Search Unity

Official Ruby’s Adventure: 2d Beginner Official Thread

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Woolley_Kat, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Are you absolutely sure about that? I'm asking because, when you create a 2D project with the 2D template, the necessary 2D packages are not installed by default. Maybe the camera is not set on orthographic by default either... It is in 2019.2.11f1, but you never know.

What version of Unity are you using?

2. SandVampire

SandVampire

Hi, in the UI tutorial, I've followed the instructions. However, when I created the health bar mask (part 10) and tried to resize the mask object, the health bar got resized instead of getting cropped (see the attached video). Has anyone else encountered this problem?

3. Valjuin

Valjuin

upload_2019-11-19_16-47-34.png

4. SandVampire

SandVampire

5. AnAlienDream

AnAlienDream

I have problem with the particle system; I've managed to set the hit effect (an effect that plays when Ruby takes damage) to trigger correctly with this:
    Instantiate(hitEffect, transform.position, Quaternion.identity);
    I've also disabled Looping, but if I have Stop action set to "Destroy" and I try to take damage, it gives me an error saying: "The object of type ParticleSystem has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it".

If I set the Stop action to "None" the effect works, but then it keeps creating clones that don't disappear, which I (probably) don't want. Any help?

6. Valjuin

Valjuin

When dragging and dropping your HitEffect Particle System into the relevant slot in the Inspector, make sure you drag it from the Prefabs folder in the Project window and not from the Hierarchy.

7. AnAlienDream

AnAlienDream

Thank you, that worked!

8. aazizorg

aazizorg

Okay I have spent a good amount of time on this, the only part of the tutorial that I can't figure out myself so far. I put my smoke effect prefab on the Robot prefab and moved it to behind the robot's head. In the prefab scene window it shows this correctly, but in game it still only shows up at the 0,0 point relative to the robot (or at least it appears in the lower half, not sure on the exact coords).

Any ideas?

Edit: I was able to fix it, I think it was either setting the pivot point from Center to Bottom, or fixing the Z axis.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  9. AnAlienDream

AnAlienDream

I've finished the tutorial but I'm still having problems with Ruby colliding with other objects, especially now since I'm trying to redecorate my world. For example with the house; I want Ruby to be able to walk behind the house but collide with the lower part of the house, but since Ruby's collider is on her feet (like it was shown in the tutorial), her upper body still goes through the house. Similar problems also appear on other objects. What should I do with this?
    Collide.png Collide2.png Collide3.png

Update: I've managed to get the effect somehow by creating a sorting layer and adding Ruby and the House in the same sorting layer. Now Ruby is in front of the house at the lower part of the house and behind it at the upper part of the house, but she appears on top of it in the middle. I tried to mess around with the order of layers and the "Transparency in sort mode" setting, but I don't know how to fix this...
    collidec.png

Update's update: The problem was that I hadn't set the house's sprite sort point to pivot, now it works well :D

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  10. Vankurua

Vankurua

Hi,I meet a problem in "Sprite animation".Ruby's animation works all good.But the robot didn't work as expected.The robot moves without animation.
    The console shows that"Parameter 'Move X' does not exist."
    But I did set the Parameters to Move X and Move Y 6LKS[JH_N]GGL$2Y{C~R@VN.png 3CLZRGUB4Z`}RWSC_M@{}OD.png
    I check many times and I still couldn't solve it.:(

Attached Files:

11. AnAlienDream

AnAlienDream

Have you also checked that in the EnemyController-script you've spelled "Move X" and "Move Y" correctly? (in case you've spelled "move x" and "move y" for example, that was my problem at some point)

12. DieGeileSchnitte

DieGeileSchnitte

Hi there, I'm currently having problems with the health collectible, the collectible doesn't react, when Ruby is on it.
    Can someone please help me?
    Here's a quick video of the problem:

13. Valjuin

Valjuin

Ruby can’t collect health collectibles at this stage in your project because she has not suffered any damage and is, therefore, at maximum health.

In the next tutorial in the project, you will add Damage Zones and Enemies. These GameObjects will hurt Ruby and cause her health to decrease, at which point you will be able to collect the health collectibles until she returns to maximum health.

DieGeileSchnitte likes this.
  14. DieGeileSchnitte

DieGeileSchnitte

Ohhh:rolleyes::oops:, thank you so much!

