Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RPG/FPS Project 2014

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Eric2241, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

just use 2, one for bounced lighting and one for skylighting

2. Eric2241

Eric2241

Render path? Lighting Mapping in pro retains the bump/normal mapping.

3. Eric2241

Eric2241

What's the best rotations of the light, opposite to each other?

4. carking1996

carking1996

No bump mapping used in the scene. Standard shaders also.

5. Eric2241

Eric2241

Wow, that's really nice! From your progress with the scene, how hard/long would it take to make it look more photorealistic?

6. carking1996

carking1996

It took a long time to do this. Months.

7. HolBol

HolBol

It's no wonder the performance is crap if you're using 4 or 5 directional lights. You need one per-pixel one at most, then one for indirect which can be per vertex for performance, and then the ambient light. You will pretty much NEVER need more than that.

8. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

Skylighting should be facing directly down, and bounced lighting should be faced either up or the opposite direction of the sun.

Eric2241 likes this.
  9. Eric2241

Eric2241

If you were to add tonemapping, normals how much more photorealistic would it get?

10. carking1996

carking1996

Ambient is important. Don't use yellows. For day, use blue directional and green ambient to balance out whites.

Edit: Well, it could look pretty good. Already looks great.

11. Eric2241

Eric2241

Yeah, did you use HDR at all? Also why did you not use normal mapping?

12. carking1996

carking1996

HDR, but it isn't a noticeable difference. So, technically no. No normal maps because I didn't see them needed.

13. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

Having great ambient lighting can give you very nice results.
    http://puu.sh/bh4Cy/afc33bbf4a.png - Unitys Default ambient lighting with a slight blue tinted color.
    http://puu.sh/bh4Cy/afc33bbf4a.png - With Hemispherical Ambient Lighting
    Also, using tonemaps can also give you great results, if you know how to use it correctly.
    http://puu.sh/bh4P1/9e9afddcec.png - using "photographic" method. now you may think "Oh all that does is just makes the scene less contrasted" well your wrong. What tonemappers do is to preserve details. so lets say you got a super dark scene and you cant see the details in the shadow areas. well use a tonemapper then.

14. Eric2241

Eric2241

Oh. So hdr isn't actually that spectacular.

15. Eric2241

Eric2241

Very nice!

16. Eric2241

Eric2241

How does this look?

17. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

not too good but your getting there. Ill give you a quick tutorial step by step.

18. HolBol

HolBol

Why is the sky so dark? And no, that ambient blue is too dark and too saturated.

19. Eric2241

Eric2241

Alright, cool thanks.
    I actually don't know why the sky is so dark, but I'm probably going to replace it with a new gradient skybox.

I'm aiming for this http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ancient-environment-released.182419/ I'm pretty far off so I'll just have to keep working on it.

20. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    makoto_snkw, Eric2241 and Baldinoboy like this.
  21. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Really awesome tutorial @Frostbite23. Thank you for posting that.

22. Eric2241

Eric2241

Really amazing. Thanks for posting.

EDIT: Did you hand paint the terrain? Also what's the best rotation for the skylight?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  23. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Directly down so: 90,0,0

Eric2241 likes this.
  24. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

Yes, the whole terrain is done by hand, I prefer to do it mostly by hand then producally. Even though when its done producally it looks better then when its done by hand. But the thing is you cant always rely on assets or code to do it for you, you have to learn how to do it by hand.

25. Eric2241

Eric2241

Cool, it looks really nice!

26. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

FYI for my current tutorial up there, I may have to remove it and make a topic for it, since really I think this shouldent Just specificly be for you and it wouldent make sense if it just was a post instead of a thread.

27. Eric2241

Eric2241

That's fine.

28. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

this project is never gonna be completed... you're spending far too much time making trivial terrain improvements...

29. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

Either way he can finish the game, it doesnt matter if you spent all your time on one aspect. Its his project, he can spend all the time he wants on any aspect because its up to him. And im pretty sure he knows that. Even the simplest game takes a long time to do, I know your gonna blabber about "Oh your wrong, it takes me 2 hours to make a simple game, ha I just proved you wrong haha" and I dont want to even see that. Any kind of game takes a long time to do. Doesn't matter how fast or which aspect you work on the most either way, any game will take a long time to finish.

Eric2241 and Baldinoboy like this.
  30. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

This thread is a great example of "No matter what he does wrong, he's my special little boy."

31. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

lol... youll never see me say I can make a game in 2 hours...

Im telling you.. this game will never get finished... by the time he's spent 3-6 months tweaking one terrain before realising he cant get the performance from the rest of the game... then the interest will diminish... then it will become a project that was all about making one terrain.

32. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

I hate to say it but you brought up a point, he is mostly posting updates just about the terrain. But hey, at least he's making progress on something. Yet I know he will post actual gameplay updates. I'll ask him when he will.

Eric2241 likes this.
  33. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

I can easily tell you are asking for trouble, from the look of it your probably some stupid kid who thinks he's so cool. Your just mis-interpreting what is going on around you.

Eric2241 likes this.
  34. Eric2241

Eric2241

So I changed around the lighting on the main menu. To address the thing about not finishing. It may be many years before I finish this. Why because of high school. I'm starting h.s tomorrow, and I'm supposed to get 5+ of homework per night. So adding on clubs, sports, etc. that's going to get me to a 12 ish sleep time where I have to wake up at 6 am the next morning. But I will have time on the weekends. EDIT: Here's the lighting change in the demo scene I'll be releasing soon.

35. HolBol

HolBol

It's still way too blue. Make it more subtle.

