Search Unity

RTP - Relief Terrain Pack with geometry blend on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Dec 4, 2012.

1. foosart

foosart

No, for some reason lightmaps are being ignored on the terrain. They are only rendering on static meshes that do not have the RTP script assigned to them.

2. tomaszek

tomaszek

Weird, sounds like kind of bug. After lightmapping the terrain, have you checked if it has valid lightmap index (which would imply we've got this object lightmap prepared with proper reference to object) ?

Tom

3. foosart

foosart

Yes, the terrain has a valid lightmap index of 16. I'm using dual lightmaps. The texture files look good. These maps rendered fine on the terrain before updating to RTP 2 (we had to use a shader tweak in RTP 1 for the LOD level).

I rebaked all lightmaps just to make sure everything was set, but it still does not want to render them on the terrain.

4. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

@foosart: Are you using unity 4? Normal mapped Terrain + light-mapping looks broken at the moment. (Does not have anting to do with the RTP 2 (I guess))

5. foosart

foosart

No, I am still using Unity 3.5.7

There are no normal maps on this terrain, only diffuse.

6. foosart

foosart

any thoughts tomasezk?

7. tomaszek

tomaszek

Have no idea. Today I've baked lightmap (dual mode) again using 1 directional light on RTP2 terrain - it works for me in POM/PM/SIMPLE and CLASSIC mode (U3.5.5f2 on Win XP). I used 4 layers mode with no snow (although it shouldn't be any reason for lightmaps to not work as we're talking about CLASSIC mode issue).

Maybe you could just get this simple mode form RTP1 (or compare what could be the difference).

Tom

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  8. foosart

foosart

The terrain is displaying ok now on all scenes in the editor. But now when we create builds the terrain is not rendering correctly. In this example our project has 2 scenes. 1 scene for the Main Menu and 1 scene for the main game. Both scenes have the same terrain that use RTP in POM mode. After creating builds and running the game, the terrain does not render correctly in the Main Menu, but renders ok in the Main Game. It is frustrating since they both use the same terrain and same textures.

$RTP-issue1.jpg $RTP-issue2.jpg

9. tomaszek

tomaszek

An user had similar problem before. Apparently somethig goes wrong after building. Try to make build with debugging and see where (possibly) script could make troubles. Look for possible NullReference exceptions or so (you should be able to get line number in problematic script, too).

ATB, Tom

10. foosart

foosart

We found the problem. The atlas textures were not set to have "read / write" enabled. Once we set this, the builds work correctly. Thank you!

11. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Maybe I'm doing it wrong.... but I think I need a very indepth tutorial of how to add this component to a terrain!

I can't seem to get the parallax effect to work. When I add the component to one of my own terrains, it always just looks like a plain old bump map, without parallax effect (not very exciting).

It works fine in the Demo project, but there I get an error when I open the layer properties (a single layer stays visible, all below it gets lost). This is the error:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    ReliefTerrainEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/ReliefPack/Editor/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrainEditor.cs:483)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditors (Boolean isRepaintEvent, UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Boolean eyeDropperDirty) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:863)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

12. tomaszek

tomaszek

Hi,

Your problem has nothing to do with documentation. It's just a bug. Which version of RTP do you use ? I'm uploading new RTP update right now, but you'll probably have to wait a day or two till AssetStore people put it there. What I can suggest this moment is removing RTP script component (ReliefTerrain.cs) and putting it again. Your setting will be lost, but you'll be able to continue your work.

There are 3 factors that might result in lack of parallax effects:
    1. you need heightmaps attached to layers (bump maps are not enough)
    2. using triplanar feature in shader settings (in RTP_LODmanager object) disables parallax
    3. using global color map with zero (black) alpha channel disables parallax

You may also check for too small value of extrusion height in global settings, or check for reduced extrusion that can be set per layer (in layer settings).

ATB, Tom

13. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Hi Tom

Good to know about the newer version ... I'll check it out as soon as you uploaded it,

1. Tried that, didn't work, removed it as soon as I've seen that your Demo was also missing them ... I have a question there though: the title of this Element is Heightmap (A) ... what does the "(A)" mean?

