Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RT-Voice - Run-time text-to-speech solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stefan-Laubenberger, Jul 10, 2015.

1. m4a44

m4a44

Hey, are there any known limitations to how many speeches can be said in a session? I haven't seen anything in any documentation.

Right now, using Azure as the provider, we are finding that after playing around 150 speeches, RT Voice just stops creating audio (The generated audio file is invalid) until we stop and start playmode again.

We're also using the Global Caching, and a modified version of the Paralanguage script (if that helps).

2. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

We're not aware of any problems - I also did a quick test and generated 300 speeches with Azure and it worked.

There are many possibilities why this could happen, like running out of disk pace, too many connections at once, invalid speeches (SSML tags), Azure settings etc.
    To investigate the issue, please provide more details on how exactly you are using our asset.
    It's also important to know the Unity and RT-Voice version.

Cheers
    Stefan

3. m4a44

m4a44

Ok, I will setup a test project then to see if I can narrow it down further.

It takes around 16 minutes before failing (the vast majority of that from speech), and it's through Unity Visual Scripting (over around 14 speech nodes).
    Disk space is fine, only 1 connection at a time, text was properly setup (the speeches worked fine outside of the flow), and there aren't many Azure settings to change (changing the sample rate didn't fix it).
    Happened across 2 separate PCs at around the same line of speech (it is fairly consistent).

Using Unity version 2021.2.11f1 and RT-Voice version 2022.1.2

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  4. m4a44

m4a44

So, removed some fluff, changed all the speech lines to Lorum Ipsum and I am seeing that after 15 minutes of consecutive speech, it fails (seems to be a time based error, not amount error).
    About 3 UVS nodes, 28 speech clips with about 5 voices (got that number from the Global Cache, which is weird since it should be trying to load a clip that has the same text and voice from the cache, no?).

Considering our game is narrative heavy, it looks like we managed to hit that seemingly arbitrary limit pretty easily...

Attached Files:

5. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hello again

We found a solution to the problem!
    Please send us your invoice via email and we will give you the update.

So long,
    Stefan

m4a44 likes this.
  6. vamosfa

vamosfa

Hi! I just installed the asset, I tried to follow the first video tutorial
    but only writting the 2 lines of code I receive more than 20 errors in the project. But it is worse, despite I commented on the code of RTVoice and compiled, the errors continue in the Console, so I can not continue working in my project.I read all the docs but I do not know how to solve it

Photos:

upload_2022-6-14_21-59-17.png

7. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

Unfortunately, this video is really old and we should have replaced it by now, but we're really busy with all the stuff that's currently going on. I apologize for the time it consumed!
    However, please import the "Demos.unitypackage" and take a look at "SimpleRTVoiceExample.cs" or you could try the example from chapter 5.2.7 of the documentation:
    https://www.crosstales.com/media/data/assets/rtvoice/RTVoice-doc.pdf

I hope this helps you further.

Cheers
    Stefan

8. vamosfa

vamosfa

Hi, if this is the case I strongly suggest deleting the video as it can cause problems.
    Ok, I imported the Demos package despite it was not mentioned in the docs, but the 21 errors still persist in my project. It is very strange as I deleted the script of the video and I did not code anything of the asset, but I still have all these 21 errors related to the asset. Never happened to me before.
    Should I delete the full asset and import it again?

9. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Please try that, but as it seems, your version of RT-Voice is quite old. Can you please make sure you are using 2022.1.1?

10. vamosfa

vamosfa

I deleted the full asset and imported it again, and the errors disappeared.
    So now, as reading SimpleRTVoiceExample.cs is not enough, do you recommend me to follow this tuto? It is updated?:

11. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hello again

Unfortunately, it's also not totally accurate - we will produce new videos for all our assets in August 2022.
    The main change is that you have to use "Speaker.Instance.xy" , e.g. Speaker.Instance.Speak.
    If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers
    Stefan

vamosfa likes this.
  12. PixelShenanigans

PixelShenanigans

Hi Stefan, I've just started using RTVoice on a project that is going to be using text to speech, and control a character's mouth (Synty Polygon Kids) - I've registered the OnSpeakCurrentPhoneme event and am seeing the phoneme values but am unsure what they represent, since they are mostly unprintable characters (e.g. '\a', ASCII 7, is the first phoneme returned for "hello"). Do you have any documentation on what phoneme set you are returning? I am going to be mapping these to mouth textures that represent the A AEI BMP F L O R SH_K TH U phonemes.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  13. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

First of all, are you planning to use only Windows? Because this is the only platform that supports phonemes in RT-Voice at all.
    To move the mouth on all platforms, we would recommend using SALSA:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/slug/148442?aid=1011lNGT

So long,
    Stefan

14. PixelShenanigans

PixelShenanigans

Thanks, Stefan. Yes, on Windows. I am seeing the phoneme events but don't know how to interpret the values (I need to map these to Synty textures representing the A AEI BMP F L O R SH_K TH U phonemes). For example, speaking "hello" fires the following events:

OnSpeakCurrentPhoneme: 7
    OnSpeakCurrentWord: hello
    OnSpeakCurrentPhoneme: 26
    OnSpeakCurrentPhoneme: 21
    OnSpeakCurrentPhoneme: 31
    OnSpeakCurrentPhoneme: 35

How do I interpret these values and map them to the A AEI BMP F L O R SH_K TH U phonemes?

I have tried RTVoice/SALSA and it works ok but it is limited to analyzing the amplitude of the speech, so it's kind of faking the phenomes - I'd like to make use of the data coming out of RTVoice to make the mouth movements look more realistic.

15. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hello again

Please take a look at the official mapping from Microsoft: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/desktop/ms717239(v=vs.85)

We will return the SYM-code from this mapping-table in the next RTV release.

All the best,
    Stefan

16. masai2k

masai2k

Hi Stefan,
    I need to use voices from Google TTS and Azure TTS. This is my code to change the provider and select the right voice from this provider:

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (service == "azure")
    2.         {
    3.             Speaker.Instance.CustomProvider = customVoiceProviderAzure;
    4.         }
    5.         else if (service == "google")
    6.         {
    7.             Speaker.Instance.CustomProvider = customVoiceProviderGoogle;
    8.         }
    9. Debug.Log("service name:" + Speaker.Instance.CustomProvider);
    11. Debug.Log("Real voice from name: " + Speaker.Instance.VoiceForName("it-IT-DiegoNeural"));
    the first debug confirms that I changed the provider, but the second one can't find the voice and return this warning:

No voice for name 'it-IT-DiegoNeural' found! Speaking with the default voice

Where am I wrong??

Thanks
    massimo

17. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi Massimo

The name of the voice is different for Azure and Google ('it-IT-DiegoNeural' is for Azure, the name for Google is something else).
    Furthermore, you have to wait for the callback "OnVoicesReady" before accessing any voices of a provider.

Cheers
    Stefan

18. masai2k

masai2k

Thank you Stefan, I add the callback and now all is perfect!

Stefan-Laubenberger likes this.
  19. Ward101

Ward101

Hi! Newbe question. Working with RT-Voice on Windows (and with Windows voices), Spanish and English.
    How can I emphasize a question? Let´s say ... Y write a question, but the voice speaks as a normal sentence (no emphasis). DO I have to use any special tag? I need just a hint on where to find ...

20. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

The solution is SSML, you find more details in the SSML.txt:
    upload_2022-8-5_17-59-30.png

It works with tags, like this:
    This is <emphasis level="strong">stronger</emphasis> than the rest.

Cheers
    Stefan

21. Ward101

Ward101

Thanks! Will check it later.

Eduardo

22. XyrisKenn

XyrisKenn

To optimize CPU I'd like to stop and start emotive SALSA processing depending on if the player is speaking to an avatar or not.
    To stop facial animation, would calling the method SALSA -> TurnOfAll() be the method to use?
    To restart facial animation and lipsync ability, would Salsa -> Initialize() be the way to go?
    Thank you kindly!
    The new Azure improvements look awesome.

23. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

It looks correct, but to be sure, please ask the SALSA guys :)

Cheers
    Stefan

24. XyrisKenn

XyrisKenn

OMG, my apology Stefan! Thanks for your reply. :eek:

25. Justin_Terry

Justin_Terry

Hello Stefan,

I'm currently working on an app for Android and iOS and having issues with RTVoice. The issue affects iOS only, on Android everything seems to be working fine.

The problem is that the OnSpeakComplete callback is not called when the Speaker reaches the end of the string. However, if I call Silence() then the callback is called. I saw that there was someone else with this issue a while back and since it wasn't clear what version got the fix, I updated my plugin version to 2022.2.0 (originally was using 2021.3.3) but the issue is still there for me.

I've also tried to workaround this issue by just checking Speaker.Instance.isSpeaking but it also stays set to true after the the Speaker reaches the end of the string.

Do you have any ideas why this is happening only on iOS and what I can do to resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance!

26. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

Unfortunately, I'm on holiday without a Mac, so we have to try it together;)
    Can you please uncomment line 12 of "RTVoiceIOSBridge.mm" from "Assets\Plugins\crosstales\RTVoice\Libraries\iOS"and build again?
    You should see the following logs in Xcode:
    • didStartSpeechUtterance (after starting a speech)
    • didFinishSpeechUtterance (after finishing the speech)
    • didCancelSpeechUtterance (if you cancel the speech)
    Do you see those messages?

So long,
    Stefan

27. Justin_Terry

Justin_Terry

I do see them in XCode.
    I am also seeing willSpeakRangeOfSpeechString and SendMessage: RTVoice not found repeatedly until it finishes speaking.

28. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hmm, this is strange... Is the RTVoice-prefab in the scene and the gameobject called "RTVoice"?

29. Justin_Terry

Justin_Terry

There is an RTVoice prefab and it is called "RTVoice".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  30. stfunity

stfunity

Question, if I am working on Mozilla / Coqui TTS with Windows and I've downloaded ESpeak 64-bit, is it possible to link to it in Unity?

31. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

The message "SendMessage: RTVoice not found" implies that it can't find the gameobject RTVoice.
    The strange thing is, that we haven't changed anything in the sendmessage-part in years and it always worked under iOS...
    What's your Unity-version?
    Furthermore, please try this: remove "RTVoice" from the scene (it will be added automatically) and try it again. Does the message still persist?

32. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

I assume you mean in a WebGL-build?
    To access voices from the browser, you will need an additional plugin called "WebGL Speech Synthesis":
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/slug/81861?aid=1011lNGT

Then use our integration in the "3rd party"-folder.

Does that help you further?

33. Justin_Terry

Justin_Terry

If I remove the RTVoice prefab, the app crashes when Speaker.Instance.Speak() is called.

We're using 2020.3.14

34. maswa

maswa

Hello @Stefan-Laubenberger, it's my first time using this asset!

I'm struggling to add voices on windows, it gives me errors, then I tried to use the MaryTTS, I attempted to click on the add button, but nothing happened, I'm only trying to use this one, also, where can I see how to add voices with MaryTTS? In the documentation I only see the link to the page!
    Thanks for the response.

upload_2022-8-27_16-40-36.png

35. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

This is really perplexing to me and I have to test it in September since I'm currently traveling without a Mac.

36. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

Have you extracted the MaryTTS-package from the "Extras"-folder?
    You will need to install your MaryTTS-server (see the documentation in the package) or send us your desired username and invoice via email to get an account for our test-server.

Cheers
    Stefan

37. Anpu23

Anpu23

Hay, thank you for a great asset. I love it. I've been using it for visual chatbots with SALSA (think animated ragdolls with input output via AIML files). Only problem I have is the SALSA add on doesn't have the ability to chose voice, I just want to create a public string for the voice voice name and dump it into their add on. But I need to re-write this line to recognize the "voice" variable:
    public void Speak(string speakString)
    {
    uid = Speaker.Instance.SpeakNative(speakString, Speaker.Instance.VoiceForGender(Crosstales.RTVoice.Model.Enum.Gender.FEMALE, "en-GB"), 1.0f);
    }

so rather then finding the gender "en-GB" it just refers to a voice by name (expecting to tie in Marry TTS for more voice options). Help, and thanks!

38. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

Thank you for using our asset!

Unfortunately, I may not fully understand your question - do you just like to use the name of the voice?
    This would would be like that:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void Speak(string speakString)
    2. {
    3.    uid = Speaker.Instance.Speak(speakString, Speaker.Instance.VoiceForName("dfki-poppy"));
    4. }
    It is important that you use the "Speak"-method and not "SpeakNative" - otherwise SALSA won't be able to do the lipsync.

Cheers
    Stefan

39. Anpu23

Anpu23

Thank you that's exactly what I needed. I truly appreciate it.
    Anpu

40. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

If you like our asset/support, please consider leaving a review in the store.
    All the best!

41. Bdelcast

Bdelcast

Question. Would this be a viable/good solution for a potential Console game? IE xbox - ps - switch? Are there ways to embed the speech engine in the package?

42. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

RT-Voice works natively on XBox, but afaik PS4/5 and the Switch have no installed TTS-engine, which means no offline support from our asset.
    Nevertheless, you could still use one of the various supported online solutions, like MaryTTS, AWS Polly, Azure and Google Speech. The only downside is that the devices have to be connected to the Internet to generate the speeches.
    Or you could use RT-Voice to pre-generate all the audio clips inside the Unity Editor and deliver them directly with the game.

Cheers
    Stefan

43. masai2k

masai2k

Hi Stefan,
    I need to convert a project from desktop to WebGL. On the desktop all is ok, but when I convert the project fot WebGL I receive a message:
    'Generate' is not supported under WebGL!
    Then I discover that in VoiceProviderGoogle.cs I can't call the method Generate from WebGL to create the wav from Google TTS.
    But I read that RTVoice is compatible with webGL... so, how can I create the audio from the texst without using the generate method??

Thanks
    Massimo

44. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi Massimo

You still can call the "Speak"-method but "Generate" isn't supported. The main reason is that WebGL doesn't allow to save files on your machine without additional assets like "WebGL Native File Browser":
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/slug/41902?aid=1011lNGT

However, we will try to find a solution for the future, like a second "Generate"-method that returns the bytes of the audio content and you can do with it whatever you like.
    Would that be helpful?

Cheers
    Stefan

45. masai2k

masai2k

Thank you Stefan. I didn't know about WebGL Native File Browser's existence. I'll try to modify the generate method to support it.

Massimo

46. masai2k

masai2k

Hi Stefan, I try to use the Speak method, sending the audioclip directly to the audiosource of Amplitude Component. In editor mode, all is ok and Amplitude with Salsa works perfectly. BUT when I publish for WebGL I can hear the audio generated but the avatar's lips don't move! I suppose the problem is that I send the audioclip in streaming, and the Ampllitude component seems that doesn't work with streaming audio.
    In other threads, I read that RT-Voice is compatible with Salsa AND Amplitude, but I don't understand what kind of parameters I had to modify to obtain some results.

Thanks
    Massimo

47. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Which provider are you using under WebGL? Because you have to use one that actually generates audio clips, like MaryTTS.
    You can also take a look at our Amplitude-integration under "Demos".

48. masai2k

masai2k

I use Google TTS. It generates audioclip because I hear the audio generated, but nothing happens in Amplitude.

49. Sogutng

Sogutng

Hi, I am using the azure demo of rt voice and I have entered the api key, endpoint and url. But there is no voice generated when I select the voices. The warning said " 'VoiceProviderAzure' needs .NET 4.6 or newer to work! " but I have installed the .net developer pack and selected .NET framework in api compatibility level. How can I fix that, I'm using unity 2021.3.9f, thanks.

50. ippdev

ippdev

Hi Stefan. The Salsa package does not say anything about accessing OS X Native Audio. It seems RT-Voice on Mac does not come out of a AudioSource. I have my own script that works dandy if I can get the sound from an AudioSource. What is the trick for that on the Mac desktop?