Search Unity

RPG scripting idea(?)

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by evertalis, Apr 5, 2010.

1. evertalis

evertalis

First off, let me start by saying hello.

I've just downloaded and installed Unity (indie) -- I've run it and had a quick once over of the interface and scanned through several scripts. I'm guessing that creating an RPG may be quite complex...however, I'm also guessing there's a(or more) generic script(s) that delineates the general player stats etc. that setup the player in their most generic form (ie. health, movement speed, damage dealt/taken) -- if this is corerct, rather than creating entire databases, massive leveling systems or fiddling with engine code, would I be right in thinking that it may be simpler to attach a script to the player that refrences those, so that those stats can be modified InGame by triggers/events (the references, not the actual data)with the same or similar effect? I'm thinking of a similar system to VTM: Bloodlines.

Forgive me if I come across a bit nooby -- the only prior experience with Game Engines I have is Genesis3D, which I played around with for 18+ months before discovering a forum where I could ask things (probably why it's the first thing I'm doing this time round :D), and, a little thing called Reality Factory - so most of what I've learned is self-taught and in my terminology I tend to name things as what I believe them to be rather than what they actually might be in most cases.

btw -- the method I described is how I more or less worked it in Genesis3D.