Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RPG Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DevionGames, Feb 5, 2013.

1. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

has anyone else had the error when creating a new crafting table the list don't show I made the list and added it correctly and when click it responds right eg need item/too far etc but it wont show the menu.
    An example item is make Iron you need 1 iron ore (renamed version of ore/rock)
    The crafting list that comes with the kit works fine
    Is it a list thing or an item thing or the tool being clicked that has an error?
    Anyone know the fix to this?

Edit: it seems to be happening when more than 1 crafting table is in the scene anyone else had this issue or know a fix (i know the developer on holiday for next month)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. Tethys

Tethys

Do you have the tool needed to use the anvil equipped (hammer by default based on the demo scene)? Just wanted to start at the basics first. ;)

3. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Yep when im out range gives error (normal)
    Wrong tool/no tool error (normal)
    right tool and blank
    Like i put in edit it seems be when i have more then one in scene eg forge (for smelting) and anvil (for making weapons)
    one crafting bench in scene=fine
    2= none work

4. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

I would like to know if anyone would be willing to help with some user made tutorials for this kit. If you know how to use a feature well please send me a PM.

5. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

Hey,
    I am just thinking about to buy your kit but i have one question left. I just watched your video about how to turn a tree into a collectable resource -> http://youtu.be/yFOkGDWlGyw

My ideal system would be, that the tree is falling into peaces or whatever if he has no wood or resources to loot anymore. I saw that there is a checkbox that says something with destroy if empty but i think that just mean, that you can not farm the tree anymore if he is empty for the first time but the tree is still there, right?

So, Is it possible with this kit to destroy the whole tree when he is some kind of empty?

Edit: i just found out that it works like that: http://youtu.be/MA3JhYHbY9o
    But the stone here just disapear, thats not so beautiful :/
    Is there a better solution?

6. Tethys

Tethys

Yes you have this correct, check the box and when the resource is empty it will remove itself from the environment. Zerano provides the core functionality, I do believe it is up to us to make it pretty and behave like a finished game. My 2 cents anyway. You could certainly make this more interesting yourself by extending what happens on de-spawn (for example tell it to spawn a particle system or a broken up version of the tree that then disappears after 5 seconds, as well as fire a sound effect that you link to from the gameobject). You could create public variables for a sound and a gameobject, edit the script to fire off these events, and then use the script everywhere in your game and customize it on a case by case basis. For my game, I have a script that listens for the tree being removed. When that happens, it activates other scripts on the gameobject that turn on a sound and gravity for the gameobject. Unity Steer has some examples of this and is free in the asset store, fyi.

7. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Got another issue where it doesn't load the player in multiplayer in my scene
    I tested it with the kits default level 1,2+3 they work but i try load my level and sounds play interface loads etc but no player anyone know whats wrong or if im missing something in my scene
    Also sometimes in single player my player randomly falls through terrain any ideas why?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  8. Tethys

Tethys

Regarding your missing character in your scene issue - have you placed a player spawnpoint in your new scene?

9. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

yep and i modified code exactly like in the tutorial for the map system

does the levels need anything special added like photon view etc or some sort level database that needs updating?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  10. mekjal

mekjal

Is there something special with physics in the demo project?
    Tried adding a rigid body to the skeleton prefab, but skeletons still walk in the air when I change the terrain.

11. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

i had same issue you there trying to find the floor which not there you need to set up the path/path manager to the terrain/terrains this then gives a walking layer

12. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

Is there a Chance to Test the level1 Sample Scene without Open the Start Scene And putting in your Login Data Time And Time again everytime you want to Test your Scene?

When I press the Play Button in the level1 Scene there wont be any character

13. Tethys

Tethys

Switch your save mode from SQL to the local save mode. This will save you from logging in each time at least.

14. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

hm. ok. can you explain me where i find this setting?
    ahja, found it.. its under setting.. that was one stupid question :D

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  15. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

Ok. i have a weird bug, maybe you guys can help me out with that

1. when i create a new character. the character will not be shown in the inventory/profile. i just have a brown box.

with the preset characters it works fine but not with my own one. do i have to adjust something in the profile UI that my new character will be visible there?
    $rpgkitbug.png
    http://picload.org/image/oacoidw/rpgkitbug.png

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  16. hcwork

hcwork

First off, you have to use Unity Pro for that particular feature. That being said, if you are using Pro, you have to make sure to child a camera to the Player root. And position it and such. Check one of the pre existing characters for how to do it. I use it with my custom characters, so I know it works. Good Luck!

17. Mihai93

Mihai93

is possible to export from kit only the third controller? to ise it for an other think if yes how?

18. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Can i use mecanim for this kit?
    I saw in the tutorial videos that Zerano just drag and drop animations to a new character.
    Are these mecanim animations or .. ?

How about audio?
    Is some kind of audio manager included or wich one should be used that i can buy in the asset store?
    I want to have different audio on special places and also want to hear fighting sound or foot steps and so.

How do you use audio with kit?

19. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Mechanim you can use. He answered the audio question before. He is going to include a manager in the next update but you still can use audio now.
    Read up a bit you will find his answer.

20. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

ok, thank you.
    i found out, that when i choose for example the warrior he has a child camera with the profilecamera.cs script in the level1 scene. but when i start the game and choose my own character he dont have this camera script attached. but i realy cant find out where in the whole game package i have to add this script to my character. in the warrior prefab there is this camera script not attached.

21. hcwork

hcwork

There is some basic unity stuff you are going to want to go through first. First off, drag both the warrior prefab and your custom character prefab into a blank scene. Now when you choose the prefab in the scene, you will see a Camera gameobject as a child and the script is attached to that camera. Simply make a duplicate of that camera, now you will see two camera child objects in the warrior. Move one of them to your character, position it correctly and then apply the prefab. Delete both from the scene, and start the game. It should work

22. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

aw, great. thank you so much :)

23. mekjal

mekjal

I found the PathManager, but how do I set that particular terrain to be a path?

24. Venged

Venged

So the kit is already Mecanim compatible?

25. hcwork

hcwork

No, not yet, but there is nothing stopping someone from using it. Its just not a core feature yet

26. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

It looks like when i load my multiplayer level i get this error anyone know a fix?

issingReferenceException: The object of type 'ThirdPersonMovement' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    UnityEngine.Component.GetComponent[PhotonView] () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/cac08d8a5e25d4cb/Runtime/ExportGenerated/Editor/UnityEngineComponent.cs:206)
    PhotonView.Get (UnityEngine.Component component) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/PhotonView.cs:215)
    Photon.MonoBehaviour.get_photonView () (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/PhotonClasses.cs:48)
    ThirdPersonMovement.PlayAnimationRPC (System.String anim, Single speed, Int32 layer, Single killInput) (at Assets/RPG 2.0/Scripts/Mobile/Player/Character Controller/ThirdPersonMovement.cs:393)
    ThirdPersonMovement.PlayAnimation (System.String anim, Single speed, Int32 layer, Single killInput) (at Assets/RPG 2.0/Scripts/Mobile/Player/Character Controller/ThirdPersonMovement.cs:356)
    BaseTalent.Use () (at Assets/RPG 2.0/Scripts/Mobile/Talent/BaseTalent.cs:136)
    MeeleTalent.Use () (at Assets/RPG 2.0/Scripts/Mobile/Talent/MeeleTalent.cs:16)
    SlotContainer.Update () (at Assets/RPG 2.0/Scripts/UI/SlotContainer.cs:68)

27. Tethys

Tethys

Wiseowl,

I just send you a message. Ill post it here as well for others. Something that can cause this is if there is another ThirsPersonMovement script in your project (or other copies of related scrips like Character Motor.cs or.js). If you have any other packages from other developers in your project you'll want to scan through those and make sure there isn't another version of this script (often times developers include a demo scene with the standard assets folder with character controllers included). Those extra character control scripts can cause errors like this (I found out by making a build and it was all kinds of broken because of that very reason - I removed all the extras and it fixed it).

