Search Unity

RPG Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DevionGames, Feb 5, 2013.

1. DevionGames

DevionGames

First of all this kit is not an engine, maybe you can call it "Framework" or "Extension". You can maybe compare Unity3d vs Hero Engine, but not a kit with an engine. This RPG Starter Kit is made for unity3d engine, maybe there are also starter kits for the Hero Engine, i do not know. If there are, you could compare them with this kit. I have played a little bit with the hero engine and i was not happy with it, because it uses a custom programming language, but i have used unity too long to give a neutral opinion about Hero Engine vs Unity, i am sure they were compared several times, just use google.

I am sorry, but i can not realy give you an answer to this question. I hope you checked the documentation and played the demo and so you know what features are implemented at the moment.

2. bblasta

bblasta

The most complete solution out there for a single player RPG.

Could someone explain to me what would be involved in turning a completed RPG made with this kit into an ORPG?

3. DevionGames

DevionGames

There is some work needed, but i plan to add coop(Photon Cloud) mode.

4. DevionGames

DevionGames

I am happy to let you all know, that beside the improvements, there will be a new art pack included!
    In the version 2.0.2, you will fight against this great skeletons and you can use them in your game. Of course the mount feature is also integrated with this character!

Thanks Mr. Necturus for the realy awesome characters.

The price will raise again. Next update will be in a few days.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  5. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

o_O awesome!!

6. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

Very nice, was already seriously considering buying the Skeleton characters by Mr Necturus so this became the tipping point and have now bought the kit. Looking forward to trying it out and from PM's exchanged with Zerano definitely pleased with my decision as I had been reluctant to buy in the past purely on cost and not looking at what came with the kit.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  7. rcollette

rcollette

Is this a free update for those who already own the Starter Kit? Or is there an upgrade fee?

8. DevionGames

DevionGames

Do you mean my first rpg starter kit? If yes, yes there is a "fee", it is a full rewrite of my first kit, i have not used any code of it in this kit. You can pay the diffrence so the price for this kit is currently 140$ - 30$ = 110$ if you own my first kit.

If you already bought this kit, this will be a free update.

9. Lioki

Lioki

In the melee combat your framework provides is there an option for a block mechanic? An example such as pressing the right mouse button would cause the player to initiate a blocking animation (provided that animation existed on the model) and reduce or negate damage taken.

10. DevionGames

DevionGames

No this is currently not possible, but not hard to implement.

11. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I would like to see the feature that i can let the player choose from some premade characters wich one he want to play.

Also i would like a guard or protect AI state so a npc will not walk away from i.e. a tresure or a person he wants to protect.
    Then i would like that the patrol AI state go back to his waypoints he started from when the player is out of his target area.

And i hope to see a mobile/ios gui and control system in the not so far future.

I will buy your kit now if it works from mobile :eek:)

12. DevionGames

DevionGames

13. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Very nice.

14. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

I was looking it over and I think it could use a minimap next.

15. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thank you very much, it seems like this kit is coming very nice, i had never before such visit numbers on my site(today i had more then 2500 visits).

16. pha

pha

Would be really great if this is available for mobile. Great job my friend.

17. Dinrae

Dinrae

Hi,

First, nice work with last update!
    Took the Week-End to explore it, it is a very nice improvement, but i have found some major bugs in this version, i hope they will be adressed in next updates. Improving your kit with new options is cool, but fixing existing contents or not removing old content is very important (Well, at least it is for me ...).

Combat
    Evade: Evade (double tap to evade) is missing in this update, did you forgot to add it, or do you removed it? Because it was one of the features that made me buy your kit...
    First hit bug: Sometimes, especially when non targetting an enemy, first hit don't hit the enemy.
    Default Movement Option: When choosing default movement option, clicking on ground should not rotate the player position (It is not a click to move).

Mount
    Mount Depop: After a few seconds, mount depop, when looking at the "horse skill" i don't see any depop option. When player is on mount, skill should be greyed (loaded), when if player click again on the skill, mount will depop, and skill will start to reload.
    Mount Rotation: When on mount, if click on ground, the player on mount will rotate, when the player and the mount should rotate.

UI
    Container: Hovering item should show stats window (like in inventory).
    Shop: Hovering item should show stats window (like in inventory).
    UI Window Shorcut: There should be an option to allow us to assign a keyboard shortcut to a window UI, for example pressing "I" open inventory, pressing "S" open Skills, ...
    Inventory Slot "Offhand": There should be a slot for offhand weapon, i know we can edit your code to add our inventory slots, but this is really missing as basic feature, it's a very common feature to most people.
    Message "Inventory full": Add a message when inventory is full.
    ESC close windows: Pressing "ESC" should close UI windows, for example, if i open option window, choose "Mouse", i am stuck with a window in middle of my screen.
    I know, i can just just press "ALT" to release mouse, but anyway ... "ESC" should by default close windows.
    Window Movement bug: If i click on my character in inventory window, my character start to move ... same if i click next to my money. It's the same thing with all windows, if i click somewhere on window, it shouldn't trigger character movement.
    Item Stats Comparison: In inventory, when hovering an item, equiped item and hovered item stats should be compared (If i remember, this option was present at some time in your kit).
    Example: http://www.angrydwarfs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/stat_comparison.jpg
    Inventory Windows Arrows: Clicking on arrows in inventory windows should rotate the character.
    Skillbar Hold/Swap: Clicking and holding a skill should work like items in inventory, this way, holding a skill out the bar would clean the skillbar slot, and would allow to easily swap skills.

Character Controller
    Actually, your character controller is a mix of lots of stuff, mixing skyrim/guild wars/diablo controller type ... which can be very confusing! I will speak only about third person controller (Guild Wars type), as it was by default how was done your kit.
    Default Movement: When using Default Movement, if player is moving, holding right click should not rotate the camera around the player, but move the character left/right.
    Example: See Guild Wars 2 and other third person RPG game.
    Mouse Left Click: When using Default Movement, Mouse Left Click shouldn't trigger first skill, it cause too many uncoherent bugs (For example, if i click far away, character will attack and stay where it is) and force to add a "disable attack on click" script to lots of prefab.
    Mouse Left Click should be used to ... only select things and rotate the camera, and leave skills to key 1, 2, 3 ...
    Example: See Guild Wars 2 and other third person RPG game.

Tutorial
    You should update your tutorial, some stuffs changed, like player manager, the way to edit/add skills ...

Question
    The way you show in-game message is maybe nice but i would prefer to have them showing in an old chat box, do you plan to leave message system this way, or do you play to have them showing in a chat box?

(My) Conclusion
    Evade is really missing, and whole combat system, especialy melee, need an overhaul, as it is the core feature of an RPG. Right now, it is not natural to fight monsters, Talent system is well designed, but give more advantage to magic talents than melee talents, when you try to play as melee, you fight alot against the system mechanic to hit an enemy.
    The Death System, added to the checkoint system is nice change, nowdays, no one like to ghost walk to a rez stone.
    Thanks again for your awesome work, and hope you will hear request/bug and fix them!

A_Random_French_Guy whom believe in german perfectionism awesomeness.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  18. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thank you very much for the feedback and bug reports!
    Sometimes if you play it again and again, you simply do not see, what is wrong.

I will go over all your points and fix them.

Thanks again!

19. DevionGames

DevionGames

We are creating a game with this kit, you can check it out on Steam Greenlight Please vote and comment to support our project.

20. DevionGames

DevionGames

Version 2.0.2a is out. Check the changelog.

21. DevionGames

DevionGames

A new Demo is up!

Here is the Standalone version.

(In this demo, there is an npc that casts at you, i have simply reused the player talents and added a Talent State to the enemy. This will be in the next update.)

Edit: How the horse talent works: The horse depop after a delay(customizable), it also depop if you dismount and you need to cast it again. I think i will do the depop only after a delay, so you can dismount and the horse will follow you and you can mount up again. There will be also another horse, that you can buy in a shop or so and that will not depop and is reusable all the time.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  22. Dinrae

Dinrae

Nice work on quick bug fix (Even if there are still a lots to do!).
    I was about to ask if in the next updates, it would be possible for NPC to cast talents, looks like you had the same idea :)
    I cannot wait to test it out, and have goblin casting goblins fire spells, totems, ...!

