Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RPG/Survival game "Last Stonelord" (ultima8/ultima online style)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by livio3d, Jul 8, 2015.

1. livio3d

livio3d

Hi guys,
    is a lot of time since i post something new, actually i work on a top down rpg old school, real sandbox like ultima online, no class, no exp and levels, only skills to train , crafting and dynamic monster/event generator!
    my plan is to divide the game developing on 3 steps!
    First step is the game focus on singleplayer mode on a starting isle with limited crafting (survival) for train the player , second step full rpg like ultima, lots of crafting, housing, minions ecc and limited co-op multiplayer for guilds , the third steps is focus on develop a city and defend/attack other players cityes on multiplayer (some rts elements)

Update : i post here new video too

my hope is to release the early access on steem greenlight the first develope step and try to launch a kickstarter campaign (or find a sponsor who trust my idea) for take some funds and setup a studio for do multiplayer and more complex things.

sry for bad english :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  2. magnite

magnite

I've never played Ultima before, but what you have shown in the videos looks really good. I think the UI needs a little bit of work, but the gameplay looks pretty smooth. I would be interested in playing this is if it is ever released. I would also be interested in seeing a first-person view mode. ;)

3. livio3d

livio3d

For the ui actually i do a lots of change from what you can see on videos, is just a placeholders ui , for the first person view, with the art style and game mechanics i chose cant work good , specially for the terrain(now i use a voxel engine), soon i do a new videos with the new terrains and survival crafting.

4. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Love it. I suggest check out marvel heroes mmo

5. livio3d

livio3d

I check Marvel heroes but the gameplay is not like what i have on mind, i want a more realistic old school combat, i want to give on enemyes different random behaviors (attack, flee, talking to the attacker, defend only, ecc) , if you attack an animal this run away or attack you based on his brain, monster can pray you for spare his life and become your follower ecc.
    No zerg or Korean/super heroes style attacks :) , but something more realistic with a karma modifier if you kill or spare an enemy on some circumstance ( es killing a domestic animal BAD, killing a surrender monster BAD, killing a Evil Berserker monster GOOD :) , killing animal for hunting neutral).

6. ensiferum888

ensiferum888

That looks really good! I used to play so much of UO as a teenager, lots of great memories there! So far it looks very fluid and I love the hand painted environment. How many players do you imagine per shard/server approximately?

Looking forward to see the housing process for the players! Are you alone working on this? If so how long did it take you to get to that point? Did you make all the assets yourself?

7. livio3d

livio3d

Actually this project is thinked as singleplayer rpg/survival game with co-op mode for guilds and friend on first 2 developing steps, and a rts/siege system for attack other players base with friends or guild members on last step, is not thinked as mmo this why i working alone on it (and i dont have funds for do an mmo), total time i spent on this project is near 3 months full time work, i do all graphics asset alone execpt for some texture and tree/props models and particle i take on asset store for the first prototype steps (4k moba and dungeons props) , as third party code i use voxeland , inventory pro, realisticwater and unistorm, all gameplay code, avatar , skill, stat, house, ai code are mine.
    For September i try to start a kickstarter campaign and try to release the first developed step on steam greenlight for take some funds for pay someone for the networking part or setup a studio.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. sluice

sluice

Impressive! I'm usually not a big fan of cartoonish looking games, but this looks great!

May I ask why you are using a Voxel engine? Are you planning on making the work destructible?

9. livio3d

livio3d

No , i like the final look of the terrain, on next video i release on this month end i show you the first tutorial isle with the new terrain, i really like the old school feel i can reach with a voxel terrain( not cubic word but a more smoothed ones for "simulate" terrain tiles like the old ultima online) , deformable terrain can be a problem with the multiplayer i have in mind.

10. livio3d

livio3d

I want to share some of my art for the game, actual player model, some items, and concepts i start to model tomorrow :)

11. MakingRicardo

MakingRicardo

Really Cool game !

12. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Nice progress. Love the style of the characters and textures.
    Care to share a little insite on the character customization system you created?
    Well done.

Minor critique - the idle breathing cycle on character customization is a little fast.
    Makes him look like he just fought a pack of Bugbears and is breathing heavy.
    :)

13. livio3d

livio3d

theANMATOR2b thanks for the critics, for my character customization .. in fact is pretty simple, i have a customized skeleton with offset bones ( for animation and scaling), and i just save scaling/rotation/position information for all bones i change , for the idle breathing, the video is just 3x the normal speed :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  14. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

you wouldn't happen to have any reference to documentation or a write up about a system like that would you?
    So the child bones reposition based on if the parent bone is scaled along it's local length?
    This has always escaped my knowledge how a system could do this at run-time. (It may require programmer knowledge I don't have - as a straight artist) :)

Thanks for any info or links you can provide.

By the way - what happened to your fighting game? That was looking good and progressing well I thought.

Anyway will look forward to your next update on RPG-Survival game.

