Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RPG/FPS Project 2014

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Eric2241, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Eric2241

Eric2241

We have added some new flowers and grass texture to our island benchmark scene, along with new 4096 sand textures.

2. Eric2241

Eric2241

3. carking1996

carking1996

Don't bump it every hour to show some new flowers. People want to see gameplay. Hold off for a while until you have a game to show.

4. Eric2241

Eric2241

Thank you carking1996 for replying again, and thanks for the feedback...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  5. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Eric my point is, it shouldn't be running this poorly. The game itself has no effects, or anything that looks over the top.

Deleted User likes this.
  6. Eric2241

Eric2241

Khelton, we applied some effects from the indie effects package, which was shown in the video. After removing the indie effects the island scene benchmark runs on a fantastic 70fps, of course this is after we added ambient life.

7. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Also, bumping is only allowed 24 hours after a previous post.

Deleted User likes this.
  8. Eric2241

Eric2241

Ok, thanks for telling us, we were not aware of that rule! :D

9. Eric2241

Eric2241

New picture from our "Plateau Benchmark Scene", AI footage and gameplay footage will be available soon.

10. Terminator75

Terminator75

Hi Eric.
    Your game looks like its got potential.....:D The textures on the last screenshot looks Very Realistic :) Sorry for skipping the first few pages of the forum but What exactly is the game gonna be? ....Singleplayer Campaign Based FPS or Multiplayer based FPS....or is it a TPS strategy game?

11. Eric2241

Eric2241

Thanks, "The ultimate aim of this project is to create a fun, high quality rpg, fps game." We do already have a storyline planned, and we also plan on making it have a campaign, along with a multiplayer option.

12. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

I dunno I am still not happy with the terrain in the screens. Making 3d games can be tough right... I tried to make terrain in Unity before and I don't think it came out better than yours

Your description of the game still seems a little vague too. FPS/RPG with soldiers doesnt tell us very much.

Good luck

13. Eric2241

Eric2241

We will be revealing more of the info as we continue further in the development process. Also we are now using the trial of geocontrol 2 and we have created lots of height maps already.

14. johnnydj

johnnydj

Not trying to sound rude, but for weeks all you do is bump and post screenshots edited in photoshop...
    I don't think anyone cares how nicely you can arrange a tree or a character from the Bootcamp demo.

I am almost 100% sure you have no AI working or anything, because a game development does not start with graphics, sound and AI... you need a backend for the project and build on that.

So just please stop posting useless screenshots.

15. Eric2241

Eric2241

Ok, not trying to sound rude but seriously?! Making good ai takes lots of time to polish, and we have gotten the ai to do things such as seek, patrol shoot, kill, and almost to hide. So why have we started with graphics, sound and ai, since this is a COMPLETELY FREE PROJECT we need interest, so we devices to develop graphics, maps, and ai, also since if we do not finish this project do to various reasons, we can give all of our progress to the community through uploading the whole project for FREE, which the community can then use in their own projects. By the way, we don't even have photoshop, or anything expensive for that matter, in fact we have been using the free trial of sketch for our photos. These photos are in fact real time and are not at all EDITED. We are trying to finish our ai hiding and shooting behavior as soon as possible so we can post a video of the ai. Therefore johnnydj you "sir" are being completely unreasonable to a project that has very limited funding, and one that has been working hard very MINUTE we have been getting a chance to work on this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  16. Eric2241

Eric2241

To everyone out there. We are developing on Unity INDIE, so for things like image effects we use the indie effects package from fuzzyquills, for optimizations we do it completely manually. For ai we use RAIN which is very powerful and has already gotten us on the track of creating fantastic ai.

17. Eric2241

Eric2241

Sorry everyone who had to read the super long post, it does include some very vital info which can Lear up some of the possible confusion. We really hope to never have to be so mean to some one again on the unity forums.

18. wmgcata

wmgcata

I've got to agree with Johnny for now. You have nothing to show to us except for a few pictures. I'll edit my post once you've shown us something interesting and working. Your reply clearly shows us that you lack some professionalism. Instead of taking his criticism into note, you start being a total d*ck to him, which is never a good sign. Even if his criticism sounded rude or offensive, you'll have to learn to deal with it, or it won't get you far.

Anyways, good luck with whatever you're working on and i'll be waiting for some mechanics.

Tim

19. Flint Silver

Flint Silver

I'm not a good coder or something similar, but I think that you could edit your three post (delete two of them and add them to the first nothing difficult I think). Then I want to tell that graphics isn't everything, for example Minecraft according to your opinion is the worst game ever (and other game like Terraria, or also old videogames like DOOM, Super Mario, SidMeyer's Civilization, and so on...), but I think that are the most funny games in the world.