2. haven't activated triplanar setting, but I'll check again

3. I haven't set any global color map yet ... is that a problem?

I'll checked this settings already, they didn't do anything for me

thanks for the quick response!

regards

Gian-Reto

14. tomaszek

tomaszek

(A) means - alpha channel, so your heightmap need alpha channel to work (if I haven't mentioned it already). So - best is using Alpha8 compression on heightmaps (available in texture mode set to advanced).

15. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Hi Tom

What is the point of the Alpha channel on the heightmap? What do I need to pack into it? Just adding an alpha channel to my height map didn't help at all.

Also, just checked my scene:
    -> Triplanar is off
    -> no extrude reduction used, and the extrude height slider under POM settings is not doing anything
    -> I removed the script and added it again, still the same problem

When will we see a newer version of your scripts in the Asset Store? Any Estimate? Or is it already there?

Thanks for any help

Ragards

Gian-Reto

16. foosart

foosart

The only way I had success getting POM to render in RTP 2 was using the combined heightmaps option (method used in RTP 1). When I tried assigning individual heightmaps to each detail layer, no POM effect was rendered. Combined heightmaps seems like it would be more efficient anyway, since it only requires 2 RGBA texture maps.

17. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Well, that did the trick, thanks a lot!

I just had to set the combined height map...

That begs the question though, is there any possibility of adding an additional heightmap texture so I could use up to 8 terrain textures?

18. tomaszek

tomaszek

Well, I'm trying to guess why can't you apply heightmaps to individual layers. Any error you receive trying ? They should have the same size for layers 0-3, 4-8 and 9-12 which is maximum number of POM layers handled by RTP - layers 0-7 are rendered in first pass then, in 8layers mode, layers 8-11 are renderen by AddPass shader. Also heightmaps need to have alpha channel (it's the only channel used) defining the height relief (so you should preferably use Alpha8 texture compression as we don't need color channels). Doing it on "clean" (freshly attached ReliefTerrain script) script component should work w/o problems. Then combined layers are made dynamically (changing any of heightmap of layer group 0-3, 4-7, 8-11 should inkove automatic making of combined heightmap, so user don't have to think about it (and using texture channel combiner which is kind of "bonus" in RTP2 now). Using more than 4 layers is straightforward - add more layers in unity's terrain editor and apply textures/ params needed in my script (bumpmaps and heightmaps). You can, of course put combined heightmap by hand in heightmaps foldut, too.

Tom

P.S. I'm waiting for AssetStore staff acceptance for latest update. it should be there in day or two from now.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  19. ylg

ylg

Quick question (I hope.) I've pulled this into a mostly empty test project, created a terrain via heightmap, applied one of the demo textures and normals that comes with RTP to that terrain, added the Relief Terrain script to the terrain instance in the scene, and hit play. I wasn't expecting any improvement yet--my intention was to start working with RTP and the samples to learn by doing—but I wasn't expecting to see this either:

$Screen Shot 2013-05-14 at 20.31.54 .jpg

Those blue areas flicker and move around in response to any movement of the camera, just the movement from tracking the avatar's idle animation causes a very rapid flicker effect. If I change the LOD to Classic, the blue areas go away, but POM, PM, and Simple settings have those blue areas (presumably the empty skybox bleeding through the terrain.)

In the same project the TerrainScene does not do this with any of the LOD settings, i.e., POM, PM, Simple are all OK, so I assume there must be some additional, minimum step needed to minimally setup a scene/terrain with RTP, which I missed?

(Unity 4.1.2f1, RTP 2.1, OS X 10.8.3 with Radeon 4850)

20. tomaszek

tomaszek

Ooops, got no idea what could cause such a mess, because nobody (including Mac users) reported this...
    Looks like holes in terrain, but I don't use any alpha cut-off features in my shader :(.

