Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Let us know a bit about your interests, and if you'd like to become more directly involved. Take our survey!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Don't miss out on the Unite LA Keynote for the latest information from Unity! Set a reminder!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

RTS Grid/Tilemap system

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by unity_U29e6nvxBv4W1g, Oct 13, 2018.

1. unity_U29e6nvxBv4W1g

unity_U29e6nvxBv4W1g

Hello everyone , so i am trying to create a grid system for building placement and the problem i have is what i dont know how to calculate y axis on inclined surface. So what am i doing :
    1: Sending a raycast
    2: Rotating placeable object depending on hit.normal
    3: Sending the raycast.hit.point and hit.normal to my method
    4: Checking if normal angle not equal to null , if it is equall y = hit.point.y, if it is not =>7
    5: Getting x and z axises by dividing them on grid cell size , rounding them to nearest integer and multiply them on grid cell size
    6: Storing x and z values to oldx/oldy
    7: If old x not equal to new x (so that means what object moves) and angle is not equal to 0 (that means we are on inclined surface) then we are calculating height of triangle with same angle , but foundation's size equals to our grid cell size and each time x value changes , we are multiplying height to value change divided by size and send this to y value.
    8: Sending back vector3 pos

The main problem now is what for some reason height is bigger , than it suppose to be.
    I think i am just missing something in calculations, please help me find what am i doing wrong.
    Also if you know another way of y axis calculation , feel free to say .
    So here is my code:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  public Vector3 GetNearestPointOnGrid(Vector3 position, Quaternion quat)
    2.     {
    5.         float angle = quat.z * 100 ;
    7.         int xCount = Mathf.RoundToInt(position.x / size);
    8.         int zCount = Mathf.RoundToInt(position.z / size);
    10.         float height;
    11.         if (oldxCount != xCount)
    12.         {
    13.             if (angle != 0)
    14.             {
    15.                 height = (size / Mathf.Cos(angle)) * Mathf.Sin(angle); // height = hypotenuse * sin(angle) , hypotenuse = foundation * cos(angle)
    17.                 print(angle);        
    18.                 yCount += height * ((xCount - oldxCount) / size);
    20.             }
    21.             else
    22.             {
    23.                 yCount = position.y;
    25.             }
    26.         }
    27.         else { yCount = oldyCount; }
    30.         Vector3 result = new Vector3(
    31.             (float)xCount * size,
    32.             (float)yCount ,
    33.             (float)zCount * size);
    35.         oldxCount = xCount;
    36.         oldyCount = yCount;
    37.         oldzCount = zCount;
    38.         return result;
    41.     }
    Screenshot_76.png
    P.S. For now , even with right height value it will works only for z rotation and on the surface deviated relative to the abscissa x. And sorry for my poor english)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  2. unity_U29e6nvxBv4W1g

unity_U29e6nvxBv4W1g

Alright , i solved it by myself . If anyone want to know , Mathf.Sin(float f) use radians , when in my method i tried to paste angle in degrees . If you simply change "height = (size / Mathf.Cos(angle)) * Mathf.Sin(angle); " to " height = Mathf.Tan(angle * Mathf.PI / 180) * size; " everything works fine.

3. unity_U29e6nvxBv4W1g

unity_U29e6nvxBv4W1g

Also in arguments change quatornion quat to float f or in the method instead of float " angle = quat.z * 100 ; " use "angle = quat.eulerAngles.z;"