Search Unity

RTS Maps creation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nitrohex, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Nitrohex

Nitrohex

Can anyone share their thoughts on how can these kind (pictures bellow) of terrains or maps be created in Unity without manually painting every cliff wall etc.
    I have researched some map editors like Starcraft 2 Editor, but there is no way of importing these into Unity.

Thanks

$Map1.png $Map2.jpg $Map3.jpg

2. TheRaider

TheRaider

Tiling, or tileable 3D models

3. Windexglow2

Windexglow2

So these are actually a bunch of pre-made cliffs, usually existing on something like a 5x5 square block. You may be able to look at the invididual cliff models to give you an idea how how they did it.

In WC3 they had pre-made cliff models that were unmodified (excluding Z-terrain height modification). SC2 may do more behind the scenes to give cliffs more variation.

4. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

IMO they are not just tiling, but tiling would be able to give an ok result and be easy to implement.

5. Nitrohex

Nitrohex

SC 2 map editor can make maps like these with painting the terrain just like in Unity but tailored for RTS, its not with tiling, but the problem is that it only exports to SC2.map file..

I tried to make a similar map with Unity terrain editor tools, but is not good enough and it takes a lot of time just to get a portion of the map to look right (RTS style)

6. Ocid

Ocid

Well yeah. SC2's map editor was specifically designed to create RTS maps.

You'd be better off making your editor. Wasn't the source for the map editor released or was it the recording side of it?

7. Nitrohex

Nitrohex

I'm not aware of Blizzard releasing source code of the editor.

Anyhow thanks for all the comments, i will do my best with Unity's Terrain editor for now, and see if it works out.