Search Unity

Running code when the player clicks anywhere BUT on a button

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Robs, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Robs

Robs

Hello all,

On my main menu I want the player to be able to start the game by pressing anywhere on the screen except for on buttons like "options" and "info". I was using EventSystemManager.currentSystem.IsPointerOverEventSystemObject () to try to ignore clicks on buttons, but I then ran into the problem that the clicks didn't go through text elements either. How would I do this?

Additionally, I am attaching an empty GameObject to the Canvas with a script that handles this logic while the main menu is active. Is there a way to do all of this without having to attach an empty GameObject to the UI?

2. Senshi

Senshi

Well, in essence what you're proposing kind of is just a giant, invisible button though. Is there any particular reason you don't like going this route?

3. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

This seems like it may be best accomplished with regular old scripting.

Have a boolean set to "gameOn = false" or something, and then wait for a touch. If the touch is on a button, ignore it (disable the button interactivity until the game starts), but if the touch isn't on a button, do some start game function.

4. pixpusher2

pixpusher2

Try attaching IgnoreRaycast.cs script to the Text elements to prevent it from catching the clicks. The script is from the UI Example Project.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEngine.UI;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class IgnoreRaycast : MonoBehaviour, ICanvasRaycastFilter
    6. {
    7.     public bool IsRaycastLocationValid(Vector2 sp, Camera eventCamera)
    8.     {
    9.         return false;
    10.     }
    11. }

Ghosthowl and infinitypbr like this.