Search Unity

RSP - Relief Shaders Pack on Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Dec 5, 2012.

1. tomaszek

tomaszek

Already downloaded 5.1 release candidate. Will be testing it soon.

Tom

2. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

Do you have any idea when this package will be compatible with Unity 5. I kinda need the shader for a project with the rift. I noticed that bump mapping alone looks terrible in VR.

Will you be able to choose the parallax depth direction? The standard shader has the 0.5 color value as the surface with higher values going up, and lower values going inside respectively. This makes it very hard to accurately bake height information because the minimum/maximum depth distance deviation is completely arbitrary. I'm not sure what the Unity developers were thinking.

I see that you can choose whether color 1 or 0 will be the surface level in your terrain parallax shaders. Will you include similar functionality here?

3. tomaszek

tomaszek

I simply believe that stereoscopy will just work with my parallax occlusion mapping techniques. They produce parallax effect per camera view dir together with proper depth write. I hope UBER will be ready before Unite Amsterdam where I'd like to promote this in my own "sponsor publisher kiosk" Jun 24th

Tom

4. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

I don't want to sound like a dick, but you didn't answer my question.

Will you be able to choose the depth direction? Will bricks extrude from the mesh, or will the cement intrude from the top of the mesh surface?

The Unity 5 standard shader is the worst of both worlds, with the bricks extruding and the cement intruding at the same time.

This is an important consideration when baking height information.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  5. tomaszek

tomaszek

POM techniques makes always inward extrusion. Simply because we can't draw anything "outside the triangle being rendered". Although we can make such impression (like Unity's parallax), but at some angles we'll see something is definitely wrong. So, with my POM - we've got mesh surface which act as "ceil". White heightmap means no extrusion - "ceil" value. Black - bottom, extruded value with controlled depth. Classic displacement (example Unity's) tessellation shaders makes it outward, but I've introduced "balance" value which controls what's the "middle value". Zero means - outward (like default) - 1 means inward. 0.5 means bottom values extruded inward, top values - outward. 0.5 - center value stays where it is.

Tessellation makes proper silhouettes which is big advantage. Border condition and "corners" with POM are always problematic, but are not unresolvable. You'll post more on this soon here.

Anyway - stereoscopy should look fine with my POM shaders. You risk nothing - just go and buy RSP. If you find it crappy, I'll give you refund, but take into account that UBER is MUCH more powerful and flexible than RSP. As UBER is successor of RSP you'll have this upgrade free. I know a person that tested my POM techniques on terrain with oculus and it was "amazing" like he said. The only problem were hovering grass because it's always sticked to the terrain surface while my bumps were extruded inward. In UBER it's not that big problem. With writing depth buffer you can place grass lower and it just can grow out of the bumpy extruded surface.

Tom

6. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

Sounds fantastic. Exactly how I imagined it should work.

You definitely have yourself a customer if you include PBR. I think this might be a very popular asset with the VR dev crowd.

7. tomaszek

tomaszek

Product name "UBER - Standard Shader Ultra", it has strong connection to standard shader. The main part of the connection is lighting pipeline. So - it is PBR by definition, becuase I don't touch lighting, just pumping standard shader with a lot of useful features.

Tom

8. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Great :) Count me in!

9. bluemoon

bluemoon

I'm really looking forward To UBER. I will be picking up a copy as soon as its up on the asset store!

10. tomaszek

tomaszek

It's really close. I'm working on some basic showcase examples now. The problem is I'd like UBER to be ready at Unite where I'm going this year to advertise it This is in 1.5 week from now, so will ask polite AssetStore staff to vet the package before.

I should come up here with new official thread for UBER and this thread will be closed. RSP is discontinued as old package, non PBR U3/U4 only solution while every new project now is started on U5 I believe.

Tom

11. Hotsun

Hotsun

Sorry for the long comment.

I was about to ask about a package or an update for Unity 5 (PBR) but it seems you are working on it right now.
    It could be really nice if you tell me the base of the new shaders are Unity's standard shader.
    For example :
    I got the alloy package (not satisfied at all) it's POM is really nice and we can change the min and max samples per material and it's good for optimization but the smoothness and metallic parameters are not working like standard shader so I can't make a good wet material like this one below(the wet look achieved with standard shader). :
    And another big problem of that is not having feature :

In your version I can put another plane for water too.

I think you had a water flow shader in your other package, please add that feature into the new package too.
    Also more parameters for making different things like magma(with emission) are really appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  12. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

Would it be possible to make a relief parallax decal using the new UBER standard shader? Using Decal System Pro for instance.

13. artzfx

artzfx

Hi Tom,

Can you list what type of shaders you will provide in the UBER versions please? I particularly need the following combo's to display my Substance packs to their full use. Very keen to try the relief properties as my Substances detail are derived primarily from a Height+Normal outputs. I don't need decals in the shaders as my Substances include the ability to add these. Below is an example using shader combo 3 and 4 below that I need to display. Thanks.