1. Paint a bit of height on terrain (it looks flat causing very big trialngles to be renderd because unity terrain engine optimizes this and big triangles distorts parallax effects)

2. RTP is compatible with U3.5, so it doesnt use U4 normal maps defined in terrain layer (added via edit texures button). To add normalmaps - put them in layer properties in my script inspector

3. maybe try to add more textures (but it shouldn't make any difference)

4. which render path do you use (forward/deferred) ?

5. shadows, fullscreen effect ?

Report me any progress, please.

ATB, Tom

21. ylg

ylg

Here's a screenshot with some varied terrain, note in this shot you can see better that the blue areas are in square around the camera, and do not extend very far.

$Screen Shot 2013-05-15 at 11.29.30 .jpg

Done.

Tried a few, whether I use one, many or none, with or without normals doesn't change whether this presents.

The problem only presents with Forward, i.e., Vertex and Deferred are OK.

Hard and hard+soft both present this, no shadows at all is OK. Running without MSAA presents the problem, with any level of MSAA it's OK. I tried a random set of effects, and it seems that having any one more effects on the camera will cause this (I tried Noise and Grain, Motion Blur, AA as Post, Glow, and Bloom—noise is on in the images I've attached.)

To summarize, all of these together seem to trigger the problem:
    1. Forward rendering
    2. Hard or hard+soft shadows
    3. No MSAA
    4. Any image effect

Glad to help more, just let me know what I can check or test.

22. nuverian

nuverian

Cause I'm a bit lost in the thread.

Can I use those features on standard meshes or only terrain? Can I blend 2 meshes together, or only mesh+terrain?

23. tomaszek

tomaszek

You can use my shaders on arbitrary mesh, but you'll have to provide splatmaps yourself (the same as Unity terrain engine makes it). In my demo scene I just exported mesh from WorldMachine2, then optimized this in Blender (single mesh can't have more than 65000 tris) then I used this model providing with splatmaps managed for terrain.

RTP2 can blend mesh vs. mesh (however you have to know that blended object won't work with shaders that uses vertices colors as we need them for blending). In the package you'll find bumped specular shader that blend with terrain (either true "terrain" or mesh based) and have ability to handle global snow.

Tom

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  24. tomaszek

tomaszek

@ ylg - I'll try your setup, but it definitely looks like Unity rendering pipeline bug (BTW - I know more such bugs when using postprocess fxes in forward - it's so bad that rendering pipeline for screen buffer and thru post fxes makes difference which breaks some functionality in my other product RSP :( ).

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  25. tomaszek

tomaszek

@ylg - I setup the same with different RTP shader settings in openGL mode (WinXP, unity 4.1.2f1) but can not reproduce your bug.

26. ylg

ylg

Maybe it only presents on OS X (which would be good-ish news.) I've:
    1. Created a blank project
    2. Imported RTP, Pro Image Effects, Unity's Loco Setup (just for movement ability), and Unity's Scripts (for quick camera stuff.)
    3. Created a terrain using Unity's tools, i.e., no heightmap and applied a texture from an Allegorithmic substance (as textures, not as a substance.)
    4. Did the minimum setup to get an avatar and camera looking at it
    5. At this point there's no visibile problem
    6. Added Noise to the active camera—now there is that problem
    7. Turned on MSAA 2X—problem gone
    8. Turned off MSAA and removed noise effect—problem gone
    9. Added Bloom 4.0—problem presents

I'll send you a PM with a download location for this minimum project.

27. Wrekk

Wrekk

My terrain has really bad quality when using DX11. Any ideas why?
    Here's a screenshot of the terrain:
    http://i.imgur.com/7iKYMEX.jpg

Please reply fast, thanks. :)

EDIT: When I use DX9 the terrain is all white.
    I am using RTP v2.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  28. tomaszek

tomaszek

Could you give me more specs (hardware, OS, unity version) ? you could also preferably give me basicproject setup (zipped) where problem occurs. RTP2 has been tested under DX10 hardware (HD3000) and DX11 (GT540M) on Win7 / laptop - worked fine i both DX9 and DX11 mode.