15. rekcilF

rekcilF

I need some help with an error I can't seem to fix:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UIHealthBar.SetValue (System.Single value) (at Assets/Scripts/UIHealthBar.cs:25)
    RubyController.ChangeHealth (System.Int32 amount) (at Assets/Scripts/RubyController.cs:82)
    DamageZone.OnTriggerStay2D (UnityEngine.Collider2D other) (at Assets/Scripts/DamageZone.cs:17)

with this for the rubycontroller
    using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using UnityEngine;
    public class RubyController : MonoBehaviour
    {
    public float speed = 3.0f;
    public int maxHealth = 5;
    public float timeInvincible = 2.0f;
    public GameObject projectilePrefab;
    public int health { get { return currentHealth; } }
    public int currentHealth;
    bool isInvincible;
    float invincibleTimer;
    Rigidbody2D rigidbody2d;
    Animator animator;
    Vector2 lookDirection = new Vector2(1, 0);
    // Start is called before the first frame update
    void Start()
    {
    rigidbody2d = GetComponent<Rigidbody2D>();
    animator = GetComponent<Animator>();
    currentHealth = maxHealth;
    }
    // Update is called once per frame
    void Update()
    {
    float horizontal = Input.GetAxis("Horizontal");
    float vertical = Input.GetAxis("Vertical");
    Vector2 move = new Vector2(horizontal, vertical);
    if (!Mathf.Approximately(move.x, 0.0f) || !Mathf.Approximately(move.y, 0.0f))
    {
    lookDirection.Set(move.x, move.y);
    lookDirection.Normalize();
    }
    animator.SetFloat("Look X", lookDirection.x);
    animator.SetFloat("Look Y", lookDirection.y);
    animator.SetFloat("Speed", move.magnitude);
    Vector2 position = rigidbody2d.position;
    position = position + move * speed * Time.deltaTime;
    rigidbody2d.MovePosition(position);
    if (isInvincible)
    {
    invincibleTimer -= Time.deltaTime;
    if (invincibleTimer < 0)
    isInvincible = false;
    }
    if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.C))
    {
    Launch();
    }
    }
    public void ChangeHealth(int amount)
    {
    if (amount < 0)
    {
    if (isInvincible)
    return;
    isInvincible = true;
    invincibleTimer = timeInvincible;
    }
    currentHealth = Mathf.Clamp(currentHealth + amount, 0, maxHealth);
    UIHealthBar.instance.SetValue(currentHealth / (float)maxHealth);
    }
    void Launch()
    {
    GameObject projectileObject = Instantiate(projectilePrefab, rigidbody2d.position + Vector2.up * 0.5f, Quaternion.identity);
    Projectile projectile = projectileObject.GetComponent<Projectile>();
    projectile.Launch(lookDirection, 300);
    animator.SetTrigger("Launch");
    }
    }
    and this for the damage zone handler

using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using UnityEngine;
    public class DamageZone : MonoBehaviour
    {

// OnTriggerEnter2D means once ruby enters once and stays it only damages once but OnTriggerStay2D means ruby gets damaged continuosly
    void OnTriggerStay2D(Collider2D other)
    {
    RubyController controller = other.GetComponent<RubyController>();
    if (controller != null)
    {
    controller.ChangeHealth(-1);
    }

}
    }

no1siddharthsharma likes this.
  16. Roulik

Roulik

I fix it moving some code from Update to FixedUpdate function and moving some declarations from Update to the top of tje class
    I Upload my script, changes are all comented maybe it help others with same issue.
    Sorry my english, is awful XD.

Attached Files:

fontan10 likes this.
  17. Longbottom76

Longbottom76

Does anyone know why my smokeEffect child of my Robot prefab spawns in the correct location while I have my game stopped (near the robot's head), but once I start the game, the smoke spawns right at the foot of the robot?

I've followed instructions and dragged my smokeEffect prefab onto the Robot prefab (not in the hierarchy, but while I have Robot prefab open) to make it a child.

I've reviewed my Robot prefab to make sure it is set to position 0,0,0. Moving my smokeEffect up a little bit so it is closer to the robot's head, that position is 0, 0.2, 0 while viewing it in the robot prefab. Also checked the base smokeEffect prefab and that is set to position 0,0,0.