36. TheNinthMan

TheNinthMan

I have logged in specifically to comment on the material that is being presented in this thread. I am undoubtedly going to be personally attacked for my comments (indeed, this has already happened to other users).

Regardless, I will make my points in a relatively brief manner, so as to not burden whomever reads them.

• At the current level of development, graphics and visuals should be of the least concern to you. One should begin a project by first designing and implementing game mechanics, as was already pointed out by another user.
    • With no offence to the developer, the current level of graphics is several generations old. Whether or not this is the fault of the Unity engine is subject to debate. Personally, I have seen several projects that look reasonably "pretty", so I am inclined to say that it depends upon the artists and designers.
    • As evidenced by your several screenshots, you are currently using a free FPS kit. I will not argue as to whether or not this is a problem, but using such does not exactly instill confidence in your ability to add game mechanics. It would be better by far to code your own game mechanics. If I may remind you, no one whatsoever will care for bloom and flares if you do not have solid game mechanics.
    • You have stated that you are at the secondary level of education and expect to burn the midnight oil. With the pressures that secondary schooling brings and various other factors in your life, you will not be able to maintain such a schedule. I have attempted to live on a similar schedule and let me tell you that it was unsuccessful after a few months. I gained so little sleep that I neared a mental breakdown at one point. I would advise you not to take that route.
    Now, with my main points out of the way, allow me to address the developer more personally. This may sound harsh to your ear, but do not take it as a slight against you. You are young and have seemingly ambitious plans and ideas. You are, however, naive. Your lack of experience in the development of games shows to a rather high degree of blatancy. I would recommend that you should work on simple, personal projects before jumping into a "large RPG / FPS". You may ignore my advice, though, and continue on your path, but you are assuredly going to fail. I do not mean to make that remark as a way of putting you down, however it is the simple, honest truth. You do not have the game development maturity that is required for such a project, though that is not to say that you cannot gain such maturity.

To any naysayers that will remark upon my above comments, I do indeed have experience developing a game. In particular, I worked as a C / C++ programmer on a small RPG for some time. Currently, I am writing the story line for an interactive, story based, game; it is not going to be developed in Unity, however. While my accomplishments are not very impressive, I can say that I understand the level of work that must be put into the development of a game.

A thank you to anyone that reads my long "wall of text" and is not irreparably damaged by it.

rbx775 and bbQsauce like this.
  37. Eric2241

Eric2241

Thanks for such a large reply. I have read every bit of it. Yes i am using a free fps kit. Mainly because I am one person, so coding everything my self would just make this project take many many more years than it would have to. So I look for free/open source alternatives to stuff I would have to code myself, or model myself. So I can focus on graphics design, terrain design, ai capabilities. This project won't be completed in a day, as Rome wasn't built in one day. I know that the graphics could be greatly improved, so that's where I'm focusing on. I don't have funding on this project so paid art assets are a complete no no. Last thought: could I see your pictures of the scenes? I've worked in Java, VB.NET, C#, HTML and more languages (though HTML is just a markup) since I was about 9.

38. Eric2241

Eric2241

Yeah I could do that.

39. TheNinthMan

TheNinthMan

I am pleased that you have taken my advice with more than a grain of salt. If you honestly feel that you are capable of finishing the project that you have in mind, then by all means go right on ahead. I merely think that you should focus on the more technical portions of the project, such as game mechanics, first. One can always add shiny and flashy graphics later, but once you have a skeleton created (i.e. game mechanics), it will be much easier.

Regardless, becoming proficient in a programming language is definitely worth it in the long run. You will be able to add exactly what you want into your game, something that is not possible with free pre-made kits.

40. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

@TheNinthMan is right. It is going to take a lot out of you and there is a chance you might be able to release this as a full fledged game. The thing is this is still your project. It will either be a game with a great learning experience or an unfinished project with a great learning experience. Either way it is a great learning experience. When you are ready for full on programming I do think you should make a smaller project. Something smaller and quick. Just to understand the process from a different angle.

I have to ask. In future development do you want to be an artist or a programmer?

41. Eric2241

Eric2241

I've either found or created all the game mechanics needed; such as cars, helicopters and the fps. The dialogue is also there, along with the shop system. I just need to add in the dialogue, and the items to the shop.
    Yeah that's why I'm doing this. I don't have much to lose (no venture capital put into it). So I'm planning to major as a programmer, however I'm always going to do art, and graphics.

42. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Really cool. I want to see helicopterso_O. Well I hope it goes good and that you have some time to work on it. Like @TheNinthMan said though try not to go crazy with it.

43. Eric2241

Eric2241

Cool I'll get it out, though might be awhile, but I'll still try to work on it and help out the community if needed.

44. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Oh by the way your scene looks really nice. Too much blue but that is easy to fix. The grass is looking great.

45. Eric2241

Eric2241

Thanks, here are some of the latest screenshots.

46. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Really nice. What are the white spots in the last image?

47. Eric2241

Eric2241

Thanks! I think they're something from the vignetting.

48. Eric2241

Eric2241

Well thanks for the reply. I've made some smaller things, following the instructions of unity tutorials. I'm also aiming for a mount and blade style game, a story line but more open world like. I know I won't have the time or money to make bf or cod but, something small or equal to mount and blade basically.

49. Eric2241

Eric2241

I think with some work I can easily make the graphics better than this. I'm aiming for the same type of map as mount and blade and skyrim.

50. FervInt

FervInt

I say good luck man! You will either surprise the heck out of everyone here or you will understand what they are talking about. Some just have to learn by doing, there's no harm in that.

Baldinoboy and Eric2241 like this.