Search Unity

RPG/FPS Project 2014

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Eric2241, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

What in the world is wrong with you people. He is just showing new things he is doing. Why do you people have to gang up on someone who is just wanting some advice as he works on his project. He is working on gameplay. He does not currently want to show that because he does not want to. He does not even need a reason. I wish a moderator would just kick these annoying internet trolls off the forom. He is showing the visual design because he wants to and some Considerate and Helpful comments about what he is actually doing would be helpful. If someone wants to post a rude comment that is short and unhelpful then show what you have done in your projects to make you so amazing that you can call someone else's work crap. Helpful criticism is still helpful. Pointless unintelligent criticism is just, well, pointless. This community is for helping people not for tearing them down.

Sorry for this darn post that is not going to get through these trolls heads but it just really annoys me.

Keep up your great work Eric.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    Chambers and Eric2241 like this.
  2. Eric2241

Eric2241

No. Because if you have read you would have not posted this unintelligent post. So go back and read.

3. Eric2241

Eric2241

Thanks, always great to hear from you. I'll try that out. I actually plan on having the menu and camera translate to a position and rotate around everything a menu item is pressed. Kind of like KSP. Since I have the pro trial I'm using the pro water , is pretty dang good.

4. Eric2241

Eric2241

Exactly.

5. Eric2241

Eric2241

Here's an updated screen shot. Water fall is more noticeable, and the leaf particle effect size is turned up for effect.

6. HolBol

HolBol

I don't see a waterfall.

7. Eric2241

Eric2241

It's the white fluff off to the right side. It's clearly noticeable in the actual game. The flare also blocked it out some. Here's another screenshot.

8. Eric2241

Eric2241

This is a view of the scene under the water. And yes, the fish do move around the lake.

9. Samuel411

Samuel411

The textures look blurred and you still need to update the main menu scene. Ill admit the underwater scene looks pretty cool, but thats just a picture. Ill hope it looks like that ingame.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  10. Eric2241

Eric2241

It does, that came straight from the game. I think I might even turn down the texture size because of performance issues.

11. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Cool. Underwater is always a plus. Throw in some strong DOF and screen distortion when underwater. Especially under the water fall you have to make it difficult to see. Is this a river from the waterfall to the ocean?That would be cool:).

I like the trees that you placed in the background but you should probably level the terrain a little for those type of trees. Palm trees and some other types of trees can grow on a steep terrain but for me those do not look right.

Do you plan on allowing the AI to be able to swim. I am not a programmer so I do not know why in AAA games the AI cannot swim. Have to laugh when the AI does that dance when the accidentally fall in the water in Far Cry 3:D. I know you are not that far in production but do you plan on swimming AI?

Looking great. Looking forward to next post.

12. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

The texture is going to be stretched at that angle for the terrain. You can use some of those terrain shaders on the Asset Store but some of them are expensive. The best thing to do would be to add a few cliff rocks. Just to cover up the stretched terrain texture. Would probably better for gameplay too. Hide under the underwater rock overhang to escape bullets flying through the water. Now I want to make a game:D.

13. Eric2241

Eric2241

cool, thanks for those tips! As for the ai swimming I'll try and see if I can but as I'm not a animator I'll have to find some free animations or learn to make them (setting me back some 2 months or so), the under water effect will be in every scene with water. Though the scene above is just the parts of the main menu scene. Its a waterfall that goes into a pond.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  14. 0tacun

0tacun

Hey looks better than some colored moving cubes!

But I think the main screen could be a bit improved by increasing contrast with darker shadows, else it looks a bit washed out, because it looks to bright (maybe because of image effects?).

The underwater scene looks also very cool, maybe play a bit with the fog to improve the impression to be under water, because the rocks/ cliffs in the foreground doens't look as they are under water.

Currently your game looks somehow 'friendly' wasn't expecting this from a fps :D

By the way ignore the hate which is going on here, it is just shows what kind of poor devils they are.

Keep it up, hope to see some gameplay!

Eric2241 and Baldinoboy like this.
  15. Eric2241

Eric2241

The out of water one is not using image effects, and I will be adding more rocks and cliffs. The friendly is for the rpg element where I'm trying to get a similar feeling to Skyrim. It's really good to know that there are genuinely good people on this forum.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  16. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Really? It's right there, behind the giant 'Iron Man Proton Cannon Blast' blooming effect. LMAO!

17. Eric2241

Eric2241

No need for the profanity. There is no bloom effect applied. Go learn your image effects.

18. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

There's no bloom effect just like there's no waterfall in the picture. And it looks like those fish are flying through the air as opposed to being underwater. It's as if you have no idea what things look like underwater. If this game takes place on land, exactly why would anyone care about what the view is like from underwater?

19. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Whats with the caps and underline? Just makes me not want to read it.

carking1996 likes this.
  20. Eric2241

Eric2241

Because it's the emphasized portions that are most important, because I know that you will not read it in its entirety so I have kindly outlined the vital parts. Since you have not read it your forthcoming arguments have no merit and are invalid.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  21. HolBol

HolBol

People have already said it, but you really need to improve your attitude towards people. It's turning people away from actually giving criticism. Problem is, when they do, you take offense.

