Search Unity

Running game on Hololens with Visual Studio: Bootstrap Errror

Discussion in 'VR' started by splavasplave, Jul 10, 2017.

1. splavasplave

splavasplave

Hi, I've been trying for hours to run my game onto the Hololens. I did a build with the game, opened up the sln file with Microsoft Visual Studio, changed the settings on the toolbar to "Release", "x86", and "Remote Machine" and attached the Hololens device to the computer with a usb chord. When I try to run the game onto the Hololens device, I get a deployment error saying "BootstrapForDebugging returned null instead of IPAddress & PortNumber of the remote msvsmon process."

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Thank you!

2. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

I haven't seen that error myself, but it sounds from your description like you didn't enter an IP address for the HoloLens. If it's connected via USB, you'll still need to enter 127.0.0.1.

3. splavasplave

splavasplave

Thanks for the response! Where exactly would I type in that IP address? I'm using Visual Studio 2017

4. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

My dev machine with VS2017 installed got wiped recently so I don't have that handy to walk through exact step-by-step instructions, but it should be similar in VS2015. If this doesn't help, please let me know, and I'll go over to someone else's desk that does have VS2017 and works on this stuff (he hasn't come into the office for the day quite yet) and post more relevant instructions.

In VS2015, just right-click on the project you're building (whatever you named your Unity project), and select "Properties". In the "Debug" panel, there's a section called "Start options". To deploy to your HoloLens, "Target device" should be set to "Remote Machine", "Remote machine" should be filled with the target IP address (127.0.0.1 is something we've noticed works when the device is connected via USB), and set "Authentication Mode" to "Universal (Unencrypted Protocol)".

5. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

I just glanced at VS 2017 to see if it was the same as what Andrew said, it is.

Should be able to change over to remote machine in the project properties in VS 2017. Right click the .csproj file, select Properties > Debug > under "start options" change target device to Remote Machine, and then punch in the IP address in the Remote Machine line. You can deploy over WIFI using the IP address from the network settings on the Hololens or the loopback address I believe works like Andrew suggested.

6. splavasplave

splavasplave

Hi. I right clicked the project file (the one that says the project name and "(Universal Windows")). Under Configuration Properties, I found "Debugging". I couldn't find "start options", but I was able to select "Remote Machine" under "Debugger to launch". I also saw a line that said "Machine name", where I typed in the IP address (the 127.0.0.1). I tried running this and still got the same error. Did I make a mistake in the instructions? Thanks!

7. Vesooo

Vesooo

I have the same issue. That are the steps, but still, throw off that error.

1. Open the generated Quickstart.sln with Visual Studio
    2. Change the configuration to Release and ARM64
    3. Switch the debugger mode to Remote Machine
    4. Build the solution
    5. For the project 'Quickstart', go to Properties > Debugging
      1. Make sure the configuration Release is active
      2. Set Debugger to Launch to Remote Machine
      3. Change Machine Name to the IP of your HoloLens
    I am stuck on the same error

8. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies