Search Unity

RPG Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DevionGames, Feb 5, 2013.

1. anonymousgroup

anonymousgroup

Just a suggestion. Should not use arrays to pull the animations in this way else errors can occur if someone is using custom animations including Mixamo packs applied to a separate model. Using AnimationClip variables would be better, and universal for any model. This way only supports the animations imported within the model.
    Good programming otherwise, good job brother.

2. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thank you for the suggestion, i am going to add a warning for this. No it does not support only animations imported within the model. If you are using animations from other model (i am doing it myself, because the included character models in my kit have the same rig but each has diffrent animations), you need to drag and drop the model into the scene and add your AnimationClips to the Animation component.
    Well this is not the best way so i am also going to add a functionality that will do it for you, howerver you will still need to drag and drop the AnimationClip to an editor field or select the clip somehow :) .

(As far as i know you still need to make what i described to play the animation, if you do not add the AnimationClip to the Animation component, it will give you an error?! It is not realy kit specific. AnimationPopUp just grabs the AnimationClips in the Animation component so you do not need to look for the right AnimationClip through your project, it is not realy more behind it. )

I have changed it to an "AnimationPopUp" also because of request, but i think it is pretty good how it is right now, just need to automate the process described above a little bit.

3. rickcollette

rickcollette

is the current version still 2.0.7?

4. Java

Java

Is it possible to turn this into a MMO? Or will that require major reconstruction?

5. DevionGames

DevionGames

No the current version is 2.0.8, you can always check the changelog.

As i wrote on the previous page:

This kit has Multiplayer functionality, but with photon cloud. The first player who creates the room is master client and handles most stuff, like ai...
    If the master client logs out, a new player becomes master client. However player stats, talents and other things are handled by the client, so the server is not authoritive. I do not want to call it MMO because it can not handle thousands of players, but multiplayer with 15-20 players/ room.

Changing it to MMO you would need to move to Photon Standalone and move most code to the server and also create some kind of interest area. If you do not need an authoritive server it would be less work.

6. rickcollette

rickcollette

Since I didn't buy this from the asset store; how do I get my updates? I checked the zencart (I bought this prior to your move to a new shopping cart), and I didn't see an obvious place to download it. Sorry if I am necro'ing an old questions.. I did some searching; but Im only on coffee #2 :)

7. DevionGames

DevionGames

Well, you can just login on the zencart page and download it, it has the latest version or you can also have svn access, just pm me with your paypal transaction code a wish username and password and i will add you to the svn system.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  8. DevionGames

DevionGames

9. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Wow gratz. I can see many more using your kit cumming out soon.

10. nixter

nixter

11. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

I had the same thought but I am also very bad at using NGUI. But still before a kickstarter you would think they might change it. Their game does look great though.

12. nixter

nixter

13. Tethys

Tethys

Nah it wasn't lazy, this is just how development goes (we do have published titles). We spent all the time on the prototype doing all that stuff you see in the game that no one else is doing or can afford to make, like the awesome smooth voxel terrain system, unique character art, concept arts, etc.. All in due time. There actually isn't one default UI element in here from the package except for the gear - they have all been modified in some way or completely replaced, and that's just the quick rough skin - we will be doing a more detailed complete UI overhaul when it becomes relevant to the production schedule. Take another look with a more detailed eye and you will see it (we didn't even use any of the icons that come with Zerano pack for powers and skills) - even if they are subtle changes, we did do an initial round of quick and dirty customization before showing it off. The point is to get stuff made, not spend all your time sweating the little stuff and taking forever to get something in front of people. You focus on the big things that have the most impact first. :) You also have to remember, as other developers pointed out, most gamers don't shop Indie game dev asset places. For many, it's the first time seeing this stuff so its really a moot point. Thanks for wishing us luck, much appreciated!

14. DevionGames

DevionGames

I also think there are other places to put the money in, instead of the ui on the first place as there is a default ui, why should someone spend 1500$+ to make ui, especialy for an unfunded game at the moment.

15. Tethys

Tethys

Bingo my friend, you hit the nail on the head. :) This is the constant struggle of being an Indie studio. :)

16. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Wow but that's our company name now not the game name. We changed it to Bionic Marine Command.
    http://bionicmarinecommand.com/

We are working on a much simpler mobile version before we go for another kickstarter.

And yes the default ui was not bad anyway. Paying for things like custom features and servers would have been better use of money at this point.

17. anonymousgroup

anonymousgroup

Since there are those having trouble with this and I already had this tutorial prepared for some friends last month.

Creating your own Character Profession Icons in three minutes:
    $rpg_help2.jpg

If your icons switch back and forth when selecting them, number them in order you want them to appear from left to right, i.e. 1Barbarian 2Wizard 3OrcWarrior 4OrcShaman

My good deed for the month is now complete...

Attached Files:

18. Tethys

Tethys

Oh nice, gratitude for the contribution!

19. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thank you very much for the contribution!

20. Charl Marais

Charl Marais

Hi Zerano

Not sure if this question has been asked before, but I can find this kit on the Asset store. Is it only purchasable via your site?

Kind Regards
    Charl Marais

21. nixter

nixter

It's not available on the Asset store.

22. Nosferatu

Nosferatu

Just thought I would pipe in. The new Photon supports Windows Store apps and WP8. You can get the Zerano project Windows Store ready in 30 seconds by updating Photon, then adding this to the head of the RuntimePlayer.cs
    Code (csharp):
    1. using Hashtable = ExitGames.Client.Photon.Hashtable;
    Photon uses new HashTables and installs a Metro and WP8 .dll in Plugins/

23. Wystgun

Wystgun

Hey guys , nice work with this awesome package
    just I have a little problem with the PlayeLauncher script , when I put it into my player/character I got an error " NulReference Exception "

24. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Very surprised to see Astral Terra getting a tiny bit of flak for using a little bit of the RPG kit's assets. But hey, at least this is more advertising for their product :)

I know I definitely didn't recognize the UI elements (but I don't use the RPG kit myself atm anyway). I simply thought it looked nice when I saw the kickstart. I just wish they choose to wait til post-christmas to launch their campaign. Game looks very lush though.

Question: Does RPG Kit use NGUI? These ui elements look quite good. Need to read up more on this product

[edit]Ah I just read it uses NGUI, cool

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  25. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

@Tethys I wanted to say good job but I thought it would be best to say it by backing you guys. I just pledged on kickstarter.

26. nixter

nixter

Once a week, I visit kicktraq and view every single game project uploaded to Kickstarter. As a game developer, I feel it is important to keep an eye on both new ideas and successful campaigns. Occasionally, I even contribute to a project.

When viewing video game projects, I try to identify the engine they used. RPG Maker games are easy. Unreal Engine a little less so, but still easy to spot. With Unity, it's usually the default terrain and trees that give it away though 2D games have neither of those so they are much trickier. Having established a game was made in Unity, I'll look for 3D assets and GUIs that I recognize from the asset store.

Sometimes it's easy. Here's a few:
    ORK RPG Kit - Notice the ORK1 GUI
    Multiplayer Kit – Notice how they are still using the wizard model for the PC
    Smooth Moves – Just guessing here, but I'm pretty sure Smooth Moves was used for the bone Animation

In the case of Astral Terra, it was really easy. It was like, “come on guys, that is not even a challenge.”

But the truth is, it doesn't matter. Look at their Greenlight page comments. 180+ comments and not one pointing out that it looks like any previously released game. The general public will not bat an eye at their game. It's only another Unity user that would spot such a thing.

I called it lazy because when it comes time for me to present my game publicly, I wouldn't make the same choice. Product identity is very important to me and I'd rather have a low-quality home-made GUI than us the default one that comes with a kit. But, that's my priority and they have theirs. I'm sure there are corners I will cut in my game that they will spend lots of loving care on.

There are gamedevs who would call using any kit or even Unity itself “lazy”. Real programmers write their own engines in C++, right?

Anyways, I apologize for creating any hubbub. Lets wish them success and move on from that comment.

27. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

point taken. But also just because they use the assets (GUI or Models ect..) for a demo or kickstarter does not indicate that they will use it in the release. And even if they do just like you said the general public does not care as long as you give them a fun game. Take a look at some of the games made by bigger names using unity. One of us could always find some asset store or kit asset in it.

I think a mix of our own assets and off the shelf is more than ok making games. But yes as you have said it's this dev community that looks down on this not the public.

28. nixter

nixter

This is what I was trying to get across: That I shouldn't have thrown a stone since my house is also made of lots of glass.

29. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

LOL we all live in those houses. But your input has been helpful many more times than I can count.

The cool thing I see happening here is this kit is being used more and many more unity games are nearing release. Debates as long as they are done with a fair and informative manner are how we learn.

I was happy to see a game further along than ours that looks that good. It's what keeps us going. And its also good to see more of us not jumping aboard the mmo train like the rest. Multiplayer RPG's can be done well and be very fun to play. I think it's a much overlooked genre.

I really want to see Tethys game get funded so I can play it and also so we all see what a good finished game looks like made with this kit.

30. Tethys

Tethys

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the encouraging words. :) Personally, as an art director and a UI guy, I cannot wait to spend more time doing cool stuff and making things look great instead of spending so much time trying to get things working. :p That will come with having another programmer on the project for 20+ hours a week to free me up to do things things I'm good at.

@dreamlarp - Thanks so much, super appreciated! Also, well done on the new logo - it is an improvement IMO. We will be there to support Space Dwarves when it's time!

31. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Thank you. We replanned a lot. I must say that I love that you added voxel to this kit. You must write a tutorial or film one some day.
    Our game will be quite a while in the making. But it great to see a project like your using this kit. I never played minecraft just read a lot about it.

