Search Unity

RUN Unity Networking - [ Windows, Linux, OSX ] support

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Szeiner, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Szeiner

Szeiner

RUN Unity Networking

Run is a project aimed at creating a program for mediating on-line communication between clients on the basis of Unity3D under the conditions of maintaining compatibility with Mono runtime and the possibility to run Run as a server application on both Windows and Linux or MacOs.

Run server is based on Unity Unet. For communication with MySQL, Run uses the official Connector/Net driver for MySQL.

Run is distributed as a standalone executable server application and a .dll library with service scripts for client deployment under Unity3D.

Security standards

Run uses AES encryption for communication between the client and the server. AES key is not distributed over the network and is not hardcoded. It is generated on running. And more! Each client uses Its own separate AES key for even higher security!

For savings of data Run uses MySQL. To verify passwords in MySQL, Run can validate MD5HASH and Bcrypt(Of course even unencrypted).

Server Settings are stored on internal storage drive. All server settings are stored in the binaries files and for higher security data are encrypted in AES encryption.

RUN Community
    Download & License
    Currently we support Windows, Linux, OSX with Android experimental version soon.

At this point, you can test the FREE version of the server with a limit for 100 connected users. The current version of Run is 18.04.08. Below are links to downloading the server application for the respective OS and client in the form of unitypackage.

BETA Testing

Would you like to become a tester and get a FREE license for 200 users for the commercial needs of your product, so when you buy a registered license you get the option for 2000? Just join our program for tester. Are you guessing that you're going to stand up for anything? No, it's a common test that you make using our run and telling us some shortcomings to fix, or sending us suggestions for new features that you'd like to use, and we're implementing them into RUN. Just contact us at e-mail tester@szeiner.com

We will be grateful for any feedback on the RUN development to improve it. We update this thread for news, infations, updates, etc.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. TwoTen

TwoTen

Project seems intresting to say the least, any more details on the Security aspect? What key exchanges and such is happening? Is the key exchange signed in any way?

And also, why is MD5 hashing and then Bcrypt chosen over something like SHA -> PBKDF2? And is it salted?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  3. TwoTen

TwoTen

I understand that the AES key is not sent over the network. That would be insanity. But what key exchange is used?

4. TwoTen

TwoTen

Well some key exchange would be needed for this to work. Are you doing a Diffie Hellman key exchange?

5. nxrighthere

nxrighthere

So, you are calling this an encryption? :D

nice1.PNG

Even a child will break this thing in less than 30 minutes with any disassembler.

Oh, and an interesting licensing mechanism by the way.

nice2.PNG

Ellernate likes this.
  6. TwoTen

TwoTen

Oh god....

7. TwoTen

TwoTen

From whats posted above. Doesnt seem like a ECDH key exchange to me. But i’ll have a look for you when i get to my windows box. Diffie hellman is difficult in Unity. It really is. The .NET classes are not implemented for diffie hellman in the mono version used by Unity. For thr MLAPI, my own open source project. We had to write our own EC-DH implementation.

8. nxrighthere

nxrighthere

Yea? Read what you said:
    Do you even know what is the Diffie-Hellman key exchange, how it works and how it can be implemented? Have you seen your source code?

9. TwoTen

TwoTen

I've had a look. And I'm not impressed. What you have done is not secure, you are probably wasting resources with the encryption, no real security due to the "key exchange". And I am not impressed by this:

The only thing changed is the RijndaelManaged to AesCSP since RijndaelManaged isn't supported in the Mono version if I remember correctly. Even the method names are the same. If you want to solve this, I suggest doing a Eliptic Curve Diffie Hellman key exchange. The MLAPI, a open source project I maintain has a implementation licenced under MIT licence. Worth having a look. Otherwise there are public domain non eliptic curve implementations if I remember correctly. But I suggest not claiming that you are doing a proper key exchange if you are not, remember. you are trying to "sell" your product to developers, not consumers.

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah I've popped up to ensure people get along since mods received reports this thread has people arguing negatively. Remember: attack the facts, not the people.

Szeiner and TwoTen like this.
  11. TwoTen

TwoTen

Yes on that note. I want to clarify my previous statements. I am not in any way attacking you or your project. The project seems very intresting as I previously stated. I was simply pointing out that your security didn't hold up to the claims. If you have any questions regarding key exchanges, here are some useful resources:

https://github.com/TwoTenPvP/MLAPI/...LAPI/NetworkingManagerComponents/Cryptography (MLAPI implementation of ECDH)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffie–Hellman_key_exchange (The images with color mixing does a great job at explaining how it works without the math)

http://www.mentalis.org/soft/class.qpx?id=15 (Non EC diffie hellman implementation used in Mono I think. I believe this is public domain. Can't remember)

I am quite a Crypotography geek, but no expert. If you have questions you can also PM me. I'm very active on the Unity forums.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018