Search Unity

RTX 2070 bake performance.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Keppiih, Aug 26, 2019.

1. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I don't understand that logic, when I game I have a headset on, don't really care about sound level. When I work I very much care about sound level. I have custom water cooling on my workstation just because of this.

2. iamthwee

iamthwee

Yeah I do my studying with my macbook because its silent.

However, to offset this argument, I actually listen to white noise or sounds of rainstorms and thunder when working.

It has a relaxing therapeutic effect.

3. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

A notebook is not silent, not even under idle.

4. iamthwee

iamthwee

The macbook pro is silent 0 db. Unless I got something like blender open or ios simulator :D

5. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I realize some people don't hear their water pump running. Unfortunately, I am one of those people can can hear the water pump going when everything else is quiet. As such, I do not tend to use water coolers in workstations. I do love water cooling in a gaming rig, though.

I do some gaming with a headset and some without. For example, I'll play PUBG with a headset.

For a workstation, I nearly never wear headphones and I can usually hear the water pump running if I use a water cooling solution. So in my workstations, I tend to prefer a high end air only solution. I'll use custom fan profiles, though, so there is only noticeable fan noise during high loads.

I also use a dynamic profile on the water pump in my gaming rig, but I can still slightly hear the water pump. It is not a problem in the gaming rig, because there is always some audio (either speakers or headphones) being used on my gaming rig. However, there are plenty of times when I don't have any audio running on my workstation, so it is really quiet and any computer noises tend to stand out.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

7. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

The Noctua NH-L9i is a really low profile heatsink and fan combo for tiny cases. When I use a Noctua for a purely air cooled workstation, I usually use the Noctua NH-D15S or something similar. The Noctua NH-D15S fits in normal/large cases, and it cools as effectively as a typical AIO style water cooler. For example, I've tested the Noctua NH-D15S back to back against a Cooler Master H110, and the Noctua NH-D15S slightly outperformed the Cooler Master H110. The Noctua NH-D15S is much more effective than the Noctua NH-L9i.

If you have not built your own PC before, I would recommend building a normal sized case first instead of a tiny ITX style system. I think ITX builds are really fun, but they can be tricky. I don't recommend a tiny ITX build as a first system to build. The tricky stuff with tiny ITX builds involves power, heat, and choosing very specific parts that create acceptable compromises in order to get it all to fit.

8. Antypodish

Antypodish

Yep. water pumps tends to run all the time, but at constant speed I believe. While they are not loud, they are definitely not mute. While some air fans may stop when idle, or speed up when under the load.

9. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Yeah, water pumps run constantly. Most water cooled systems have an option to adjust the speed, so it does not run the pump at 100% duty cycle all the time. While that does help some, I can still hear a water pump even at low speeds when I am working.

I realize that a lot of people don't hear their water pumps running. I know several people who run their pumps at full speed all of the time, and they swear they cannot hear the pumps running. I can easily hear their water pumps, though.

10. Antypodish

Antypodish

If some people don't hear water pumps, providing that is the case indeed, I can only suspect, they got air fans which are louder than pumps itself. Or they don't realize, what sound of pump is?

11. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

12. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I have a quality pump Laing DDC with power control, at 50 procent its silent. And still deliver more than enough throughput. I need to put my ear to the chassi and I might hear it if the room is completly silent.

Edit: it's also important to isolate the pump from the chassi so vibrations are not transfered

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Antypodish likes this.
  13. iamthwee

iamthwee

Well I just saw this :D

14. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

15. xCyborg

xCyborg

Just 500? I'm using integrated HD620 and sometimes I hot from 200 to 400 Mrays? is that normal?