Sorry, but a menu screen with Photoshopped bloom that's badly done as opposed to actual gameplay isn't doing you any favours.

bgivenb likes this.
  22. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

This is exactly what Fishman is talking about, he just provided some perfectly fine criticism and you go off and call him a troll. I'm sorry but thats just stupid. Check yourself.

bgivenb likes this.
  23. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

LOL, as if I would actually read any of that. And your picture of real fish underwater only helps prove my point about your work being absolutely awful and you being clueless about your abilities. Humans can't see the normal 20 yds ahead below natural water (just like the photo). Therefore your screenshot doesn't look realistic or proper... as if those fish are just flying through the air.

The real troll is yourself thinking that your work is really any good compared to a major or successful indie release (or some of the WIP on this forum). You're no different than the dozen or so members who've posted similar work (scenery and menus). All your effort is put into this message board, replying like a loser that needs to step away from the Internet for a long time. Trolli-olli-o's and bloomy bloom blooms, everyone!

bgivenb likes this.
  24. bgivenb

bgivenb

First off, don't badmouth Fishman, he's been here much longer then you, and he's only trying to give you constructive criticism; he's definitely not a troll.

I think what you need here is some advice, (you could use an attitude adjustment as well). So, as a favor to the community and to those out there who aren't sure how to make good looking underwater scenes, I challenged myself to create an underwater scene in under an hour, using only default assets and free packages. I took screenshots of my process and documented the steps.
    Webplayer
    1.png

Step 1:
    Sculpt up basic terrain

Step 2:
    Paint basic Splatmap

Step 3:
    Add some grass(Seaweed) and rocks. Nothing fancy here, just the basic assets

Step 4: (very important)
    Add an appropriate colored fog with a high density

Step 5:
    Add Unity's basic water prefab above

Step 6:
    Add some particle effects (I used the default dust storm, along with a quick plankton emitter that I created)

Step 7: (very important)
    Adjust lighting color and strength. Remember: when light filters through water, it takes a slightly bluish tint by the time it reaches the bottom, which leads me to my next step

Step 8:
    Add caustics. This step was by far the most complicated and time consuming, but I've created a Unity package with everything you need to drag and drop caustics into your scene. You can download my package here.

Step 9:
    Post FX
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total time: 2 hours, this includes the time spent creating and uploading the caustics package, writing this tutorial, and researching. This is my first time attempting an underwater scene.

Caustics package
    Webplayer

parting words of advice: this forum is for learning and criticism. A wise man once said:

Correct a fool and he will hate you; correct the wise and they will love you.

A wise learner loves criticism. Be a wise developer

Good day, sir!

edit: I realize this could be useful to others, and posted it to the teaching section of the forum.
    HERE

You can download all my free assets HERE

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    Baldinoboy and Eric2241 like this.
  25. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

That looks really nice @bgivenb. Helpful tutorial. I am not on my good computer so I can not try it out but do the caustics work in unity indie?

By the way there has been a lot of crap on this forom. People comment who have not read a single line. Eric is new, as am I, and is so overwhelmed by stupid post that he cannot distinguish a troll from a critical post.

Your post was clear and helpful @bgivenb. Some others have been more ranting than critical. Others have just been posting random crap. Type clearly and do not call someone an idiot and your point should get across. Even if that point is critical.

Anyway thanks again @bgivenb for the tutorial.

26. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Now can we just start talking about making games:)?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  27. bgivenb

bgivenb

Caustics should work on Unity indie, as they use a sprite set for animation, and not MovieTextures.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  28. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Awesome. Will try it out when I get back on my computer. Thanks again

29. Eric2241

Eric2241

This perhaps one of the most useful tutorials I have ever laid eyes upon, so my sincere thanks to you kind man for taking your own time to create this tutorial, and even building it into a Unitypackage. This does look good for a more deep looking body of water, but as the main menu is a pond I would assume that to make it look better I would just have to decrease the amount of fog of your tutorial, and some caustics using an animated projector and a grid like texture.
    Sorry about that, because when I read that I just saw Photoshop and was like not again but going back Unity crashed so it probably didn't save my settings for the sun flare, which probably caused it to look like a cr*ppy bloom effect. So sorry to Fishman about that. So thank you guys for providing criticism. And I look forwards more constructive and helpful criticism which can help improve the game.

The anti-troll statements are mostly directed at Antman as he has just been saying things such as "LMAO!", and "It's as if you have no idea what things look like underwater". So that is not progressive in any way, shape or form in fact hat is just insulting. Saying a swear in an abbreviated form does not make it any less vulgar, if you would please say it in its full form. Don't be a coward be a man and say it to me. I'll give you my other side. So here is my message to specifically Antman:
    "You've got opinions, man
    We're all entitled to 'em
    But I never asked

So let me thank you for your time
    And try to not waste any more of mine
    Get out of here fast

I hate to break it to you, man
    But I'm not drowning
    There's no one here to save

Who cares if you disagree?
    You are not me
    Who made you king of anything?
    So you dare tell me who to be
    Who died and made you king of anything?"
    -King of Anything
    By Sara Bareilles
    with one modified word from "babe" to man because sorry to break it to you but I don't like you at all. I think this song expresses what I want to say to you.
    Here's the song if you want to listen to it

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  30. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

I 'Laugh My Ass Off' at this incompetent developer who clearly needs to get a clue about game development. He is more concerned about showing off what little he's done with game menus and scenery as opposed to actual gameplay - the most important aspect of a videogame. He has been a member longer than I, yet he has learned very little in terms of presentation and understanding criticism when displaying your work (could have gained this experience with a college level education). He will not get better at this.