Apart from the thought above, Your game, with your ideas seems really good!

Sorry For my Bad English

-fS-

20. Eric2241

Eric2241

As we have explained, we are posting screenshots in order to show what we have, we are making maps because we may never finish it. Instead of making a bunch of useless poorly created maps and broken ai or we can give a few well polished maps back to the community for free. We have taken his criticism as we have with a bunch of other people have said. As people stated saying we needed to create more gameplay we started the ai. This is since this is being created practically by one man (me), the other members help to run the group. Creating a rich narrative story line requires lots of time, and by then this thread will be gone, so I am working on it almost every day. If someone says that I have been using photoshop to create our scenes that is completely false, as I have been working with mostly free/trial software. So we will be posting some mechanics like the player, and more soon.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  21. Eric2241

Eric2241

We are just getting our graphics to a certain point then working on game mechanics.

22. wmgcata

wmgcata

That explains most of it. Still keep in mind what I said in my previous post, it will help you in the future.

Good luck.

Tim

23. Eric2241

Eric2241

Thanks, we will always be taking into account criticism.

24. Eric2241

Eric2241

Sorry about our un professionalism in this post, we hold our selves to a high standard. But please take the time to read the post and the preceding posts.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

bbQsauce likes this.
  26. Eric2241

Eric2241

27. johnnydj

johnnydj

@Eric in my tower defense gam the name is spelled "defence" for a reason. When you will learn about marketing, SEO, most common word searches, you will know.
    You said you keep yourselves to very high standards? I think you are just learning to arrange assets in Unity and you come every hour to post a screenshot just to bump your thread and blame the Unity Indie effects... and trust me that no one will want your project even for free...
    People tried to help you but you kept being arogant and not listening to people who actually release games.
    This attitude will not get you far, especially when you will ask for scripting help. People will remember you and they will ignore you.

28. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Damn Eric, you clearly have a horrible attitude. Firstly, defence and defense are both valid. Over in England and here in Canada we use Defence. Secondly I agree with Johnny here, you need to calm down and work on getting better. You can't blame Unity Free, tons and tons of beautiful games have been made with it. You just need to know your tools. You're clearly still learning how to use Unity, and thats fine. You need to understand that, you can't make the next Battlefield or whatever, simply not going to happen. Give yourself some time, finish a project and get better. You also need to learn to not take criticism the way you do, if someone says something negative about your game, say okay and move on.

Deleted User likes this.
  29. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Yeah this thread always felt a little spammy with a bit too much self-bumps. I think you should try to limit yourself to 1 post max when you self bump during the day with an update. Maybe forget about the terrain. Just go straight to a 'blue room' (aka prototype level). Go sling some polys in Probuilder if you can swing the cost. Blue room it up.

Those soldiers are fine but I wish you could get your hands on a mannequin. Just focus on code. Art- you can get that. Trust me God (or whatever you believe or dont believe in sorry), set up this world so that artist out number engineers like 10 to 1. You can get Art. I've gotten Art. I've gotten way too much art for projects whether they were bad ideas or good.

So- focus on prototype Art. Get it all working. Get gameplay happening. You can add on Art later. Trust me! From AAA to Indie this works

30. Eric2241

Eric2241

Okay, first off I'm not blaming I unity indie, was trying to get across that I can't use the image effects, so in the first video I substituted image effects for indie effects. The bloom shader did an amazing job, as with fxaa provided in the awesome package made by fuzzyquills. I will be making periodic updates from now on. I am a quite experienced programmer, having done web design and java, along with VB .NET programming.

31. Eric2241

Eric2241

I know about Search Engine Optimization. But using the 2 different spellings got me slightly confused as to where you were from, and since Johnny is a common American name I assumed you were America. I'm not blaming indie effects, it's a great package but even the creator fuzzyquills has said that it does not work the best with large terrains,but instead it works well with meshes. I'm really not going to try to ask for scripting help. But I'm going to be open the criticism.

32. Eric2241

Eric2241

We are going to be posting gameplay and ai in the next video.

33. Eric2241

Eric2241

I think mine craft is a fine game,

34. Eric2241

Eric2241

As we have explained, we are posting screenshots in order to show what we have, we are making maps because we may never finish it. Instead of making a bunch of useless poorly created maps and broken ai or we can give a few well polished maps back to the community for free. We have taken his criticism along with a bunch of other people's criticisms which were pretty much exactly the same. As people stated saying we needed to create more gameplay we started the ai. We took this approach since this is being created practically by one man (me), the other members help to run the group. Creating a rich narrative story line requires lots of time, and by then this thread will be gone, so I am working on it almost every day. If someone says that I have been using photoshop to create our scenes that is completely false, as I have been working with mostly free/trial software. So we will be posting some mechanics like the player, and more soon. So I am open to criticism, but I'm not open to false accusations.

