Search Unity

RT-Voice - Run-time text-to-speech solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stefan-Laubenberger, Jul 10, 2015.

1. jamesstephenbrown

jamesstephenbrown

I'm finding this asset really easy to use. I have only one issue, and that is it doesn't seem to have the capacity to check what the current word is from a script, this would be a useful feature as I would like to have certain words trigger other functions.

Otherwise, if it does have this capacity, please point me in the right direction.

2. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi James

RT-Voice has a callback for words, called "OnSpeakCurrentWord", but it only works under Windows and iOS.
    The other platforms unfortunately don't support the detection of words.

I hope this helps you further.

Cheers
    Stefan

3. jamesstephenbrown

jamesstephenbrown

Thanks Stefan, I found OnSpeakCurrentWord, but I don't see how to "get" the current word as a string - that's all I'm after, is there a way to use OnSpeakCurrentWord to get access to the string being played.

Thanks,
    James

4. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hello again

Please take a look at our demos "03" and "04" to see how it works.
    If you need more details, let me know.

Cheers
    Stefan

5. jamesstephenbrown

jamesstephenbrown

Hi Stefan, sorry about this, I've had a look at the demos and they appear incredibly complex, I am just looking for a code reference that I can put in a script to access when a particular string is being spoken something like...

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (Speaker.currentWord == "foo") {
    2.     Bar(); // do something
    3. }
    Is there some way to do this?

Thanks,
    James

6. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Sure, here is a simple example:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEngine.UI;
    3. using Crosstales.RTVoice;
    5. /// <summary>Simple word detection.</summary>
    6. public class DetectWord : MonoBehaviour
    7. {
    8.     public string Text = "Text with the word foo to detect.";
    10.     #region MonoBehaviour methods
    12.     public void Start()
    13.     {
    14.         Play();
    15.     }
    17.     public void OnEnable()
    18.     {
    19.         Speaker.OnSpeakCurrentWord += speakCurrentWordMethod;
    20.     }
    22.     public void OnDisable()
    23.     {
    24.         Speaker.OnSpeakCurrentWord -= speakCurrentWordMethod;
    25.     }
    27.     #endregion
    30.     #region Public methods
    32.     public void Play()
    33.     {
    34.         Speaker.SpeakNative(Text);
    35.     }
    37.     #endregion
    40.     #region Callback methods
    42.     private void speakCurrentWordMethod(Crosstales.RTVoice.Model.Wrapper wrapper, string[] speechTextArray, int wordIndex)
    43.     {
    44.         Debug.Log("Word spoken: " + speechTextArray[wordIndex]);
    46.         if (speechTextArray[wordIndex].Equals("foo")) {
    47.             Debug.LogWarning("Special word found => do some magic...");
    48.         }
    49.     }
    51.     #endregion
    52. }
    I hope this helps you further, please let me know.

7. jamesstephenbrown

jamesstephenbrown

Thanks Stefan! That's fantastic

8. bhermer

bhermer

Hi, Sorry if this has been answered, I am using the standard version, just bought the upgrade, are there any catches to upgrading, or can I just import over the standard version?

9. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

10. bhermer

bhermer

Hi, I upgraded to Pro, it compiles fine for android, in xcode I am getting a compile error, the crosstales folder is missing, any ideas?

clang: error: no such file or directory: '/Volumes/ESD-USB/IOS_LITE/Libraries/crosstales/RTVoice/Plugins/iOS/RTVoiceIOSBridge.mm'

clang: error: no input files

I can see the file in unit @ rtvoice/wrapper/ios

11. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Thank you for upgrading!

About the error: have you deleted the build directory before building? It seems the Xcode-project references some old references...

12. bhermer

bhermer

That got it, thanks, I always use Append cos of the hassle of resetting everything (this build is locked to 2017.1) but it works now.

Stefan-Laubenberger likes this.
  13. sosdaaan

sosdaaan

hi I have Question!!

I want to change the character to another model. Is there a way?

14. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

What do you mean?

Cheers
    Stefan

15. 3d_Artist1987

3d_Artist1987

Hi,
    Can RTvoice support Arabic?

16. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

It should work as long as you have Arabic voices on your device.

Cheers
    Stefan

17. 3d_Artist1987

3d_Artist1987

Thanks for reply

18. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

@Stefan-Laubenberger Really sad to see the deprecation of the standard version. Apart from it no longer being a dll, are there any actual advantages to the Pro version? I'm guessing the old version will continue working for a little while longer, although I guess integrations with other assets like SALSA will break as they too upgrade their own codebase.

I'm not sure I can currently justify, or afford, to essentially pay for the asset again (it was €37.52 and I'm having to pay the same again for the upgrade). I understand your reasoning, and respect that you need to earn a living, but would you at least reconsider the Dec 2018 cut-off for the upgrade path for current users?

It seems a little harsh to not only deprecate the asset but to also jettison your old customers after just a few months. I'm especially saddened as I've only heard about this today because of coming to the asset store page in order to grab the URL - I was about to recommend the asset to someone, something I'll now find harder to wholeheartedly do.

cybersoft likes this.
  19. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

There are many new things already implemented, like support for AWS Polly and Amplitude. And there is much more in the pipeline, like Azure Speak, IBM Watson and so on.
    Apart from that, the main advantages over the DLL version it's the better integration on all platforms.

RT-Voice has thousands of hours put into it, so the price is imho a real bargain. We announced the deprecation three months ago and want to start 2019 without the DLL versions in the store.

We wanted to offer all our customers the upgrade-path "forever" but Unity has no such functionality in their backend. As soon as you deprecate an asset, the upgrade-path is gone... We left it only in the store to give our customers a chance to upgrade for the reduced price.

I hope you can understand our point of view.

Cheers
    Stefan

20. Rodlyl

Rodlyl

On ios, this code (VoiceProviderIOS.cs):

#if UNITY_IOS || UNITY_EDITOR
    if (wrapperNative != null)
    {
    onSpeakCurrentWord(wrapperNative, speechTextArray, wordIndex);
    wordIndex++;
    }
    #endif

causes this log warning message ocassionally:

Word index is larger than the speech text word count: #/#

Changing the code to the following seems to fix it (it mimics another call to the same method):

onSpeakCurrentWord(wrapperNative, speechTextArray, wordIndex - 1);

21. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

This can happen if RTV can't split the text correctly... If you encounter such a phrase, please send it to me so I can analyze it.
    Thanks!

Cheers
    Stefan

22. cybersoft

cybersoft

I bought (not the PRO) version six months ago and I am a little disappointed because I have to buy a new version now. I wanted this DLL version only for some tests not for production. Shame, If I new that this asset would be depreciated after some months I did not buy it at all.

23. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

I know this isn't popular for the non-PRO users, but finally, we want to deliver the best assets and we also have to put some food on the table...

However, the upgrade path is 30% reduced during Cyberweek Sale - it won't get cheaper than that :)

24. cybersoft

cybersoft

Thank you for your reply but there is something not obvious.

I know there is an upgrade path and for some people that is great but I have to pay more barely after 6 months (only 2 tests made) and I am not sure if I wanted to continue.

This is in my opinion a little unfair and this is not only my voice. You have great products but your policy now is wrong because of time! You only give us 3 months for decision: abandon asset or pay more.

What about people that bought your asset some days before your decision to depreciate it? Are they satisfied?

25. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Look I understand your point, but I hope you also know the "normal procedure" for an asset upgrade: just remove the old version from the store... This way, you would have to pay the full price for PRO.

This means, we are the exception and give our customers the possibility to get PRO for 50% of the PRO-price (and another 30% for the current sale).
    If someone needs and loves our asset, that's something they are willing to pay and if not, the standard version still works with the current Unity versions...

26. jamesstephenbrown

jamesstephenbrown

Hi there,

I've suddenly had an issue pop out of nowhere my console is throwing up an error "Detected code '256', but only PCM..."(pictured) and the voice will no longer speak.

I'm using the voice Veena, is there an issue because I'm building for WebGL?

Thanks,
    James

Attached Files:

27. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi James

I don't recognize the voice Veena... For WebGL, you can only use MaryTTS or AWS Polly as a provider - what are you using?