Like I said, it renders correctly while I have the game stopped and in scene view. Also, looks good when I view the robot prefab with child.

I have tested the X value (horizontal position) to see if the whole position is being reset to 0,0,0 somehow, but when I offset the X value of the smokeEffect child something other than 0 that works as it should, the smoke spawns at the X value that I set. The vertical position of the smoke always spawns at the robot's feet, even while the X offset is other than 0.

Thanks for any advice.

18. dlookenb

dlookenb

Hi All,

Newbie here. Going through the particles tutorial, after adding the smoke to the robot prefab and running the game, the smoke does not appear on the robot. I placed another prefab of the smoke particles just on one of the orange game tiles, and I can see the smoke but only very tiny puffs of smoke.

Anyone else having this issue where the smoke is not (or is very barely) visible? Something wrong with my visual settings or layers?

My smoke transform is set at Z=0 as some other users have suggested may fix it, but I'm still having this issue.

Thanks for any help!

nomadmao and frogspag like this.
  19. notorirandom

notorirandom

in lesson 13: Visual Styling - User Interface - Head-Up Display, I can run normally. But unity gives me error: upload_2020-2-5_20-10-19.png
    I actually add
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void Awake()
    in the code, but the error still there. It has no affect to my game, but I want to fix this problem.
    upload_2020-2-5_20-12-24.png
    Appreciate to your help

20. Valjuin

Valjuin

Did you drag the Mask from the Hierarchy into the field labelled “Mask” in the UI Health Bar (Script) component attached to the Health Bar GameObject in the Inspector?

21. notorirandom

notorirandom

Thank you for your help.

Yes, I have dragged the mask to the Script. As I said before, the game runs without any problem, if i didn't drag it, the game can't show the health bar UI.

The problem is that, everything is set as the tutorial and the game can run, there is still has the error: "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object", I can't fix that.

If you need any other code or screenshot to check the problem, please let me know.

22. Valjuin

Valjuin

The game will show the Health Bar UI even without dragging the Mask into the Script component. However, the Health Bar will not update when Ruby receives damage.

Does your Health Bar respond to Ruby receiving damage?

When you clear the Console, does the error reappear when you enter Play Mode?

23. notorirandom

notorirandom

I have checked it again, it seems that I put the mask to the wrong place. Thank you for your reminding, I have fix the problem.

Thank you very much

24. brazinbraku

brazinbraku

I experienced a similar issue. I first tested the build with ultra settings on a monitor with 120hz refresh and the bot animations were laggy/ruby was running slowly and chopping every so often. I have a 60hz monitor as a secondary - tried it there with same settings and it ran smoothly again.

The solution is to use the FixedUpdate() method in place of the Update() method on the physics objects (Ruby, Bot, projectile). Retested on both monitors and worked seamlessly.

reference doc: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/MonoBehaviour.FixedUpdate.html

25. gtrcrazynik

gtrcrazynik

noticed it too

26. Axel1971

Axel1971

Hi,

I followed the tutorial until Sprite Animation. There is mentioned in the beginning to use the robot prefab. Which one shall that be? Before this section we defined ruby and the enemy but no "robot". In the asset area isn't anything called robot (only in the audio section) ....

Is the robot sprite graphics missing?

kind regards

27. Axel1971

Axel1971

or is it a mismatch in the tutorial, because the tutorial would like to tell us to use the "enemy" ?

28. HP_player

HP_player

I have the same problem now but since I am still struggling with the robot animation, in my case it’s the robot that moves in the right direction but with no animation.I also copied the code from the tutorial and I think I precisely followed the steps in the tutorial. Have you solved this problem? If so, maybe you can give some advice for help?

29. JP0490

JP0490

Hello to see if someone can help me with some mistakes that I have, when I launch the projectile I get a warning that says "Parameter 'Launch' does not exist.
    UnityEngine.Animator: SetTrigger (String)
    RubyController: Launch () (at Assets / Scripts / RubyController.cs: 98)
    RubyController: Update () (at Assets / Scripts / RubyController.cs: 67) "

Also another error makes the robot when "dies" stays in the same place making the animation and does not disappear,
    and I can move it to him while he walks and he also to me.

