Search Unity

RTS Starter Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by boco, Sep 9, 2012.

?

Would you buy this?

1. Yes

66.7%
  2. No

33.3%
  1. boco

boco

Hi I just created a RTS system in C#, Now it's in early stages of development but I wanted to get feedback and maybe ask the Unity Community what features they would like to have in a basic RTS Starter Kit. Here is a video of what I have thus far. Would also like to note any lag here is because of fraps. Killed the Framerate on my machine.
    please email at ThomasAnthonyBaca@gmail.com or PM me here.

2. murteas

murteas

Looks promising. Any thoughts into making this support Turn based combat as well, or only real time?

3. boco

boco

I could look into a turn-based system.. but that would probably be a different system right now I would like to focus on a Real-Time. So I would like to ask what features should I include in a starter kit. So far I have a list of Pathfinding, Controls(Pretty much done), and a basic template for a standard RTS based off of AOE or C&C.

4. boco

boco

Would like some feed back on this asset that I will be releasing here in a few months. I plan to sell this package for $25.00 and I would like to ask the community what features they would like to be in this RTS Starter Kit.

5. boco

boco

*BUMP* I will be posting a playable Download in the next couple of weeks. Work has been consuming most of my Free-Time. So I will keep everyone posted on this RTS Starter Kit Progression.

6. Gatto_matto

Gatto_matto

Hi.

I love RTS and I may buy the asset. I complain there is little attention about this genre in Unity. I think your asset would be the first one that allows using formations in RTS style game.

What about features? Can you first make a list of what have you done so far and wich ones are you planning?

Honestly, I played AOE when I was young... I can't offer you my experience (wich is lacking). I don't know the genre present evolution standards...

I supposed an asset with most common options would fit my personal needs for using armies.

I love ancient soldiers - a possible advanced feature should be to use 2 different weapons, I mean in the past they first throw a javelin and then use swords, but that may not sound "basic"...

Another feature I'd appreciate is about making buildings, and especially walls, I mean long walls sorrounding the cities made with destrucible sections joined togheter (something I saw for instance in Stronghold). Obivously this also sound like an advanced feature!

Thank you for your work! (And sorry for bad english)

See you

7. Gilead Pealleon

Gilead Pealleon

How soon will you be putting out the Download? and how much will it cost? Thanks!

8. shaderx

shaderx

this sounds good, as for features i would suggest stuff about the selecting system
    -being able to assign short cuts for selected units so you can reselect them with pressing a key
    -being able to select units by type (either all units available or just use it as a filter for marke selection)
    one thing i hate in strategy games is repetitive attack animation while fighting, so if you could make it possible to assign multiple attack animations the combat system chooses randomly it would be nice.

9. Anthony85

Anthony85

What you have so far looks promising.

I've dabbled with Unity over the past couple of years, but never really got anywhere (lack of drive mostly), I have a couple of games in mind that I want to make, one of which is a remake of an old RTS game, "War of The Worlds", first released back in 1999. I've had quite a lot of experience modding games such as Age of Mythology (2002) and Star Wars: Empire at war (2005), which is an extremely moddable game, I'll get into why i listed these two games inparticular in a moment.

I'd be more than happy to offer suggestions for you, but as others have said, we need to see a list of features you've already added, as well as a list of features you're adding before release, and a list of any features you plan to add post-release as pack-updates.

IMO, this is what you should include in the initial release of your starter kit:

• Unit creation and movement types templates - Land, water, air, hovering, etc
    • Unit animation management - This all depends on how you want to implement handling unit animations, since, with most RTS games, unit animations are handled in dedicated data files, which list all the animations for a given unit or building, as well as possibly listing any weapons that unit is holding, as well as a list of (if any) attachpoints and/or hardpoints.
    • Weapon templates - basic templates for creating different types of weapons and weapon classes.
    • Projectile types templates - Templates for setting up custom ranged and melee weapons, such as bullets, beams, swords, missiles, arrows, spears, etc
    • A basic template for resources - Pretty self-explanatory, Basically allowing the end user to set up their own resource types.
    • Building template - For buildings, be they production, research, or resource management, or just part of the terrain.
    • Strategic Map template (OPTIONAL) - This is something a bit more advanced, but has been used in very old games (like 'War of the Worlds', the game i mentioned earlier), and fairly recent RTS games like Empire at War, and the Total War series (the strategic map in those games is Turn-based), it should ideally be a template for letting developers create the world map, if they so choose, as i said, this is entirely up to you, and might be a bit too advanced for a starter kit.
    • Data management template (Such as XML implementation) - This all really depends on how you want to handle data management, such as unit data, tech-trees, soundsets (the files that control what sounds are played when), projectiles, hardpoints and attachpoints. The reason i wrote XML specifically is because i've had quite a lot of experience working with Age of Mythology's and Empire at War's XML unit data and tech-tree files, and when i've thought about (and attempted) to create the basics of an RTS unit in Unity, that is the approach i've tried, but with my limited knowledge, i didn't get very far. It seems Unity does not support XML implementation out-of-the-box.
    • Fog of War and Mini-map template - There are already a couple of tutorials out there on how to create mini-maps for racing games, so implementing one for an RTS starter kit shouldn't be difficult.
    • Hardpoint/Attachpoint system - This is something you could either include or leave to the end-developer to add, basically, it's a list of parts of a model that are used for different things, such as holding weapons, firing projectiles, displaying damage (such as attaching particle systems to buildings to represent fire), and designating parts of a model that should be targeted by enemy weapons.

This is all i can think of at the moment, if i can think of any more, i'll add them. Will this kit be compatible with the latest version of Unity?