1 - Diffuse/Spec/Bump/Height
    2 - Diffuse/Spec/Bump/Height/Self-illum
    3 - Diffuse/Spec/Bump/Height/Cutout/Self-illum
    4 - Transparency/Bump/Height

Win02.jpg
    Win02Closeup.jpg

14. tomaszek

tomaszek

If decal system can use fade transparent shaders then you can simply use UBER with POM for "extruded" bullet holes for example.

UBER is based on Standard Shader but with a lot of additional features built on the op of it, so - your variants are simply basic ones.

Anyway, I'm proud to announce that RSP here is officially closed (available only for limited time - U4 users only that will be able to upgrade to UBER for some good price) and all questions should be all answered here now:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/uber-standard-shader-ultra.335493/

Tom

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  15. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

I actually purchased RSP just to get UBER for free.

16. JonnyHilly

JonnyHilly

do any of the relief shaders work on mobile ?

17. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

Hello tomaszek

Im writing this here since I don't want to derail your UBER thread out of courtesy.

I purchased RSP on June 14 just to get UBER, I am only using Unity 5, and RSP shaders don't work with Unity 5 at all.

I just looked at the upgrade price and it looks like I will be paying slightly more than if I didn't trust you.

It really isn't about the money, I just don't like being deceived. Who does?

I may have simply misunderstood you of course. But I think you were quite clear.

18. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Confirm this, I purchased under this offer too.

19. tomaszek

tomaszek

Currently I setup the upgrade path from RTP to UBER for %50off. So RTP users get UBER at $25. I haven't done it yet on RSP to UBER, because I'm not sure how it would work actually on the AssetStore side. But don't feel cheated. I promised RSP users to get UBER free and I'll do it this way or another. The problem is upgrade price can't be set to 0 :). That's the limitation of how the store works. But I'll try to setup the ooportunity to download UBER from my server after you provide it with valid RSP order number. So, please give me a few days, because I'm currently on Unite Europe. I will also ask Unity how to manage it better way. Maybe it's possible to make 2 upgrade paths. Holding current RTP->UBER for $25 and the same time making new RSP->UBER for $1 and I would expect that always the lower price to be picked in case you've got RTP and RSP bought already.

Kindest Regards, Tom

20. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

That sounds more than fair. I don't think there will be a need to mess around with order numbers if the upgrade price will be that low, in my opinion.

Thank you very much Tom, and please excuse my hastiness.

UBER looks absolutely amazing by the way.

EDIT: By the way. Unity 5.1.1 has only one camera for the default VR solution. I'm not able to notice any stereoscopy, which in turn makes parallax quite useless. I imagine you have more expertise. Are Unity using a single camera with matrix transformations, instead of the dual camera approach that the Oculus plugin used?

I have made a bug report, but have yet to get a reply from Unity.

21. tomaszek

tomaszek

I don't have VR hardware (yet), but will ask friend so we could test it together.

Tom

22. tomaszek

tomaszek

I've digged into oculus forum. It seems integrated VR is broken:

https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?t=24342#p280422

we get the same camera position in shaders for both eyes. They are working on fix. Meantime you can use non integrated VR which I works as far as I know. I'll try to fiddle a bit with UNITY_MATRIX_V. Maybe I can quickly extract cam pos from it. But if this is too expensive (I acess worldspace cam pos many times inshader) we'll probably need to wait for fix from Oculus/Unity.

EDIT: using mul(UNITY_MATRIX_V, float4(0,0,0,1)).xyz seams to give different results comparing to _WorldSpaceCameraPos, so - we wait for the fix.

Tom

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  23. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

Thanks for taking a look.

24. Dolzen

Dolzen

those are cg vert frag shaders?

25. tomaszek

tomaszek

Surface shaders. They are, however, not upgraded to Unity5 and they are not supported anymore. The only reason I keep them is that current RSP users can upgrade to package successor - UBER (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/39959). I can't remove RSP for this reason. If you're realy interested - buy it and get UBER for $1 then.

Tom

26. BigLouis1971

BigLouis1971

I just learned that Uber Shaders are the successors for this shader. May I ask what's the difference between them? Also, should I expect any troubles if I use these Shaders with Unity 5.3?

27. janvetulani3r

janvetulani3r

Hi!
    Is the package https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/5705 fully functional on unity 5.6 and 2017 and on android (using high end devices here, no worries about performance)?
    Does it work with texture wrapping? Or edited normals?

I have this use case where I need to place some parallel pieces of wood on a lobby counter piece, and I need them to wrap around the corners properly.

28. tomaszek

tomaszek

RSP is discontinued in regards to its support. It's only hold in AssetStore for sake of upgrade path for current RSP users that can take the successor product - UBER for $1.

Tom

29. janvetulani3r

janvetulani3r

Thanks, I'll ask my question in the correct forum then! :)