Finally the life bar does not go down when they hurt me, only Ruby's face disappears but the blue bar is still intact, what am I doing wrong? thanks for your help !

30. JP0490

JP0490

31. K_Daeke

K_Daeke

I encountered a problem in the sprite animation section!

After implementing Ruby's animation code in part 9 section 11, Ruby isn't moving properly. She can't move up or down and runs to the right whenever a horizontal control key is pressed. How do I fix it?

32. K_Daeke

K_Daeke

I added the following lines of code to my ChangeHealth function and set my stop action to Callback, not destroy. transform.position makes sure the effect spawns on top of your player and setting the stop action to callback will allow the effect to be replayed. Setting it to destroy will, well, destroy the particle system!

if (amount < 0)
    {
    // Instantiate(burstEffect, transform.position, Quaternion.identity);
    // burstEffect.Play();

animator.SetTrigger("Hit");

if (isInvincible)
    return;

isInvincible = true;
    invincibleTimer = timeInvincible;

Instantiate(burstEffect, transform.position, Quaternion.identity);
    burstEffect.Play();

33. guil182

guil182

Hi,

I just installed unity 2019.3.5f1 and downloaded ruby's adventure project.

But I can't open it !
    I have a message "you need to install editor version 2019.2 to open it"

How to solve it please ?

Regards

HagureShinma likes this.
  34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Download version 2019.2 from here: https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

35. JoniD89

JoniD89

36. bosstradamus

bosstradamus

I'm having a similar issue.

The box collider seems to be to the right of each box.

37. EinhanderX2

EinhanderX2

This solved it for me, my Z was -200. Not sure how that happened.

38. dokujaryu

dokujaryu

I'm new to Unity, but I was wondering, why do we have to use 2019.2 instead of 2019.3? Also, I have 2018.4 installed, and all the documentation seems to indicate that this will work, but it seems the project cannot open with anything but 2019.2. Is there some way to migrate a project to 2019.3? Or is it just too specific to try this?

39. bosstradamus

bosstradamus

I'm having issues with Ruby not taking damage when going into damage zones or colliding with enemy robots.

I'm not sure if I have the UIhealthbar script in the right place in the inspector

I particularly don't quite understand what the tutorial means with

"You can now add the UIHealthBar script to your Health bar GameObject, drag your mask into the Mask properties in the Inspector and enter Play mode. If you make Ruby get damaged by the enemy or damage zone, her Health bar will update accordingly."

I dragged the UIHealthBar script into the inspector within the "Health" game object in the hierarchy
    upload_2020-4-10_8-52-54.png

What am I doing wrong?

40. Valjuin

Valjuin

upload_2020-4-11_14-32-55.png

bosstradamus likes this.
  41. Fflt

Fflt

Hi,
    I just started the tutorial and found out my Ruby Project wasn't set with the 2D template automatically.
    I got alerted with the camera which was obviously set for 3D and the Ruby image which was not automatically set as Sprite.
    My fix :
    1/ use the documentation to set the Project back to 2D ( Edit > Project Settings > Default Behavior Mode -> 2D)
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/2DAnd3DModeSettings.html
    2/ close the project and launch it again
    Result : I got back my 2D camera and its white rectangle !
    Thanks to all and have fun.

Unity Version : 2019.2.21f1
    Date : 15/04/2020

42. pmkienle

pmkienle

Did you ever solve this? I got stuck on it for a few days. If you try to drop the Canvas child onto the NonPlayerCharacter script from the assets area it won't work. Instead, click your Jambi GameObject in the scene. It should have the script Non Player Character attached - and here you can drop the canvas.

LDenn likes this.
  43. jlyublin

jlyublin

I'm at the part where you mess with the particle system and when i go to change the Start Frame under Texture Sheet Animation, it won't let me click on it. The same thing happens when I have to change the start lifetime and radius and angle. I don't know what to do

44. joshuavdc

joshuavdc

Thank you so much!

45. hypomnesis

hypomnesis

New to Unity and getting a lot out of this tutorial - so thanks!
    I'm hitting a snag when it comes to the Robot's smoke particle. It appears and stops like I want it to - so its basic functionality is fine.

My problem is that the smoke appears behind Ruby and the strawberry health items, even though my Robot (and the base of the particle system) is below them on the y axis. Also, when playing the game, either the smoke is appearing above where it appears in the robot's prefab view and the scene editor view, or something is making it not visible there.

