Search Unity

Run linux VM in a unity app and render the output on a game object

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by rapidrunner, Apr 18, 2019.

1. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

I am exploring the possibility to have a limited linux substystem running in a VM, and have it functional into Unity3d; basically something like a computer mesh in game, that is running a VM with linux on it.

Google didn't help much, since the only results I get are related to Unity3d editor running on linux; and I don't see official documentation that either deny the fact that you can run linux inside a unity app, or tell you how.

Did anyone try anything like that? I could write my own in-game version of Linux, as game object that is not really an os but just a state machine that run commands; but I wanted to get the real deal, if that is possible of course. If I can't run a VM in Unity; what other solution could I employ, to have an enclosed environment (so nobody can delete anything on the computer if they run a rm command for example), that could run in Unity; without write my own implementation?

I want to leave that solution as last resort; no need to re-invent the wheel to be honest

OldSkuLL84 likes this.