Search Unity

.rsp files settings not propagated to .csproj

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by rtm223, Feb 3, 2021.

1. rtm223

rtm223

I've noticed when setting warnings as errors in my packages, using csc.rsp files, that these settings are respected by Unity, but not by Visual Studio and as far as I can tell this is because the generated .csproj files are not being generated to respect them.

For example, in my rsp file:
    Code (csharp):
    1. -warn:4
    2. -warnaserror+
    3. -warnaserror-:612,618
    If I then create a warning in a csharp file, i.e.
    #warning hello
    this will appear in Visual Studio as a warning but (correctly) as an error in Unity.

Looking at the .csproj file for my project, there's nothing in there that I would expect to see for warnings as errors, i.e. something like:

Code (csharp):
    1.     <TreatWarningsAsErrors>true</TreatWarningsAsErrors>
    2.     <WarningLevel>4</WarningLevel>
    3.     <NoWarn></NoWarn>
    4.     <WarningsAsErrors></WarningsAsErrors>
    5.     <WarningsNotAsErrors>612,618</WarningsNotAsErrors>
    This is true across Unity 2018, 2019 and 2020, so I'm wondering if there is some additional hoop I need to jump through to get warnings as errors in Visual Studio?

bdovaz likes this.
  2. HaraldNielsen

HaraldNielsen

Unity Technologies

We are notifying MS about this :) As I agree that would be the expected behaviour.

rtm223 and bdovaz like this.
  3. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

Hello we added this to our backlog.

As a workaround (and probably now a better way, compared to response files) you can use a `Directory.Build.props` file along your generated projects files. Visual Studio will automatically pick them, and they are not altered by the project re-generation process so it is now the perfect way to enhance project files.

More information here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/msbuild/customize-your-build?view=vs-2019

Thank you and best regards.

bdovaz likes this.
  4. bdovaz

bdovaz

Thank you, I hope you solve it soon.

And about the workaround, without an example I'm afraid I don't understand it very well, my knowledge in that subject is zero.

5. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

Sure, just create a file name Directory.Build.props along with your generated csproj files, with the following content:

<Project>
    <PropertyGroup>
    <TreatWarningsAsErrors>true</TreatWarningsAsErrors>
    <WarningsNotAsErrors>612,618</WarningsNotAsErrors>
    </PropertyGroup>
    </Project>

marllon_helloello, mbaker and bdovaz like this.
  6. fjjoubert

fjjoubert

Is there a way to do this for vs code as well? I tried adding a Directory.Build.props file with the content above to my project in vscode but nothing happens. I am trying to treat warnings as errors in both unity and vscode.