Cheers
    Stefan

28. NightmarexGR

NightmarexGR

I am not sure how this works, but i want to use it on isolated not connected to the internet windows 7 machine. So can i possibly download anything to have it work fully offline or is it working offline out of the box ?

29. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Yes, there are many voices available for the supported platforms. For more, please see chapter 6 of the documentation:
    https://www.crosstales.com/media/data/assets/rtvoice/RTVoice-doc.pdf

30. helferapp

helferapp

AWS Polly and WebGL

Hi Stefan,
    I'm not sure about RTVoice, WebGL and AWS Polly. Just starting up with Polly first time.

At your documentation I can find:
    2.5.8.AWS Polly
    • Platforms: all except WebGL

At at this forum you write: "For WebGL, you can only use MaryTTS or AWS Polly as a provider".

What is the truth?

I build a new unity program with just your asset.
    At AWS_Demo scene I added my AWS Cognito Credential and all works fine (within unity editor, platform "Standalone").

Then I changed to platform "WebGL":
    After that I'm getting some errors when I run the program inside the editor:

Detected format code '0' , but only PCM and WaveFormatExtensable uncompressed formats are currently supported.
    UnityEngine.Debug:AssertFormat(Boolean, String, Object[])
    Crosstales.RTVoice.Util.WavMaster:ToAudioClip(Byte[], Int32, String) (at Assets/Plugins/crosstales/RTVoice/Scripts/Util/WavMaster.cs:63)
    Crosstales.RTVoice.Provider.<playAudioFile>c__Iterator0:MoveNext() (at Assets/Plugins/crosstales/RTVoice/Scripts/Provider/BaseCustomVoiceProvider.cs:287)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

and

Exception: 115 bit depth is not supported.
    Crosstales.RTVoice.Util.WavMaster.ToAudioClip (System.Byte[] fileBytes, Int32 offsetSamples, System.String name) (at Assets/Plugins/crosstales/RTVoice/Scripts/Util/WavMaster.cs:91)
    Crosstales.RTVoice.Provider.BaseCustomVoiceProvider+<playAudioFile>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () (at Assets/Plugins/crosstales/RTVoice/Scripts/Provider/BaseCustomVoiceProvider.cs:287)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Coroutines.cs:17)

When I compile the WebGL app and run your AWS-Demo in a browser (Chrome), I'm getting

Uncaught RuntimeError: memory access out of bounds

31. helferapp

helferapp

WebGL and MaryTTS

Because I had no success with Polly I tried MaryTTS.
    Success in the Editor: Mary speaks in the Editor, even in WebGL platform.

Compiling and publishing to a website I get the same error: memory access out of bounds

Digging deeper I found the warning:
    The Web Audio autoplay policy will be re-enabled in Chrome 71 (December 2018). Please check that your website is compatible with it. https://goo.gl/7K7WLu
    _JS_Sound_Init @ blob:http://localhost:50935/9ae98360-0464-4d0b-b0f3-301c9bfd91b9:2

Google write there:
    Key Point: If an AudioContext is created prior to the document receiving a user gesture, it will be created in the "suspended" state, and you will need to call resume() after a user gesture is received.

Does RTVoice create AudioContext before the user clicks a button?

32. helferapp

helferapp

RTVoice and
    Web Speech API
    I just read about Web Speech API https://w3c.github.io/speech-api/
    The SpeechSynthesis Interface would be a good solution for WebGL without using AWS Polly or MaryTTS.

Do you think about implementing this as provider in RTVoice?

Best regards
    Stefan

33. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi Stefan

I will take a look at all your posts about AWS Polly and MaryTTS, but it needs more time.
    Meanwhile, please see our demo:
    https://www.crosstales.com/media/data/assets/rtvoice/webgl/

It seems everything works with MaryTTS.

Do you have your own MaryTTS-server or an account from our test-server?

So long,
    The other Stefan :)

34. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

P.S: about Web Speech API - it's only for browsers, so it's not something we currently plan to support, since it's RT-Voices main goal to run on all platforms... But you could implement your own provider if you like ;)

35. helferapp

helferapp

No, I'm just using your demo with your MaryTTS server.

36. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

You have to have your own MaryTTS server or an account on our server. Builds won't work with our demo in the package.

37. unity_pa91M1t9t45VxQ

unity_pa91M1t9t45VxQ

Hi,
    I've just bought Salsa and RT Voice Pro recently and I've been trying to figure out how to input text files in real-time, after building from unity.
    Is it possible for RT Voice Pro to read in .txt files in real-time?
    Thanks.

38. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

Sure, that's possible.
    Simply read your text-files with the UnityWebRequest-class and feed it to RT-Voice.

Cheers
    Stefan

39. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Hi

I would like to know how it works with other languages (Indian languages)? In my game, I have three Buttons (English, Hindi, Gujarati). When the user clicks on the button that changes the language. Can you show a similar thing in some demo?

Best regards,
    Play_edu

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  40. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi Play_edu

You can use our demo scene "01-Speech" as an example.
    However, you have to make sure that the desired voices/languages are available on your system.

Cheers
    Stefan

41. kilik128

kilik128

So about WebGl sound i got no os voice found -tts not possible
    any idea how fix please ?

any chance to see support of Accapela ?

thanjk's

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  42. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

You need your own MaryTTS-server or use AWS Polly for WebGL.
    We offer for testing purposes an account on our own MaryTTS-server - just send me your desired username and the invoice.

About Accapela: this is currently not planned, but we will consider this as as a possible solution in the future.

Cheers
    Stefan

43. sexton_unity

sexton_unity

I bought RT-Voice Pro yesterday to add TTS to a Windows app. Just a simple speak text on a mouse click. I am very disappointed with the several second delay. I tried both Speak and SpeakNative and there was no difference. Definitely not worth $70 because of such poor performance. BTW the demo apps perform the same way.

44. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

I'm sure the performance can't be that awful! There is probably something wrong in the setup.
    Please send me an email and we will figure something out.

So long,
    Stefan

45. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Hi, I've downloaded today's version and I am having a problem with the Playmaker actions in Unity 2018.2.20f1

I can only get the default first voice (Alex) to speak, even though I'm carefully copying the names of my voices...

The voices work in the inspector, but not via Playmaker.

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 9.54.23 PM.png

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  46. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

Hmm, that's strange...

Some questions:
    1. Did it work with the last RTV-version and if so, what was the previous version?
    2. What happens if you only use "Heather" as name?
    3. Does it work with an Mac internal voice, like "Fiona"?

So long,
    Stefan

47. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

1. I have upgraded Unity a few times, and it has been several projects since I last downloaded RT-Voice (not sure, but I have missed a few versions)
    2-3. Even voices that are single words (Fiona) do not play that voice, everything falls back to Alex which is the voice it plays when I've misspelled the name.

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 6.46.17 AM.png

In the screengrab above, I can hear the Fiona voice by clicking on the [SPEAK] button in the RT-Voice inspector, but using the playmaker action I hear the Alex (default, alphabetical) voice. (Suggests an issue with the PM action)

Thank you for your time.

48. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Ok, I found the problem. PlayMaker 1.9.0 stops all threads at startup. This is why RT-Voice displays this message:
    upload_2019-1-15_17-46-0.png

However, the simplest solution is to attach the following script "RTVReload.cs" to an object in the scene.

Please also use the new PlayMaker-package, make sure you're using RTV 2019.1.0 and let me know if if fixes the issue.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

wetcircuit likes this.
  49. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

I upgraded my Playmaker and swapped out the new PM actions. RT-Voice works again! :D

(I also tried the RTVReload script on a GO, but that seemed to prevent the new PM actions from working… maybe I misunderstood how to use it. It worked once I disabled this component.)

:cool: Thank you again for the outstanding support!
    ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Stefan-Laubenberger likes this.
  50. bradbecker

bradbecker

so... just came back to a project using RT-Voice to find out it's been deprecated and there's no upgrade path available to RT-Voice Pro. Am I missing something? A forced paid upgrade is one thing, but not offering an upgrade at all to deprecated customers seems a little bait-and-switch-y. Even a $10 discount would be a friendly gesture.