15. livio3d

livio3d

sorry but i create this system by myself just looking sims4 and black desert videos, is something related on my Softimage skills ( just bone hierarchy for dont broke animations , you can have bones for animation, offset and scaling separated) , i use scripts only for store data and modify some bone on my avatar system.
    For my figting game , actually is on pause, i work alone on my projects and sometime i need to made money for survive with third-party employee works, is not easy to find works here at my age, i hope to finish this 2 last project first to give up and change life :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  16. livio3d

livio3d

Hi guys, the project is alive for now, i completelly rewrite the inventory system for integrating my stat/skill system and fopr use a json external items DB for easy editing and fit my needs ( first i used inventoryPro ).
    For Financing this project i also start a Patreon page , if you like this project i ask you to share my patreon page, for me can make the difference and pushing forward the developing ( most people ask me for how to do things, on my patreon page i share some of my trick and how to do things with unity , 3d and 2d art for game)
    Take a look ! https://www.patreon.com/Livio3D?ty=h

i also work on new way for making texture for isometric game with 2.5d style (like diablo3), here an example ( 3 texture blended with vertexcolor on a triplanar shader)
    terrain.jpg

theANMATOR2b and Kane C Hart like this.
  17. Kane C Hart

Kane C Hart

This looks sweet. Clearly not even close to being ready yet but damn I just want to run around in circles even in it hahah. I'm really big into MMO's sadly most them past 10-15 years have been really theme parkish.

livio3d likes this.
  18. livio3d

livio3d

new test with blendshape and new human male avatar basemesh

19. GameTechnix

GameTechnix

I played a lot of UO. I loved the open-world sandbox style gameplay. Red vs Blue! :)
    MMO's these days are too rigid with the player rules.

livio3d and theANMATOR2b like this.
  20. livio3d

livio3d

exactly, my target is to recreate the uo gameplay :) (same karma/fame system) with some added taken from modern games.
    some progress on my avatar editor, i really start to love shape , with some modify to my character shader

GameTechnix likes this.
  21. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

This is looking very promising.

22. taistelusopuli

taistelusopuli

Depending how the game does on those various stages/phases you mentioned, I think you should consider MMO eventually :) having all the content that you mentioned, It could be a cool experience.

I too have memories with Ultima Online. It was a fun game, really fun actually :) But man it was years ago... Great looking progress you have here!

23. livio3d

livio3d

mmo is a realistic phase only if i can raise enought fund with kickstarter and finally open my studio, can be the 4 phase, for now i concentrate on a singleplayer and then a limited multiplayer for 32 member guilds with guid wars

taistelusopuli likes this.
  24. Kane C Hart

Kane C Hart

Sounds bad ass :)

25. livio3d

livio3d

some update with the avatar creation ui

taistelusopuli likes this.
  26. livio3d

livio3d

27. livio3d

livio3d

testing the main screen art (all animated, soon i post a video with all the mainscene)

28. livio3d

livio3d

some update on main screen with first ost track

29. livio3d

livio3d

Update, i can show you now the avatar creator and customization section

30. livio3d

livio3d

and Some handpainted models for armour sets

GameTechnix likes this.
  31. livio3d

livio3d

32. livio3d

livio3d

new shot

33. livio3d

livio3d

Hi guys, here my "first" gameplay video after the complete rewrite of the prototype

Ayrik likes this.
  34. livio3d

livio3d

Hi guys, is lot of time i dont post some news here for my game, i post a new gameplay video where i show you how crafting and buildings work ( on low-level carpentry)

and an old combat test video

actually i work on AI for monster and animals, after i done with this step i make a site for the game and i try to greenlight on steam for an early acces!

35. livio3d

livio3d

36. livio3d

livio3d

some AI test

37. livio3d

livio3d

Hi guys, lot of time passet since my last update here, too much things append, anyway the project is alive, i manage to completelly switch from unity 5.6 to 2019 and the urp render engine , pratically i rewriting the game from zero, i post here some of the news , initially from the possibility to swich from top down to third person camera, and new anime shading for characters and npc!

adamgolden, digiross and Ayrik like this.
  38. livio3d

livio3d

Little Update for the new Avatars Anime Style, im really Happy for how they looks now!

adamgolden likes this.
  39. smougie

smougie

Hi Livio3d,

I really like your 2.5D game style from previous concept, I played ultima online a lot when I was younger, Best game ever
    Im curious why did you left the 2.5D concept, can you explain me?

You are making 2D, 3D, textures alone?

I started to learn Unity this year, atm I'm working on 3rd Basic project but projects like yours are really interesting still not on my reach

40. livio3d

livio3d

Actually im rewriting the entire game and making some test, i think to use this new anime stile for a sequel now and stay with the old project setting and graphics with just the universal pipelin adaptation and new map(lots of people tell me they like more the handpainted look), you can try it on steam , for the rest i did all the game exept for the music alone, coding and art and design.

41. smougie

smougie

Wow, you did a lot of Work, I really like your art and I'm looking forward for your progress