Search Unity

Question Ruby's 2D Adventure doesn't work! Also the FPS Microgame doesn't work either!

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by RichAllen2023, Nov 19, 2021.

1. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Above.

I've managed to do, build and play the FPS Creator, Puzzle game and Platform game tutorials successfully, however, I've downloaded the Ruby's 2D Adventure and FPS Microgame tutorials and built them for Ubuntu and they don't work.

It's the latest Ubuntu distro on an Ubuntu Desktop PC.

What happens is that the games just go to a blank Unity screen and don't show the games at all, so I have to press Alt+F4 to quit back to Unity.

Anyone got any fixes?

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Do they work when you run them in the Editor?

3. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

No.

Do something.

Your tutorials don't work.

I know there's the UK/US time difference but make with the helpful comments! Are you going to sort out your ass tutorials that don't work?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  4. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Here's what shows up when I load the Ruby's 2D Adventure project.

Screenshot from 2021-11-20 17-29-16.png

5. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Screenshot from 2021-11-20 21-13-07.png This is what appears when I load the FPS Microgame.
    Screenshot from 2021-11-20 18-15-03.png

The above pic is what happens when I run the FPS Microgame, it plays a sound and then won't go any further.

HELP!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  6. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Screenshot from 2021-11-22 15-38-28.png This is a pic of what happens when the FPS Microgame crashes on the latest stable version of Unity under Ubuntu.

7. Schneider21

Schneider21

Come on, man. You've been around here long enough to know better.

Firstly, you're using a barely supported platform, on what I imagine is a machine that barely meets the bare minimum specs required to even run the Editor. All because your brother insists that Windows is an inherently unsafe platform, despite the fact that somewhere around 1.3 billion devices are running Windows 10 right now.

You're insisting that the tutorial doesn't work, and yet, do you see tons of other posts by people claiming the same? If not, there's a good chance the issue is localized to your machine, or at the very least uncommon enough that the vast majority of users aren't having issues.

You're speaking to Jeff as if he's the one responsible for updating the tutorial projects. Even if he were, what makes you think that speaking disrespectfully is going to get you what you want? It's like those customers you see in restaurants yelling at the hostess because the company is no longer providing senior citizen discounts. And in this case, you paid exactly £0 for the software or project you're complaining about, so it's actually even less justified.

I'm gonna throw some advice down here that I normally reserve for the likes of Reddit, but it feels necessary.

1. You are entitled to exactly nothing
    You're not a paying customer here. Even if you were, there's probably no expectation of support for tutorial projects. Even if there were, there's likely a minimum specification expected for hardware which yours doesn't meet. Even if it did, demanding assistance the way you are is never going to get you anything. Consider recognizing all this when choosing what tone to use when writing your posts looking for help.

2. Game development is hard. Really hard.
    I'm not one of those geniuses where everything comes to me naturally. I'd wager most people aren't. Video games are some of the more complex software you can write, and the process to do so isn't simple. It's often filled with frustration, nebulous problems that are hard to pin down, and endless wasted hours chasing dead ends and red herrings. If you can't handle frustrations with getting a tutorial project running, you may want to reconsider this hobby altogether.

3. You're not even giving any useful data for people that actually want to help you
    Spend some time browsing the forums. Look at the posts that get proper help, and quickly. Chances are they're either such small generic questions that it's easy for people to push them in the right direction, or they're specific enough and provide things like full error codes from the console. We can see there's at least one error in your project, but you've declined to share what that error message actually is. If you want specific help, you need to ask specific questions.

If you want to do this thing, you have to be able to solve some problems yourself. You have to learn how to troubleshoot things, find the source of problems, and figure out how to resolve them. Obviously there are people here who can help, but from what I've seen, you post nearly every single issue you run into, and most of them are structured the same as this one: not a lot of detail and no easy way to help you.

It feels like a mean thing to say, but I honestly think you need to reconsider what it is, exactly, that you want out of this whole experience. Do you want to be a game developer? Because if so, you need to be focusing more on how to solve issues rather than going straight to asking for help constantly. Maybe you don't really want to work with code at all, and instead just want to design games. That can also be done designing pen-and-paper or board games. If the technical hurdles are too much for you to overcome even at this early level, I'm just not sure there's much of anything you will be able to achieve without an endless amount of frustration on your part.

SUPERIONtheKnight likes this.
  8. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Nope.

They just go to the blank screen.

9. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Notice the video clip import error, and the Linux suggestion. I haven't tried it, but this might help https://cloudconvert.com/mov-to-webm

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021