Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games Ruby's Legacy: Shooter/Dungeon Crawler (Requesting feedback on prototype)

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Marscaleb, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Marscaleb

Marscaleb

2. ArturSousaMusic

ArturSousaMusic

Hi!

Before going into feedback on Ruby's Quest, just a head's up that the Windows 64-bit link you provide is for Sandwich Isles instead. The itch.io link is correct though. If you'd like some feedback on Sandwich Isles, I can also give it to you, since I played it for a bit as well.

So, regarding Ruby's Quest gameplay:

Shooting feels a bit awkward due to two main reasons: there should be more degrees of shooting motion since it's not easy to aim with precision and it could be more responsive when stopping shooting. Maybe make it possible to cancel the animation and move right away? The enemy's getting hit is working pretty well, though.

I had some trouble with collecting coins. Maybe increase their hitbox? Also, the green coins get mixed with the grass and are hard to see.

Regarding the gameplay loop, even though I'm aware it's a pretty early work-in-progress, I felt it was a bit too bland and repetitive, since the enemies all move in similar ways and then attack (except the wasps). I think introducing different attacks, move speeds, types of motion for the enemies would make it more fun. Maybe add some traps/obstacles that the player has to avoid, so that it's a bit harder to run away from the enemies or force the player to fight them.

I managed to reach the end of both levels with plenty of health and it's easy to just avoid the enemies.

I didn't find any apparent bugs and, even though I use an ultra-wide 1440p monitor, I didn't experience bugs in the enemy movement as you described in another thread.

Hope my feedback helps and I'm looking forward to seeing the progress of your game!

3. kdgalla

kdgalla

Pretty cool!

For some reason when I get attacked by the giant spiders I turn into some white, boxy looking thing. Then a few seconds later I'm completely invisible (Only the drop shadow is showing). :D

My biggest complaint is that the mouse cursor is really difficult to see, at least for me. That made it really difficult to aim. Additionally I had the same problem with aiming as ArturSousaMusic where I had trouble aiming because it seemed like aim would jump from being just above to just below hitting the enemy. I also thought the maybe the collider on my projectile should be a slightly bigger and it should be easier to hit enemies that are up-close touching the player character.

I also thought the coins where a bit difficult to see.

4. Marscaleb

Marscaleb

AW FUDGE!
    Okay I fixed it; thanks for the heads up.

Well I mean, yes? But that game's on hold and I'm focused on Ruby's Quest. (The short version is that I switched to a game I could finish sooner; I'll pick up Sandwich Isles again later.) DM me with feedback if you want.

I've only seen that bug show up when the player ran out of health. I wasn't too concerned with it, since, well, death isn't working for player at all right now.
    Do you recall if the healthbar was empty when you saw that bug?

5. kdgalla

kdgalla

Yes. It was empty.

6. Marscaleb

Marscaleb

I have finished some notable revisions to my combat systems; I hope this will add some more depth to the gameplay.
    Please let me know what you think of this new version.

You can download it from the same page as before:
    https://marscaleb.itch.io/rubys-quest-prototype

7. Marscaleb

Marscaleb

Another update.
    I've added a title screen and revised the loading so it doesn't take so long to start the game.

Still available through the same page.