Also, would it be possible to be able to setup keys using unity input manager (For ESC, Q, T, ...), because if you have an AZERTY keyboard like me ... :p

23. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thank you, yes i know there is a lot of work :D

I just added the aoe attacks to the npcs. It is currently not in the demo, but i will update it soon.

I will see what i can do :D

The next update will also contain a new art update. I will include this pack: RATKINS ARMY

The price will go up again with the next update!

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  24. hcwork

hcwork

I really think something great for the next update would be default attacks based on the weapon you are carrying. So, if you have a bow, your default attack is shoot bow, one handed weapon, two handed weapon, etc...Right now, you have one default attack and its the same no matter what weapon you have

25. DevionGames

DevionGames

Yes as we spoke about it in skype, i will implement it, but thanks for fixing it here so i do not forget it :D

Edit: It is done and will be in the next update.

26. Dinrae

Dinrae

If this skill is a talent/skill, why not ... but i would prefer another way to do it, aka, restrict a talent/skill to a weapon wield by the player, because Zerano kit is based on Talent/Skill system.
    This way, you could have a talent "Basic Attack" restricted to all weapons and doing a basic attack (Like you suggested), or "Slash" restricted to swords, axes, or "Magic Missile" restricted to staves... and let the player decide what talents/skills they want to use.
    Why hardcode a default attack to use all weapon when you could define what type is a weapon (Slash, Pierce, Blunt, Magic, None ...) and let a skill cast if the correct weapon is wielded :p (Well i know the answer, it's less work for Zerano~).

27. DevionGames

DevionGames

It was not a big deal and i have added it as option, so you do not need to use it if you do not want it.

Edit: Hmm if i understand you correct, i have done it the way you suggested. I have added a script OverrideTalent.cs so you can attach that script on the weapon and set the talent in the inspector. So if you want all swords to have one talent just attach that talent, if you want all staffs to have another talent--> attach it :D

If you mean something diffrent, then i did not understand you, and it would be great if you could explain in other words.

28. Dinrae

Dinrae

What i am suggesting is something similar to the "character class" in item editor (Which should be also added in talent editor btw!).
    Right now, your kit allow to cast a talent whatever weapons is wielded, there are no class, wielded weapon check on talent cast.
    For example, if someone wants to create a Paladin Class, with a talent "Shield Block", this talent will be clickable/useable even if the player is not wielding a shield, ... there should be a way in your kit editors to edit this.

In item editor, you could add "Weapon Type", with selection of "2HBlunt, 2HSlash, 1HBlunt, 1HPiercing, 1HSlash, Shield, Magic, ..." it would define what type a weapon is.
    In the talent editor, you could add "Weapon Restriction", and choose to what type of weapon, a talent is restricted.
    For example, if someone want to create a default basic attack for all weapons in it's game, it create a talent like the default one you added in your rpg kit example, and check all "Weapon Restriction" in talent editor. Or if someone want to create talents used only with a shield, it'll check "Shield" in "Weapon Restrction" and will check "Weapon Type > Shield" in "Item editor". If the player have "Shield Block" in it's talent bar, and is not wielding a shield, "Shield Block" will be greyed, unclickable.

This system would allow more customisation in item/class/talent system if someone wants to

PS: When i want to open item editor, and i choose to open a file, select an item to edit, i got an error (I have Unity 4.1.2).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  29. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thanks, fixed, i will make an update as soon as possible.

30. jonkuze

jonkuze

hey there Zerano! I have not been following the progress so far, but i'm sure you are doing being well with this asset, and im sure lots of people are enjoying it as well. I have yet to purchase it lol, as I have not come up with a need for an RPG Asset, maybe in near future i'll get some idea and use of this.

anyhow, just a quick thought... i think it would be good if you had different price options, such as a price for the asset without character models, or a price with asset with character mode packs... I honestly don't think it's fair that you would force someone to pay more for your RPG Kit just because you added more Character's Packs to it... What if someone does not want to use the Characters that you are selling with the Kit?

Just a thought, that could help sales maybe... because i know for sure that if i notice i have to pay extra for sooo many included characters in your asset, i may not want to buy it because i have no use for those characters, i will be using my own. Just an example....

other than that, keep up the great work. ;)

31. DevionGames

DevionGames

Well i would not change the price even if the characters are not included, simply see them as an extra bonus. If you can get a better deal, you should do it. This is a normal behaviour, if i can get a better product for a better price i would of course go with it.

