Search Unity

Running Unity on Ubuntu 22.04

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ryanjo, May 19, 2022.

1. ryanjo

ryanjo

Unity Technologies

Hello Linux users!

Canonical has released it's LTS version of Ubuntu 22.04 in April and we're currently working to support Unity Editor on this edition of Ubuntu. There are some known issues and known workaround that I'd like to share here for anybody looking to get the Editor running on 22.04 in the meantime,.

Unity Hub Known Issues

You can install unity hub via apt by following the instructions here:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/hub/manual/InstallHub.html#install-hub-linux
    In short
    Code (csharp):
    2. wget -qO - https://hub.unity3d.com/linux/keys/public | sudo apt-key add -
    3. sudo apt update
    4. sudo apt-get install unityhub
    You will also need to install libssl1.1, see below.

The Unity Hub App Image, while no longer supported, can still be used with the following workarounds:
    • Unity Hub might be missing the libfuse2 library and will fail to start. To workaround this you can install libfuse2 with
    • Code (CSharp):
      1. sudo apt install libfuse2
    • UnityHub.AppImage crashes on launch when run with proprietary NVIDIA drivers
    • You can workaround this issue by disabling the gpu sandbox for unity hub.
    • Code (csharp):
      1. ./UnityHub.AppImage --disable-gpu-sandbox
    Unity Editor Known Issues
    • Unity Editor fails to launch and complains about "no usable version of libssl was found"
    • Ubuntu 22.04 now ships with libssl3 by default and does not include libssl1.1. Unity currently uses .NET5 which requires libssl1.1. To work around this issue you can install libssl1.1 from an older Ubuntu release
    • https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/libssl1.1/download
    • In a terminal
    • Code (csharp):
      2. echo "deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish-security main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/impish-security.list
      3. sudo apt-get update
      4. sudo apt-get install libssl1.1

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  2. karliss_coldwild

karliss_coldwild

> ./UnityHub.AppImage --disable-gpu-sandbox

I am slightly confused. Didn't the Unity drop support for Appimage version of Unity Hub? (I would be happy if it didnt) But from the other UnityHub linux posts I got the impression that from now on only supported way is installing UnityHub by adding Unity repositories to the system pacakage manager.

Skade88 likes this.
  3. Skade88

Skade88

Howdy!

I am on Ubuntu 22.04. I was able to get the Unity Hub launched with the disable gpu sandbox flag. It did not find my Unity License though. It was able to find my Unity License before I upgraded from Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04. When I try to add the license file the "Activate with a serial number" option is grayed out. I checked my account, my Unity License is still active and assigned to me.

I also tried installing UnityHub from the Unity repo. That version just crashes on launch.

Any pro tips to get my Unity install working again would be epic!

Best,
    David Brooks

4. Skade88

Skade88

Ah, I feel silly. Once I installed libssl1.1 it worked just fine.

5. ryanjo

ryanjo

Unity Technologies

You are correct, the workflow for using the AppImage is outdated and the preferred way to install is to use the apt after installing the unity hub repository to apt. I've edited the original post with instructions. Thanks!

6. JazzMuted

JazzMuted

I'm getting this error:
    [11181:0615/124525.183860:FATAL:electron_main_delegate.cc(252)] Running as root without --no-sandbox is not supported. See https://crbug.com/638180.
    Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

Any suggestions?

7. heitorzorah

heitorzorah

It works with wayland?

8. Pnvanol

Pnvanol

still getting a black screen for unity hub after all those steps
    edit: nevermind it seems like I needed to restart the pc as it is now working

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  9. MorgaineBrigid

MorgaineBrigid

upload_2022-7-18_22-16-35.png

This is what finallly worked for me.

10. Pnvanol

Pnvanol

where did you get the appimage? it is not longer provided

11. Pnvanol

Pnvanol

I keep getting this error:
    ERROR: Licensing SDK logging callback is not registered. Please use 'registerLoggingAdapter' func
    tion from the SDK to do so.

12. Irina-uk

Irina-uk

Hello! I didn't have the problems you describe. The desired version of the unit was easily installed and launched. Now 2 unsolvable errors.

1. The dotnet and mono6 SDK extensions are required for the Unity debugger to work.
    Please install it from Flathub. (Install flatpack 22/04 no find )

2 WebGl audio clip error.

PopOS 22.04LTS

13. qliloushq

qliloushq

I once used flatpack and they had problems integrating with unity. I have a manjaro. There were no problems when using the - aur source. Maybe you should use deb packages

14. dan_walsh

dan_walsh

It's not that they had "problems integrating" but rather it's an unofficial, community-maintained source. Which is unfortunate since if Unity offered an official flatpak version in the first place, they wouldn't have this dependency problem to begin with. Dropping the AppImage (and not offering a replacement with either flatpak or snap) was a poor decision on their end. Feels like they're going backwards.

FuzzyP, Skade88 and ChiwTheNeko like this.
  15. dan_ginovker

dan_ginovker

Thanks for all your work on Unity for Linux :)

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

I will try migrate my Windows dev env to Ubuntu dev env, but the Unity Editor in Ubuntu is very slow. The game project is the same and it uses Assembly definitions files.

Problem in Ubuntu: Any script modification (add a space) results in a Reload Script Assemblies (5 minutes or more).

apolinux likes this.
  17. RiotCreativeStudio

RiotCreativeStudio

im running kubuntu 22.04 the unity hub installs and works perfectly but it does not install any version of unity i tried 2019 and 2020 plus 2021 it just gives an error failed to install and when i was checking the compressed files it said file corrupt or damage might be missing some files

18. seloran

seloran

Does Unity have any plans to update Unity Hub to support libssl3 in the near future?