Tom

P.S. Excuse - it's Sunday, I'll resond tomorrow.

29. Kreyg

Kreyg

EDIT: Had a few issue, but all are resolved! Great support, and wonderful asset!

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  30. tomaszek

tomaszek

Dear Kreyg,

I'm really sorry you've got such a bad impression of what I've done...

1. Long import time (and crash ?) is thing that bothers me much, but I can't help. The -1 you'd like to review should be rather put to Unity's shader compiler...
    2. I realise my doc is a little thin comparing to the all RTP features (my fault), but is a good start I believe.
    3. You can use texture of any size (up to 2048 ) , the only constraint is 2048x2048 that will work only for standalone in 8layer mode (where 8 layers are rendered in 1 pass). As normalmaps are combined across adjanced layers (0+1, 2+3, 4+5 and so on) you have to take care that paired normalmaps are of the same size.
    4. The reason your textures might not work to establish paralax effects is probably your heightmaps don't have alpha channel.

I might establish 1-to-1 support session on skype if you wish (drop me PM with your skype ID and invoice number), I could guide you via desktopshare.
    I plan to make throughout video tutorials, but have to be well edited (as I'm not native speaker - one of the reasons).

Kindest Regards, Tom

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  31. Kreyg

Kreyg

Thanks for the reply.

I've been messing with the tool for the last 2-3hrs now with some pretty encouraging results. Just a lot of experimenting, and seeing what the tool can do. I've edited a few of the supplied textures to get close to what I was looking to get with this. I wouldn't say I have a bad impression, because the tool sold itself to me, it was what I've been looking for, it's just for the first few hours of owning it, I seemed to hit a bunch of roadblocks all at once. However, I am slowly conquering them.

I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface either of what can be done.

I am going to look into this now. Thanks for that!

EDIT: That worked! THANK YOU!

If you need help with making a tutorial, I'd be glad to give you a hand in anyway I could.

Great Response/Support is worth always worth 5 stars IMO. I've had issues lately with buying things and not getting support, so I want you to know I really appreciate your reply. Thanks a bunch! I will shoot you a PM. I am about to head to bed as it's 2:30am here, but I will send it when I wake up. Thanks again!

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  32. ChadH

ChadH

RTP 2 is the BEST shader available for Unity at this time (IMHO). I have used many other packages and felt disappointed in their performance/support. The price is very reasonable. The asset has a wealth of parameters to allow you almost unlimited variation.
    In addition to the obvious and above stated reasons, Tomaszek provides EXCELLENT customer support and will go above and beyond to assist you with any issues you may have.
    I have found that all of the issues I was having, were due to my lack of understanding of the product. I realize that the documentation may appear to be a bit thin, but Tomaszek is working on more detailed info for everyone.
    There is only one issue I am having with the painting of geometry blend (because I am on Mac) and this has nothing to with the asset itself. It is related to Mac and OpenGL.
    Despite this fact, Tomaszek is trying to resolve the issue for me.
    That is what I call, true and dedicated customer support.

Thank you Tomaszek for providing a wonderful asset and exceptional customer support!

33. Kreyg

Kreyg

After taking a bit more time to learn the tool, I am extremely pleased with it. I've enhanced my terrain so much, and it's exactly how I wanted it to look.

I reviewed the product in the asset store today 5/5.

I do still hope to see some better documentation/tutorials with this, but the support is top notch so it's forgivable.

Worth every penny.

34. bbedwell

bbedwell

How detailed of a terrain can you have when near the ground (5-10 ft)?

Can you have that ground detail and then be able to move up to 2000ft with the terrain looking infinite (blending into the fog)?

35. tomaszek

tomaszek

How detailed terrain can be you can look at many screenshots. In the demo we're looking at terrain from about 6ft to (use , / .) 160ft. To make terrain "infinite" - you can setup fog and make your terrain larger (mine has 1024 heightmap used). Maybe stich a few terrain objects together (or use far distance models) in U4.