28. hcwork

hcwork

You definitely cannot do this out of the box, but all the general pieces are there. You already have collectible resources, and items you can build from those resources. What you need is the ability to create a structure (just another prefab, right?), and then right the code to be able to place it in the environment.

29. hcwork

hcwork

So, a quick question for those using this kit. I am using Unitys stock pathfinding. What I would love to do, within the framework of this kit is to define a tag, like "AttackPoint", then whenever the enemy spawns, it will follow the pathfinding from the spawnpoint to the "AttackPoint". I can think of ways to do this outside the framework, but not using the AI editor provided. Am I missing something simple?

30. Tethys

Tethys

Greetings,

Had an issue with the crafting bench not working because it was nested under another gameobject. It broke because I removed the rigid body as the parent object already had rigidbody on it and there was a conflict (anvil not moving with the cart). My solution was to rig it the opposite way, make the Anvil the parent and make the cart and its contents children, remove the rigid body from the cart and let the gravity from the Anvil rigid body drive the entire rig. :p So, if you remove your rigidbody from the anvil game ojbect (or any crafting table) it will break. Duh (poking fun of myself not anyone here). :p

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  31. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Nice game tethys. For the placeable object and for our playable housing I bought his rts kit on his site. It was cheap and gave us the code that helped with several features not in this kit. I di ask about him adding player housing and he is not sure it will be added. this is a special feature and he may not add it. But with the code from his rts kit it was not very hard at all. Take a look.

32. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

I got around to adding the KGFMap system as per his video but I am getting an error. Has anyone gotten past this?

Assets/RPG 2.0/Scripts/PlayerSpawnpoint.cs(42,46): error CS0122: `GameManager.player' is inaccessible due to its protection level

33. hcwork

hcwork

Actually, I am changing this, you must be using GameManager.player (LOWER CASE p). Use GameManager.Player, that is already the public reference

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  34. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Still getting an error message. How do I change the protection level?

35. hcwork

hcwork

hmmm. The protection level is the private, protected, public of the variable in question. That one is already setup to be public. Can you paste the code here so I can look? Not the gamemanger class, I have that (supposing you have not changed it), paste where and how you are trying to access that variable. Also, is the error happening at compile time or runtime?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  36. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

I used even the naming that he used in his video. Man I hate it both my programmers are away. I thought this one would be a no brainer.

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;

/// <summary>
    /// Simple script to spawn the player or to reset his position to this transforms
    /// position after loading a new scene.
    /// </summary>
    public class PlayerSpawnpoint : MonoBehaviour {
    //Range from this transform to spawn the player
    [Range (0.0f, 100.0f)]
    public float range = 5.0f;
    public Transform mapTarget;

void Start () {
    PhotonNetwork.isMessageQueueRunning = true;

if(GameManager.Player == null){
    if(DataStorage.Instance != null || !GameManager.GameDatabase.LoadGame()){
    GameObject player=PhotonNetwork.Instantiate(DataStorage.Instance.character.prefab.name,UnityTools.RandomPointInArea(transform.position,range)+Vector3.up,UnityTools.RandomQuaternion(Vector3.up,0,360),0);
    GameManager.Player= new Player(player.transform,DataStorage.Instance.character, DataStorage.Instance.playerName);
    GameManager.Player.Checkpoint = UnityTools.RandomPointInArea(transform.position,range)+Vector3.up;
    }
    InterfaceContainer.Instance.interfaceWindow.BroadcastMessage("OnPlayerSpawn",SendMessageOptions.DontRequireReceiver);
    }else{
    Vector3 position=transform.position;
    SetPlayerPosition mObject= (SetPlayerPosition)FindObjectOfType(typeof(SetPlayerPosition));
    if(mObject){
    position=mObject.position;
    Destroy(mObject.gameObject);
    }