I look forward to playing yours. Messing around and changing the world sounds fun.

32. Lition

Lition

I use the lite ver. But I have my own camera and click to move scripts, so if I wanna use my own scripts, what do I have to do so there wont appear any complication and errors, I mean is there any scripts linked to the camera and controller? I still want to use the talent system and all tho... So what are my possibilities, Im a 3D artist so I wont change any scripts to much.

33. DevionGames

DevionGames

You need to play arround with the ThirdPersonMovement.cs and PlayerCamera.cs. You can change them to your needs.

34. Lition

Lition

Ah I see, just take a while to get everything under control I think, but the greatest kit Ive seen so far and very easy to use!

35. WitchKing

WitchKing

Hi guys,

I'm in the midst of evaluating some of the various RPG kits there are for Unity with regards to doing a grid-based turn-based strategy game, sort of an X-Com/ Final Fantasy Tactics/Card Hunter/Rad Soldiers type game. I just wondered if this kit might be useful for something like, that? I've seen the turn-based FF type turn-based games done with it, but no grid-based set-ups. Has anyone had any experience with that sort of thing and if this toolset would be of any use?

36. tales

tales

How far is the multiplayer part advanced? Do i have to implement this myself and or is this addressed in the current code?

Is anybody here looking for a collab? I'm the guy with a vision and design.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  37. DevionGames

DevionGames

I would say there is some work needed to be done for a turn based game made with this. This is not implemented in this version and i am currently do not have plans to make it turn based. If you get the turn based part done, there is not much work left todo it grid based.

Well the kit is already made for multiplayer games with max players of 15-20 with the photon cloud.

38. tales

tales

WOuld it be possible to have more people in lobbies, and then create rooms with 5 players or is the max 20 players for the entire server? ANd if so, how hard would it be to extent from there? Thanks, really considering to start with your Kit! Cheers

39. Lition

Lition

I have problem with ui interface, I took the interface prefab and and made some adjustment to the healthbars, positioning and grafics, but everytime I startup it just show the old interface, even when I applied the new one and the old one is nowhere to be found, so where do I really save the new interface? in scripts, or prefab or where do I need to click a save button? There must be an easier solution for this :p

40. DevionGames

DevionGames

Yes, there can be a lot of people in the lobby, but i would say the entire game can not handle more then 20 players with much ai. If you have only a few enemies then this would be possible too. So the lobby does not cut down the players count.

Yes, you need to load the Preload scene and change the ui there. The ui interface is for every scene and is not inttantiated but located in the preload scene, maybe i should remove it from the prefabs to not irritate.

41. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

After sign in maybe you could have a lobby that will start a new game if all the games are full. It would show all the games running and how many are in them.

42. DevionGames

DevionGames

This is already implemented this way.

43. DevionGames

DevionGames

I just updated the svn so it works on unity 4.3
    Store update will come also soon.

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

45. Jum

Jum

Hello Zerano,
    I am trying to setup a new scene from zero. Now i created a terrain then created a empty object. Attached pathfindinggrid script scanned the terrain for navigation mesh. I added some obstacles. Everything looks ok. I added a spawn point with skeleton_footman in it. Now when i start the game with my test scene i get this error in the console:
    ""SetDestination" can only be called on an active agent that has been placed on a NavMesh.
    UnityEngine.NavMeshAgent:SetDestination(Vector3)
    AiBehaviour:MoveAgent(Vector3, Single, Single) (at Assets/RPG 2.0/Scripts/Ai/AiBehaviour.cs:279)"
    Also this one

"Stop" can only be called on an active agent that has been placed on a NavMesh.
    UnityEngine.NavMeshAgent:Stop()
    AiBehaviour:StopAgent() (at Assets/RPG 2.0/Scripts/Ai/AiBehaviour.cs:293)
    IdleState:HandleState(AiBehaviour) (at Assets/RPG 2.0/Scripts/Ai/States/IdleState.cs:12)
    What am i doing wrong?. Also if you have time could you record a making of video from start to end of your level 1 and level 2 scenes with the new UI. Because some tutorial videos uses older UI (inspector scripts). Thanks

46. DevionGames

DevionGames

If you use the custom pathfinding please remove the NavMeshAgent component, if you want to use unity pathfinding, you need to build the navmesh.
    Here is the link on how to build the unity navmesh.

47. DevionGames

DevionGames

Yes, but i would realy like to finish the new ai system with mecanim support before i make tutorials and then need to
    redo them again hehe. With the new update there will be some more big changes.

Yes it looks like mecanim and it works like mecanim, so if you have experience with mecanim, the new ai system will be no problem for you!

48. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Looks amazing. I cant wait.

49. Jum

Jum

Thanks for the reply i have solved the issue. Also its very interesting please publish it asap :D

50. Hans

Hans

Nice work
    Are you going to add this to the RPG Kit 2.0?