Search Unity

Bug RTX reflections ignoring vertex shader? Bug?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by SebastianJanisz, Mar 8, 2023.

1. SebastianJanisz

SebastianJanisz

Hello,

I want to use RTX reflections in my project, and I have them set up. But my project also perturbs a surface with a vertex shader. The shader is clearly running since the change in normals is visible in the reflection, but the surface remains flat. I'm guessing the geometry isn't getting re-optimized every frame for RTX since this would be an expensive operation (but in this case, I want it to happen).

I thought changing Ray Tracing Mode to Dynamic Geometry would do it, but that doesn't seem to do anything. Is it a bug? My understanding is that "Ray Trace Procedurally" is for making custom raymarched objects based on SDF type functions (which would be really cool, if I could get shadows to work with it, but that's a separate problem).

How can I get the geometry in RTX reflections to update every frame? Thanks!

2. OlavAketun

OlavAketun

IIRC vertex displacement isn't supported in the RTAS but you can do it manually by updating the vertex mesh buffer using a compute shader.
    Something akin to this https://github.com/keijiro/NoiseBall6

akent99 and DevDunk like this.