But thanks for your feedback!

Edit:Some had the feeling that the price will go up, because of the new art pack. This is not true in version 2.0.3 i plan Multiplayer Support.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  32. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Multiplayer will make this kit worth a lot more. I had thought it would come later so its a bonus for us all. Please explain the miltiplayer so we all understand if its mmo type or coop type.
    I am sure more people will like to plan on how to use it by this information.

This kit is moving pretty fast.

33. Hans

Hans

nice work , any chance in the next update you can add First Person Please?

Thanks

34. DevionGames

DevionGames

It will be more like a coop mode, you will be able to create a game room and enter it. I am using photon cloud, so it is definitly not a mmo, i am using a master client instead of the the server logic. This master client handles the ai and sends the desicions to other players. The creator of the room becomes master client and if he logs out or leaves the room, the master client swiches to anoher player.

I will see what i can do.

35. Hans

Hans

Thanks, also is the new doc's uploaded yet?

36. DevionGames

DevionGames

No sorry, i am waiting before i implement the networking stuff, because it will change a little bit, so i do not need to make it twice.

37. DevionGames

DevionGames

New demo with multiplayer mode is up!

Making a quest in the new demo will give you a 50% discount code for a short period of time, so don't miss it :D

Edit: The project is updated! Changelog

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  38. DevionGames

DevionGames

I wanted to let you know, that i am working on the new documentation, so the site could be a little bit messy in the next few days. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Also the quest with the discount is running until the 1 May. Thank you very much who already used it!

39. radnetro

radnetro

Omg this is one of the best Asset on Unity3D, I would like to buy a copy but there are couple of things I would like to know first.

Is the UI highly customizable? can I redesign it not just the texture but completely overhaul it?
    The game I want to develop is using a 2D character(like ragnarok) in 3D environment. Is it possible to use the 2D character to your asset, including character animation?
    Is this already include a battle system/attack system? cause I'm planning to make a turnbased style game like Final Fantasy 7, but using your asset would speed up my game development.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  40. RobertoGD

RobertoGD

Nice kit.
    I go and check where is copupon n the demo ;)

41. DevionGames

DevionGames

Hello and thank you very much for your interest!

The UI is full customizable, using the NGUI plugin, you can create your own atlas from scratch. The kit showcases the ui with the paid NGUI solution but you will get the free watermarked one. It is working mostly the same and you can upgrade any time.

There is no diffrence in unity from a 2D / 3D character they are still a "transform", however you would have maybe to change the Movement/Camera script a little bit.

Yes it includes a battle/attack system. however it is not a turnbased style. I think a few changes would be needed to convert it.

You should try the demo and read the documentation and see if it fits.

Maybe check out also my Youtube channel for the videos i made to showcase the kit.

regards zerano

42. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thank you!

43. radnetro

radnetro

I visit the Documentation link, I don't see the documentation?

44. DevionGames

DevionGames

Simply go with the mouse over the drop down menus like in this picture:

45. Jum

Jum

I am trying to play the demo but each time i try to do the quest i faced with a bug. Sometimes the caster stucks while casting spells. The other character cant use swords blablabla. So cant i buy the kit for 100 dollars without the promotion code ?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  46. DevionGames

DevionGames

I sended you a pm!

What do you mean by he stucks, i would love to fix any bug you are facing! If a character can not wear an equipment, it is not a bug it is a feature that i have added. You can define in the editor which character class can wear the item. If you do not want for example that a mage can wear a sword you can exclude it.

47. Jum

Jum

Hey noooo! dont get me wrong. There can be a bug or bugs. There is no problem. Of couse you will fix them. The casting bug is the caster character is stucked near the wall when i was trying to cast. If it happens again i may capture a video and send it to you. Thanks for this kit.

48. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thank you very much for your purchase!

49. DevionGames

DevionGames

The discount quest ends today! Take your chance :D

50. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Now I see why I have so few sells. It becouse Kit of Zerano with my models cost much less then my models.

And ss I can see some people buying this kit mostly for my characters This is really crap.

Of course Zerano will not get any of my new assets any more. It was my mistake, and I am sorry.

Last edited: May 2, 2013