Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Running simulations with other software

Discussion in 'Unity Simulation' started by Hermonirr, Nov 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermonirr

Hermonirr

Hi,

Our simulation needs other services to run - mavros, rosbridge, arducopter, sim_vehicle to name a few, plus our proprietary software. The simulation is in constant communication with them.

Is it possible to run this kind of simulation on the Cloud Simulation service? Having the specific software needed installed and updated when necessary?

Thanks

2. mpinol

mpinol

Hey Hermonirr,
    We are working on supporting external processes with a simulation for a few of our Beta customers. We would love to gather your requirements and have you test this functionality!
    Can you reach out to us via email and we can take it from there simulation-help@unity3d.com

3. airnamics

airnamics

Native ROS implementation (roscpp) would be enormous benefit to robotics ROS community :).

danny-lange and JeffDUnity3D like this.
  4. Hermonirr

Hermonirr

5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

We are looking into ROS support longer term, no firm plans or ETA quite yet.

6. airnamics

airnamics

7. airnamics

airnamics

Understandable, it's quite a undertaking and I know Unity isn't intended for robotics originally.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  8. overthrowrobotics

overthrowrobotics

I'm just getting started with using LG Simulator. Previously I used Unity as a front end visualization for a boxing robot I built. The embedded hardware was all running on Raspberry Pi (Python) and I needed a way to communicate with Unity and used websockets to send sensor data (encoder positions, IMU, pressure sensor matrix) from the RPIs to Unity and to send motor and LED commands from Unity back to the RPIs. Tried MQTT and couldn't find a .NET library that worked well.
    For websocket I just made up a simple protocol like E,1,512; for Encoder, motor 1, position = 512.
    For anyone interested here's a short video fast forwarded to the Unity display part. There was no perceptible lag between when the motors would move and when it would animate the model in Unity.

9. airnamics

airnamics

Wow like the eyes dude, lovely :D

overthrowrobotics likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.