Tom

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  36. Becoming

Becoming

Hi Tom! Great work! I am looking at the webplayer demos at the moment, i will probably buy this package within the next weeks(i am also going to purchase unity pro, just waiting for the unity guys to answer my email ;)) The terrrain in unity was always the biggest letdown... but i guess with your tool it could work out well!

I have some questions:
    do you think it is possible to use your RTP on a large scale terrain(2049 heightmap, 2048 splatmap, 10kmx10km, infinite view distance)?
    This is what we use right now(still on indie), you can see the project here: http://youtu.be/YsQScHNA1hs
    as you can see that we are really pushing unity indie(20mb webplayer) to its limits, imagine what we can do with pro and your RTP ;)

We're probably going to devide the terrain into 16 (or even 64) parts for performance reasons and see if we can increase the resolution...
    Could you guess how the performance would be with your system? Right now we have good framerate even at lower end machines.

Is it possible to use the dx11 mode and have RTP still working?

Do you have any plans on doing a tesselation based terrain in the future?

Do you plan to combine the triplanar shader with POM at some point?

Sorry if the questions seem uneducated for some reason, im no programmer, i'm the artist and game designer in our 2 guys team ;)

If you say the performance would be within manageable range, you surely have a new customer :)
    By the way, some feedback from what i've seen so far(demos and roughly read through your threads):
    The price of 50$ is awesome! If it works as great as i think, i would even pay more! You seem to respond to every post on your threads, as a potential customer i see this a big plus!!!
    I think your demos could be a little more polished, i think you are far from the potential it has. Add a little blueish ambientlight in the shadows(way to dark) and work on the specularity, the rock could use a little more shinyness, and the snow too. Maybe reduce the strength of the POM a little bit, just to give a more definition to the normalmaps, right now it seems almost on the edge to artefacts, especially on the grass.

This is what i think as an artist... just a suggestion! Looking forward to your reply!!

Cheers,
    Peter

37. tomaszek

tomaszek

2048 - why not ? Shaders are pixel intensive, not vertex intensive (screen coverage has more impact on performance comparing to number of vertices rendered).

DX11 - RTP works (tested on nVidia 540M), but it doesn't use tessellation (yet)

Tessellated terrain in the future - if only sales number will justify further RTP development (I believe it's still underestimated and underadvertised product comparing to its potential) - its more or less on my "roadmap"

Triplanar+POM = no way right now due to lack of resources available for shader (it's pushed to the limits) :(

I'm not an artist, so my demos might not be impressive enough I guess :). Self-shadow colorization - interesting idea to put in next update.

Kindest regards, Tom

38. Becoming

Becoming

Thanks for the reply! Sounds awesome! I really hope it will pay off for you and you really deserve it as your work is great. You could try to increase the price for it as i percieve 50$ as very low for such an useful set of shaders/tools. Just let me know beforehand so i can get it for 50, haha! I believe that many people tend to judge quality too much on the pricetag and therefor might underestimate RTP...

Do you offer the updates for free or do you take that extra... and if so, what would it cost to have updates included all in one?
    After i get Unity Pro i will surely get RTP too(1 or 2 licenses) as it will be just perfect for our game (and i promise to write a good review if it works as great as expected). If you're interested you can use our project to advertise for RTP, but it will take quite some time till we have set up everything for the final terrain. So just the sound of future here ;) Again, i'm very impressed by your work and happy that there is a way to improve the poor unity terrain without hiring a programmer to do it from scratch!!!

Do the RTP shaders support projected details i.e. tiretracks on it? (maybe a stupid question but again im just an artist, regularily struggling with technical constraints)

Another question that just comes to my mind: Are the shaders also useable on a mesh? We have to do some caves/holes in the terrain and therefore need to cover some places without haveing too obvious borders. The meshblending feature is already great for this but it would be even better if the covermesh has the same shader applied... I made my own terrain like splatmap shader for this purpose on strumpys shader editor but it is by far not as advanced as yours! Edit: i see it is possible from the conversation above!