The following post mentioned using libssl1.1 on Ubuntu 22.04 seems to be a very bad idea:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/140...3747878c318b982550fbc8#comment2453912_1408000

I tried the workaround mentioned in the OP here, but ever since then, I kept getting the error "The repository 'http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish-security Release' does not have a Release file." whenever I run sudo apt update. I read that I could just comment out some lines in the impish related files in /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d, but I wasn't sure if there won't be any other system or security problems down the line.

Is the workaround using libssl1.1 even a secure workaround? It would be much appreciated if Unity Hub could support libssl3 on Ubuntu 22.04 so that workarounds are not needed.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    FuzzyP and coppersoft like this.
  19. pblpbl

pblpbl

After running these commands I'm getting

E: Unable to locate package libssl1.1
    E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'libssl1.1'
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libssl1.1'

Also, even after I install libssl1.1 from https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/libssl1.1/download, Unity Hub still freezes on the loading screen.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    Skade88 likes this.
  20. Skade88

Skade88

I am seeing the same error when I tested it out just now on Ubuntu 22.04. It looks like that repo is no longer accessible since I am also seeing the error below when running sudo apt update.

Err:9 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish-security Release
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.38 80]

21. lostinspacetime

lostinspacetime

I have the package libssl1.1 installed and I don't have a problem starting Unity Hub or the Editor. However, for the 2021 Edítor and newer, I get a crash every time I open e menu window, like for preferences. I tested on two very different computers (one intel Laptop and one AMD desktop) even on Plasma Desktop as well. I have no problems on the same laptop running Fedora 36. Here is the link to the bugreport: https://unity3d.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/2/IN-18682

22. Dydzio

Dydzio

The line from first post for libssl1.1 download
    echo "deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish-security main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/impish-security.list

doesn't work properly anymore, it is related to ubuntu 21.10 deprecation. The one that still works and should be used instead is:
    echo "deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/focal-security.list

arexxuru likes this.
  23. lzbk

lzbk

@ryanjo Are there any plans to move to libssl3?

24. ek2660

ek2660

Just add official Docker instructions for unity so we can have a dev environment that works on any OS.. please.. There's no way I am downgrading to deprecated libssl just to install unity. It's going to break a million things. Now I have to run unity in a VM but it should be easy to just run it inside a container.

25. DrMeatball

DrMeatball

There have been 5 releases of Ubuntu since the Unity recommended 20.04 - almost coming on 3 years out of date. That's a lot of security, updates and fixes being missed out on. You can't even download 20.04 directly from Ubuntu anymore (it's all bittorrent afaict) without doing a bit of a deep dive. Is Linux support dead?

26. ChiwTheNeko

ChiwTheNeko

Yes it is.

I think it's pretty clear by now that Unity will never fix the LibSSL issue. Whoever is in charge of Unity Linux port obviously don't understand how Linux works.

27. CharlExMachina

CharlExMachina

Any ETA for when it will be finally usable on Ubuntu 22.04? You guys cannot be serious having posted this back in May and still not supporting 22.04. Is "currently working to support Unity Editor on this edition of Ubuntu" the french for "we'll never fix the libSSL issue and you guys are screwed?"

ChiwTheNeko likes this.
  28. ChiwTheNeko

ChiwTheNeko

They won't fix it. They can't make a version that would use both the old and the new libSSL. The solution is Flatpak but they don't want to use it. In the meantime you must either install the former Ubuntu LTS or do package shenaniganery.

FuzzyP likes this.
  29. RageAgainstThePixel

RageAgainstThePixel

I'm getting a new error now on Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS and 3.4.1 release of Unity Hub

Code (CSharp):
    1.  (zenity:3553): dbind-WARNING **: 14:47:16.998: AT-SPI: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  30. Chodjo

Chodjo

31. nikolamilovic2001

nikolamilovic2001

I guess with all the S*** thats going on currently, I doubt 22.04 will be supported, much less wayland for the editor. I can launch the editor, it works fine, but its laggy and the add components window does not work :/

32. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

I've used it on Ubuntu 22.04 for about six months, and it's been working great. Now... my Ubuntu installation is based on upgrades on supported distros 18.04->20.04->22.04, I don't know if that has an impact but at least that is what I have....

33. kurtww

kurtww

Maybe the SSL version issues between Unity Hub and Ubuntu 22 have been fixed now? I'm able to install and run Unity Hub 3.6.1 on Ubuntu 22.04 using the standard "apt install" instructions from the "Install the Unity Hub on Linux" doc page on the Unity web site.

... but there's another problem happening in Ubuntu 22: the top toolbar buttons and Scene Editor UI buttons are invisible (but still can be clicked) There are many mentions of similar problems in Unity Editor, but all different platforms other than Ubuntu, different Unity versions, and different causes. I tried tweaking many Unity preferences, reload the app, reload the layouts, tried different Ubuntu desktops, tried different display managers, different OpenGL-related settings ... none of it made any difference with this issue in Ubuntu 22. So I reverted back to Ubuntu 20, same hardware, default desktop config, default Unity settings, and the Unity Editor UI is working totally fine.

34. tylerinthezoo

tylerinthezoo

Unity Technologies

i believe the issue is resolved.

regarding the invisible UI, it would be nice if you could submit a bug. that would be a great help to us. Cheers!