//We switch the scene so no need to spawn the player, we only want to repositio him to this spawnpoint.
    GameManager.Player.transform.position = UnityTools.RandomPointInArea(position,range)+ Vector3.up;

//Set first checkpoint to the player spawnpoint.
    GameManager.Player.Checkpoint = UnityTools.RandomPointInArea(position,range)+Vector3.up;

GameManager.Player.Movement.Stop();
    }

mapTarget.parent=GameManager.Player.Transform;
    }

}

37. hcwork

hcwork

mapTarget.parent=GameManager.Player.transform; - this works just fine for me, lower case T for transform though

38. WillModelForFood

WillModelForFood

Can someone please tell me, how big of worlds does this support with unity?
    For example in cry engine there are floating point precision issues so you can only make small maps if you get too far from the origin alot of bad things and bugs start hapening. In single player there is an illusion used in games that moves the world around the player.

Does photon with unity with this project suffer from that too?

Or does it have a different coordinate system? Like a true traditional mmo where you can go very long distances and make pretty big maps. I wanted to have scenes big enough to fly over at high flying speeds like the mounts in WoW.

39. hcwork

hcwork

WillModelForFood, that is more of a general Unity question and will depend on your skill level with the tool...this kit is simply a starter RPG kit, has nothing to do with level size or graphics

40. Tethys

Tethys

I can speak to world size regarding Unity. Based on my own game and others I have seen, I think you are going to be hard pressed to find the limit on how big a "world" you can make in Unity. Like any game, how many pixels you can push on screen and stuff you load into memory is going to be mostly dependent upon how strong the machine running said game is. I have a voxel based terrain that is infinite in my scenes, and I have not found a limit to as how far you can go - the limit I found is how much you can load into the scene at one time. Of course the more polys, the lower the framerate and all that fun. Hope this helps.

41. Apiweb

Apiweb

I am interested in purchasing the package, but watching your videos and searching the site, did not see an option to add new enemies to the game, choose your model or which item it can drop.
    Currently there something?

42. Tethys

Tethys

To answer your question, yes you can make new enemies and you control what they drop through loot tables and AI. You can also create fresh new AI or reuse AI as long as your animations are the same (or just change them in the AI Tree). He has a video in this thread a page or two back on how to make an enemy in one of the existing scenes. If you want to make enemies for your own scene you will need to figure out how to make a navmesh and link it to the new enemies for your scenes.

43. aaronhm77

aaronhm77

44. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Also read through the entire thread then go to his site and look at the doc's. He posted some vid's in the tread that did not make it to the OP yet.

45. hcwork

hcwork

Just letting people know that Zerano is on holiday right now. He wont be back for a few weeks.

But, as for updates, I think something to consider is to change the AI structure a bit. Its WAY too complex to have to add loot or loot tables via the AI tree. Or even adding in animations. Those things should be a simple drag and drop in the normal unity editor. I like how you can script all the AI, I just dont like how the animations and loot are also pumped into that AI tree. It just complicates it unnecessarily. Just my opinion. Thanks

46. Tethys

Tethys

I'm still trying to figure out how to use the AI without Navmesh. :( I don't mind the behavior trees, but I cannot use Nav Mesh and I don't see any instructions on how to use the waypoint system.

47. hcwork

hcwork

There is no video, but I believe this is still how its done

http://zerano-unity3d.com/RPGKit/pathfinding/

48. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Soon as he gets back I have a good outline for the new tutorials. It should be more like a lets build our game from scratch using this kit type of outline.

49. aspire9

aspire9

enjoy your holiday zerano. i hope you come back safe and provide us with some new updates soon :)

50. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

I talked to him before he left. He has some great stuff for the next update and also the tutorial series.