@ Shadow colors: Absolutely important imho, as it looks wrong if the shadows are just black ;) really want that in an update ;)

@ Triplanar+POM: Too bad, but i like to dream, now i have a hard decision to make, POM or triplanar... especially hard in my case as we have very steep cliffs on the terrain :confused:

@ Your demos: It wouldn't harm if you put some trees or grass or even other things on it, so people can imagine a little bit better how it would look like in a final game environment. Also i didnt like that the light is always turning without the ability to turn that off. I mean its great to see the POM effect but also made it hard to judge the look when its steady lit.

By the way, thats beyond shaders but have you ever thought of going a procedural approach at terrains? While looking for terrain solutions for our game i found this(http://youtu.be/8-5Z_031x00) and was wondering if somthing like it would be possible in unity... especially usefull for web projects as it features an relatively convincing infinite terrain within kilobytes... killer for webplayer stuff!!

However, i really look forward to get my hands on RTP soon ;)

Sorry for the long post, keep up your great work!!
    Peter

ps.: You make great music too!!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  39. tomaszek

tomaszek

tiretracks - don't touch projectors for that. It would mean you're rendering whole terrain mesh again using projetor ! you have to implement it using trail renderers I guess (additional flat geometry sticked to the ground with proper shader). I think about RSP update, too and put there solutions to do it (to autostick flat mesh to the ground and shade it good to get unlimited variety on the ground)

triplanar - or POM ? You might think about blending geometry on steep slopes using some good shader (dual normal like I wrote for Michael O. medieval package rocks). Making blending shader out of arbitrary one isn't hard even for non-programmer and I'll try to show it on an incoming tutorial.

ATB, Tom

P.S. I'm working now on some blending improvements that will make developer life easy (blending objects will take a few clicks) + I'd like to put some new features on RTP shader itself.

40. Samsson

Samsson

Hi !

Just to say thanks ! This product is very impressive with substance ! Look at that :

$terrainRTP2.jpg

41. tomaszek

tomaszek

Hi,

Looks quite good !

Using RTP2.1 with substance output grab works more or less and can really speed-up workflow, but has a little bug on normalmaps (pixel border on edges, while in openGL it's even more screwed :oops: ) but it's detected and will be fixed in next release.

1. you could try to use geom blend on rocks to melt it with terrain (now we see hard geometry intersection). I'm on the way to make tutorial on how to tweak most of surface shaders into RTP geom-blend compatible - it's quite easy for non-programmes, too.

2. Maybe you should use trilinear filtering on your diffuse maps (I see circles of changing MIP level as distance from camera grows). Maybe you made it this way intentionally (to save a tiny bit of performance)

3. RTP2.5 is coming (better geom-blend that will be very fast and handy to use), UI tweaks, tutorials and some _brand new_ cool feature (should impress people I believe)

Kindest Regards, Tom

P.S. BTW - grass... this everlasting Unity ugliness is also on my way (stay tuned :) in incoming 2-3 months)

42. Samsson

Samsson

The blend geometry is pretty hard to use indeed, ameliorate the workflow is a really good idear !
    Tutorials would be a big plus, and by the way, how do you make the color map ?

About Subsance and RTP, i had an issue when i loaded the texture (get texture). The first time you "get textures" doesn't works, i had to load them a second time.
    There is also some weird artifact's render when the texture is sized at 2048 (not really useful by the way, too expensive to be used in a game).

The Grass in Unity .... same as the terrain editor : Outdated from 10 years ! If you can do something, i'm in !

43. Becoming

Becoming

Thanks for the tip on not using projectors, will definitely do as you suggested!!
    Since we have a very high view distance (necessary for flight sims) we use multiple cameras:

near clipping / far clipping:
    0.01 / 11 (near Camera)
    10 / 3001 (mid Camera)
    3000 / 30000 (far Camera)
    30000 / 100000 (only for waterplane and horizon objects)

The overlapping is because without this there would be ugly seams visible. I assume this also makes the terrain to be rendered multiple times... do you have a suggestion for this? Using only 1 camera is not an option since this would introduce very ugly z-fighting.