I 'Tip My Hat' to bgivenb who clearly understood what I was criticizing and even created a similar scene that is far more believable. I'm sure he receives good criticism and takes it well as a developer who is skilled. He probably understands the important aspects to game development. He can only get better.

31. Eric2241

Eric2241

Good for you.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  32. Eric2241

Eric2241

Some more updates to the main menu scene the underwater portion has been updated with bgivenb's ideas and suggestions in mind. Also is the waterfall more visible?

Baldinoboy likes this.
  33. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Looking really nice Eric. The rocks and added trees look awesome.

Eric2241 likes this.
  34. Eric2241

Eric2241

Thanks!

35. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi sir what are you using for the skybox?, it seems it's some kind of plant texture..?, try to put a good skybox or a day night system if you can.

i'm not going to say nothing good or bad about this game, i'm going to give you my personal opinion:

First of all you should see that if the post is full of those comments is because of something, it's up to you to be a good person or a bad one, you can be polite replying to the people.

Second, you should start with a simple scene with some prototype props, for test the camera system, the controller,etc...

Third, the graphics even if you think they are good, they don't fit very well, at least in my opinion.

Try to think what do you want to do, i see that you are posting images and things of menus etc..., but what's the game about, what we will do on the game, focus on the mechanics, not on some screenshots of "cool terrains".

And caution because with those comments and things the thread will get close soon if a moderator came here.

Good luck with your project, you will get more if you are good with the people and accept the critics than if not.

Have a nice day sir.

36. iKonrad

iKonrad

Well... If you need shiny graphics in your own project just to keep yourself interested, then maybe it's not game development that you're after? See, there's a reason why so many people advised you to start off with plain cubes and do the game mechanics first. Mechanics make the game, not the 3d meshes.

I assume you keep polishing your scene instead of working on an actual game because it feels somewhat easier (and because that's what you were thinking game dev is - placing objects on the scene).

Seeing your engagement in creating the scenes - maybe you should consider switching to 3d modelling instead? Why not make couple of decent assets and try sell it on AS? Guess that would only benefit you.

By the way, this thread reminds me of Elliot Rodger a bit.

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  37. Eric2241

Eric2241

So I have a fps rig setup, however as with so many other fps games on unity they seem to only show movement and jumping around, while shooting. What I want to do is finish up my car controls, the first few quests of the game, finish the multiplayer, the UI and then show a substantial amount of gameplay.

38. Eric2241

Eric2241

Yeah, I'm think about making simple gradient skyboxes, or creating some hdri skyboxes. Perhaps you will start seeing some fps mechanics.

39. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Making an FPS

"Perhaps you'll see some FPS mechanics." -Eric2241

Samuel411 likes this.
  40. Eric2241

Eric2241

Yes, perhaps "you will start seeing some fps mechanics" soon. -Eric2241 thanks for reading.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  41. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I do not remember if you mentioned it yet but what kind of levels do you plan on there being? Big open world maps or smaller more detailed maps?

Eric2241 likes this.
  42. Eric2241

Eric2241

I plan on keeping the maps above the size of 1000, 1000. That is to let the player get a sense of freedom, and openness. However I may change that as the player most likely won't use the full map in a battle.

43. Samuel411

Samuel411

Finally after pages of comments most of which directed to you showing gameplay rather than art we finally MIGHT see fps mechanics! Maybe by page 10 we could be seeing some videos of some gameplay. Also the sun flare and the water fall blend. May want to have a slight color difference.

44. Eric2241

Eric2241

I may just give you a build, so your own computers can slug it out. The performance won't be good, so recording would be a terrible idea unless I don't make it full screen.

45. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Cool. I have always been a fan of large maps but once I tried making one I realized how crazy hard they are to make. You can make it nice and detailed but it will take a long time and a strong computer. It will pay off though.

Eric2241 likes this.
  46. Eric2241

Eric2241

Yeah, this game will most likely require a computer stronger than my current one to play on full settings. However with that said I've got to actually make the settings. But at it's current stage its actually doing fine considering I can only play most current gen games on low or min at a full screen res.

47. Samuel411

Samuel411

That is a TERRIBLE performance level! The games graphics are no where near current gen and you can play only play your game at full screen with a slow performance. Optimize draw calls, meshes, tris and code. I am used to playing games with these graphics and even better on my laptop with an intel hd 3000 gfx card.

48. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

needs moar lens flare

carking1996 and Samuel411 like this.
  49. Eric2241

Eric2241

Cool, can you give me an example?

50. Samuel411

Samuel411