculus ...any ideas ?

4. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

The new Canvas System is the 4.6 UI that was added to replace the old onGUI.

The major source of glitches I found are from CPU and GPU not drawing fast enough. You can see stretching on the edge of the visible area on the OVR when the viewport is not rendered fast enough. Make sure you can provide enough FPS for the HMD. A game should maintain these resolutions and at least these frame rates. 1280x720@60Hz, 1080x1920@75Hz for DK2, 2160x1200@90Hz for CV1.

Make sure you don't have any apps that have overlay pop-up enabled, like battle.net, virus scanners, firewall etc.

5. iejun

iejun

i think i got it removed by turning off Vsync in my settings of gpu card ...not seeing it anymore.

thx for the help

6. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

Probably a to low of a frame rate from the GPU with v-sync on.

Keep an eye on https://developer.nvidia.com/virtual-reality-development. This will allow for VR SLI on newer GPU's. With each eye rendered by a single GPU in SLI. and soon to add Multi-res shading. This will greatly increases performance on AAA VR games.

7. iejun

iejun

mmm even with sync off it glitches....but its sometimes ...not everytime ....what about pre rendering frames in settings nvidia

8. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

You don't want to pre-render any frames in VR, you want the fastest fill rate for the video buffer. Low Photon latency is key. the Frames need to be drawn fast and with out frame drops, or graphic errors. this is why Oculus bumped up the required spec's for retail release.

What hardware are you trying it out on?

9. iejun

iejun

Alienware M18x r2
    I7 2866QM 2.5ghz
    24 gb ram
    dual gpu gtx560m

10. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

A laptop and gtx560 could be playing an issue for Oculus Rift SDK 0.7 and the Nvidia Gameworks VR + Nvidia 355.83 VR Drivers.

"GPUs below Nvidia GTX 600 series or AMD Radeon HD 7000 series are not supported. In addition, laptops typically are not supported well or at all (especially if they include Nvidia Optimus or AMD Switchable Graphics)."

Also the GTX 560m model only has the same performance equivalent to a GTS 450 on desktops. Granted it's dual SLI'd but still lacking a lot of the punch needed just to meet min specs. I have same issues with my 780m 4GB card, lucky I my card could be overclock to make it 4x the speed it was running at. And run back at the chips designed native speed, at the cost of heat issues. I turn on the overclocking only when the OVR is in use.

Edit:: The extensive spec increase has been an issue with a lot of dev's that purchased devkits early with out knowing the final min specs. Gameworks VR really increased the hardware requirements, but rightfully so as it greatly improves the quality of play. Which is VERY important for VR. A VR game will require just over 3x the GPU power of a standard 1080p rendered display of the same game.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  11. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

With Nvidia 355.83 drivers you can try manually adjusting the GPU performance profile, if it is unlocked. This is what I had to do on some of my mobile laptops when testing.

Open the Nvidia Control Panel -> Performance -> set to custom -> adjust Graphics Clock to max, and Memory Clock to max. -> adjust Cooling to 100%. -> save new profile.

Install a GPU heat monitor tool from the net. Google for one you prefer.

Then test for performance gains. Also check Bios if Nvidia Optimus can be disabled to prevent the Intel HD graphics 4000 series IGFX from loading instead of the Nvidia GPU. auto switching GPU's doesn't work well with the OVR.

12. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

When I test a hardware with a scene in standard monitor mode, I bench mark for

225-270 fps​

Which is 3x 75fps for DK2 and 3x 90fps for CV1. For use on DK2 if my scene runs at 1920x1080@60Hz on standard monitor mode with anything less then 150FPS I fail the test as grade F.

13. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

iejun

A trick you might be able to use to see if it helps with performance. Try adjusting this parameter to scale the rendered to gain performance.

UnityEngine.VR.VRSettings.renderScale

Controls the texel:pixel ratio before lens correction, trading performance for sharpness.

Eye textures are allocated to match the largest value encountered at runtime. If the value increases beyond this, eye textures are re-allocated. If the value decreases, viewport scaling is used.