Im in pleasant anticipation to use RTP and the upcoming updates you mentioned above.

We are going to use your tool together with the following other tools for our terrains:
    Terrain Composer
    EasyRoads (The author is working on tunnels and overhanging cliffs, that would be a big benefit for our project)
    Substance Designer/Bitmap2Material

As far as i see all of them are compatible with RTP, i hope you/the other authors keep it compatible since i percieve these tools together as the ultimative terrain solution for unity!

Please don't forget about this one, its very important for the realism!!
    Also the shadows should not be 100% opaque. I'm not sure if it's just the settings you used in your demo and its already possible or if it would need a new feature... Did you use ambient light in your demos?

However, thanks for making RTP and especially for being so responsive to questions and feedback!!
    You totally rock!!!

44. tomaszek

tomaszek

Hi,

Your 3 cameras setup is working solution, but 10 meters for closest camera sounds odd close for me ? Maybe you could play with stronger fog settings to hide 100km distances ? You won't avoid rendering terrain 3 times with its vertices load, but this should be the only bottleneck here, not my fancy pixel shader since your overlap distance is relatively small (no big overdraw introduced).

Use multiple terrains with RTP - in new U4 we can set terrain material, so different shaders may be used for far camera rendering (I guess simple colormap only with vertex lighting will be sufficient). Set pixel error to higher value for far terrains - they won't render that many polys. If you use lightmap, or colormap with baked lighting you may get your far terrain look detailed (in terms of its shaping) while it could get few polys (only on the horizon - mountain peaks - would look "triangular" and this won't be avoided unless we tesellate it in DX11). To avoid triangular mountain peaks shape due to far terrain low-poly consider using some landscape panorama there (either baked in skybox or placed as separate object w/o fog applied).

In regards to your previous question about triplanar - I'd recommend using POM/PM (PM is fast comparing to POM with self-shadows, but this can be set in your game gfx quality settings) and geom blend for steep parts, overhangs, caves. Wait a bit for RTP2.5 where I improved blend functionalities and they're very easy to use now with almost any shader you need. This should look the best and render fast as I queue geom blend base pass as -101 so it's drawn before terrain - terrain lying under blended objects will skip pixel shader and will render very fast (only vertex shader calculations needed). Use umbra occlusion and maybe lighmapping for even better optimization.

I'm not sure if TerrainComposer or EasyRoads come with terrain replacement shaders - if so - don't import them (shaders) as they would interfere with RTP.

RTP doesn't replace lighting model (BlinPhong) - ambient lighting (set in project render settings) may be adjusted to be not monochrome. POM self-shadowing is fully controllable. Hard/soft shadows + shadowing strength + shadow colorization introduced in next release as you asked for, but I guess it's not necessary as you can adjust ambient lighting globaly - when diffuse/albedo pixel color gets black due to self-shadow which damp it to zero, you'll still see ambient color.

ATB, Tom

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  45. tomaszek

tomaszek

I get it from World Machine where my demo project scene has originated. In RTP2.5 I'll introduce global colormap hand painting tool.

ATB, Tom

46. Samsson

Samsson

Nice to ear, when do you think the 2.5 will be released ?

47. tomaszek

tomaszek

I guess in a week or two (estimately).

48. Samsson

Samsson

Nice !

This product is really good, stay firm and good luck to all this work!

49. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Wait...you are looking into improving Unity's grass?
    Your timing is awesome (even 2-3 months). After seeing what you did with RTP, I am very eager to see what you create. Might I also ask...at some point, for you to bend an eye towards trees, and vegetation in general.
    Thanks,
    JC

50. bbedwell

bbedwell

Before I decide to buy this please clarify the workflow because the PDF you linked is hard to follow (for me at least).

I'm using Unity 3.5.7 just to clarify.

So from the PDF I'm getting that I would:

- Create a Unity terrain
    - Apply my RAW heightmap (in this case it would be from World Machine)
    - Apply my terrain textures
    - Apply the script to the terrain

Would this be correct?