Search Unity

RT/mixed light, Update Specular Reflections OnEnable and OnDemand...crazy idea?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by RR7, Oct 5, 2020.

1. RR7

RR7

i have scenes where the camera is static and many lights do not need to interact with any objects, they just provide static lighting. the thing is, baked lighting looks bad, no other way to say it.

since i cant bake the realtime light effect, it would seem cool to be able to just update in on demand, this would help with the framerate?

i assume i'm not missing something that already does that....

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

What you are talking about here is baked specular. Unfortunately, the progressive lightmapper does not support it. At one point, Unity did offer this feature. It was later on removed primarily due to usability problems.

For now, we'd suggest that you'd use mixed lights in your scene.

3. RR7

RR7

useful info thanks, but...you are talking about baked specular, I'm talking about the option to have the RT/mixed specular only update on enable or demand so it doesn't hit the framerate, in the absence of said baked specular :)

unless you think it doesn't hit it that hard? using deferred and around 30 lights, in a scene which includes some moving objects that do need mixed mode as they both show lights and receive them (that is to say 8 cars with headlights and around 8 streetlamps, all other lights do not move or interact)

does my idea seem more crazy now?

4. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Ah, I see what you mean now. This would warrant a new feature, and it would be up to the respective SRP teams to implement this (whether it's HDRP and/or URP), as it affects realtime lighting.

Please poke them in the General Graphics forum. You could also submit a bug report explaining your use case. This tends to help when validating new features for the roadmap.

5. RR7

RR7

thanks, i reposted in the hdrp forum, maybe a forum mod will move or merge the threads.