The value of renderScale is equal to nativeTextureScale * virtualTextureScale. If you set renderScale to a value that is less than or equal to any value it has had since the application started, then virtual texture scaling will be used. If you increase it higher, to a new maximum value, then the native scale is increased and the virtual scale is set to 1

14. zkaiser

zkaiser

Hi all,
    I have Unity 5.2.0f3 version installed in iMac with OS X Yosemite and I´m trying to run Oculus Rift DK2.
    I have installed runtime and I see correctly demo scene but in unity when I build a proyect with OculusUtilities integrated or when I see it in the editor, camera rotates accordingly with Oculus rotation but scene is not seen in the device. It is like the signal from unity doesn´t arrive to glasses!!!
    Do you know what can it be??

Thanks in advance.

15. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

Oculus PC SDK 0.7
    Note that Direct Driver Mode requires new drivers from NVIDIA and AMD, particularly for Kepler (GTX 645 or better) and GCN (HD 7730 or better) architectures, respectively.

This is the hardware that we recommend for the full Rift experience:

• NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
    • Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
    • 8GB+ RAM
    • Windows 7 SP1 or newer
    • 2x USB 3.0 ports
    • HDMI 1.3 video output supporting a 297MHz clock via a direct output architecture

16. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

They dropped OS X support, on OS X you can only use Rift VR with the much older SDK and assets. not the new Gameworks VR method integrated into Unity 5.2. The Rift is not displaying an image because the Direct Driver Mode is only on Windows & SP1 or higher.

17. zkaiser

zkaiser

Understood!!
    Broten, thanks for your quick response!!! I will try with older versions of Rift for the iMac.

18. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

I use an iMac to, so I understand the frustration of the Oculus going with Windows Drivers rather then the older method. I installed bootcamp, and created a Windows 10 Enterprise install. I now use this for all my VR development. The performance and quality greatly out matches what I had on OS X with the old Oculus SDK and run-time on MAC. The improvements of the new VR and Direct Driver Mode, is incredibly more efficient then the OS X version was.

19. iejun

iejun

hi Broten, i cant find the option you mentioned:

Nvidia Control Panel -> Performance -> set to custom -> adjust Graphics Clock to max, and Memory Clock to max

20. iejun

iejun

ok am getting lost here....still no signal under win10 edu and 0.7 due my gpu

and if i would keep the win10 and 0.7 then what laptop would meet the requirements ?

so i guess goiing back to win8.1 and 0.6 runtime is the only sollution

21. iejun

iejun

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  22. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

1. The mobile GPU you have might not have the ability to be over-clocked enabled.
    2. Yes going back to v0.6 would be the go to run-time for you it looks like, especially if you had it working before.
    3. Regarding a GTX 980M it is a mobile GPU. That is what the M stands for, Oculus stated that the v0.7 run-time does not function favorably on mobile GPU's.
    "GPUs below Nvidia GTX 600 series or AMD Radeon HD 7000 series are not supported. In addition, laptops typically are not supported well or at all (especially if they include Nvidia Optimus or AMD Switchable Graphics)."
    Purchase of a new high end laptop would not be recommended if Oculus still has issues with support on mobile GPU's. Especially if they are never able to fix any issues, and mobile support gets disabled. The technology for the Direct Driver Mode is still evolving, I would not put hard earned cash into new equipment unless I knew it would be fully supported.​

23. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

Note that a GTX 970m is not the same as a GTX 970. M cards are mobile with reduced capabilities and performance. GeForce GTX 970m is equivalent to a GeForce GTX 680/Radeon HD 7970 in performance.

24. iejun

iejun

ok .. thx for the reply. So are there more VR that a re supported by Unity3D ? Like the HTC for example ...maybe i dont need these expensive high end specs for running HTC on Unity

25. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

Just released is new Nvidia Drivers with improved Gameworks VR SDK support for notebook GPU's. Might give it a try and see if it improved the Rift support for you on the mobile GPU you are using.

GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 355.98 September 22, 2015

GameWorks VR Support
    Updated driver support for GameWorks VR SDK, adding notebook support, VR SLI enhancements, and bug fixes.

26. artrebel9

artrebel9

Actually I'm using MSI Dominator Pro with 980m for development and it works fine with DK2.