I verified that the Z axis is set to 0 for both the Robot's smokeEffect and the smokeEffect prefab. I don't see others posting about this, so I'm thinking I've missed something obvius. Unity 2019.3.8f

46. Alvarocorcin

Alvarocorcin

Hi there, thanks for the tutorial! Im learning A LOT.
    EDIT: I hope no one asked this before... I didnt found it.
    I have a little problem with creating a particle system that burst some when Ruby gets hit. I dont really know how to make the instantiate.

I made a public GameObject getHit; on rubycontroller.
    and later:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void ChangeHealth(int amount)
    2.     {
    3.         if (amount < 0)
    4.         {
    5.             // aqui le decimos al particle system que se ponga en marcha
    6.             GameObject gameObject = Instantiate(getHit, rigidbody2d.position, Quaternion.identity);
    8.             // aqui le decimos al animator que el trigger Hit es activado
    9.             animator.SetTrigger("Hit");
    11.             if (isInvincible)
    12.                 return;
    14.             isInvincible = true;
    15.             invincibleTimer = timeInvincible;
    16.         }
    18.         currentHealth = Mathf.Clamp(currentHealth + amount, 0, maxHealth);
    19.         Debug.Log(currentHealth + "/" + maxHealth);
    20.     }
    I get the sparks when ruby gets hit. It only lives 0.5 secs. But my problem is i have a huge amount of sparks and its continuous when Im in a damage zone for example.

My ParticleSystem its without loop and with destroy when stop. But I can see in the Hierarchy that a lot of particleSystem are created while I touch something that damages Ruby.

Thanks a lot in advance! :)

EDIT: I think its solved! I simply swap the order of things. I set the if(isInvincible) return; before everything else and I think its solved :D

Code (CSharp):
    2. public void ChangeHealth(int amount)
    3.     {
    4.         if (amount < 0)
    5.         {
    6.             if (isInvincible)
    7.                 return;
    9.             GameObject gameObject = Instantiate(getHit, rigidbody2d.position, Quaternion.identity);
    11.             animator.SetTrigger("Hit");
    13.             audioSource.PlayOneShot(getHitClip);
    15.             isInvincible = true;
    16.             invincibleTimer = timeInvincible;
    17.         }
    19.         currentHealth = Mathf.Clamp(currentHealth + amount, 0, maxHealth);
    20.         // Debug.Log(currentHealth + "/" + maxHealth);
    21.         UIHealthBar.instance.SetValue(currentHealth / (float)maxHealth);
    22.     }

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Slater7 likes this.
  47. daniblue92

daniblue92

Same problem here, any solutions ???

48. ShiftyAce

ShiftyAce

Was hoping someone could help me clean up my hit effect..

So I've created the prefab and written the code in "ChangeHealth" section to instantiate the effect when Ruby takes damage. However for example, when I start the scene, the effect triggers once, and properly (also how do I stop it from triggering during scene start?)
    I have the shape set to donut, so when she takes damage, it should play the stun hit effect in a circle around her, now during the scene start, and in inspector view, it works properly.
    but when she actually takes damage, it spreads in a horizonal line and not the donut as it should.

I'm starting to assume that it has to do with quaternion.identity = no rotation and its canceling the donut effect, but I'm stumped at the moment.

I'm using "ParticleSystem HitEffect = Instantiate(hitEffect, transform.position, Quaternion.identity);

49. mediocrecreampuff

mediocrecreampuff

I am having some trouble during the animation segment. I pretty sure have the code for both Ruby and the Robot correct but when i press the play button the game is paused and i can't unpause it. Does anybody know what the problem might be?

50. respectyoda

respectyoda

I am not a beginner to Unity, but wanted to do this tutorial for fun! I completely did the tutorial. The only issue I am dealing is the animation of the robots. If the robot is moving vertically, it is playing the correct animations when it is going up or down. However, if the robot is moving horizontally, it correctly plays the animation when it is moving right, but when it is moving left, it is still playing the "RobotRight" animation. I checked all the values in the blend tree as well as my code for the robot and everything seems to be fine. What could the issue be? Thank you for your help in advance.

Edit: Never mind! I figured it out!

Last edited: May 26, 2020