35. johnnydj

johnnydj

you keep saying you might never finish the project, yet you make 6 posts in 11 minutes... instead of posting, get to work... sigh. forget it dude, it's not gonna happen.

36. Eric2241

Eric2241

I have been working, I sent these during my 12 minute breakfast.

37. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Why wouldn't you have made all those posts in one? Jeez.

Deleted User likes this.
  38. Eric2241

Eric2241

That would be a good idea.

39. HolBol

HolBol

Please, If you have to quote multiple people, each post has a little quotebubble with a plus next to it as an icon, in the bottom right of every post. Click on each one for every post you need to reply to, then write the reply and it will give you quoteboxes for each in one post.

40. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Maybe one should quit while they are... behind? Guess I learned that spelling defense 'defence' isn't wrong depending on one's grammar. Personally, I think laser should be spelled 'lazer'. And screenshot after screenshot to show off a 'video' game amounts to much of nothing in this day and age.

41. Eric2241

Eric2241

Personally, I think that after hour spent after hour on this project has made it so I have to keep making it to a point where I can make a substantial contribution to the community. Even though the Unity community can demand that I stop, I will keep making the project, I probably won't post anything for a long time,but in the end it will be done. Its really questionable how the Unity community can be so mean to one another, take legacy-games for an example. They just wanted to show off what they had, because they were excited you shut them down. Now I'm not saying that everyone here is mean, but some individuals on this forum are just downright cruel. I'm just here giving what I have, it doesn't matter if you care, I'm using this as a compare and contrast for the beginning and the end product, I never asked for feedback or really anything. Though other people such as Fishman92 have provided some useful feedback, or Terminator75's reply has given us good hope for the project. Even the people in the beginning of the thread have provided me useful and insightful feedback. Before going on a rant about grammar, please read the replies to that incident, I'll even post it here: "I know about Search Engine Optimization. But using the 2 different spellings got me slightly confused as to where you were from, and since Johnny is a common American name I assumed you were America." Giving me feedback such as telling me screenshots are nothing read this: "As we have explained, we are posting screenshots in order to show what we have, we are making maps because we may never finish it. Instead of making a bunch of useless poorly created maps and broken ai or we can give a few well polished maps back to the community for free. We have taken his criticism along with a bunch of other people's criticisms which were pretty much exactly the same. As people started saying we needed to create more gameplay we started the ai. We took this approach since this is being created practically by one man (me), the other members help to run the group. Creating a rich narrative story line requires lots of time, and by then this thread will be gone, so I am working on it almost every day. If someone says that I have been using photoshop to create our scenes that is completely false, as I have been working with mostly free/trial software. So we will be posting some mechanics like the player, and more soon. So I am open to criticism, but I'm not open to false accusations."

Who ever is trolling the referrer box on my website STOP, I know your ip address. Weebly tells me it every time you submit.

42. wmgcata

wmgcata

I have read this to many times on this thread, you keep repeating yourself, even if no one's asking for it. This thread is full of junk and arguments now. I'd suggest opening a new and clean one, and keep the bumping down to a minimum. It started with some harsh criticism, which has now become a pointless argument.

43. Eric2241

Eric2241

Its what I plan on doing, once I have enough content.

44. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

No, if you open a new thread it will only get closed. If you have one, it's fairly recent you don't need a new one.

Deleted User likes this.
  45. johnnydj

johnnydj

1. repeating yourself all the time means either you can't take criticism or you want free bumps.
    2. even if you are wrong about grammar, you NEVER attack someone's project which is at least on the market. It's just too childish... it's like saying "my dad can beat your dad" come on man...
    3. whoever is abusing your "dunno what" website, means you're on the wrong track.
    4. when you make long posts, learn to use proper alignments and don't forget to hit Enter to start a new line sometimes.

In the end, just grow up man and learn to use Unity's amazing features then you can eventually make money to get a Pro license.
    Even if you don't like the spelling of my games, at least they made me over $3000 to get a Unity Pro and Android Pro license.

46. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Eric sent me a PM about me criticizing him so I feel special. Personally I just find it sad to see people excited to show even the slightest of progress and starting a thread of the WIP with either no screenshots (clearly no one's reading the rules) OR just showing a new screenshot after another.

Why can't you actually make a video of your videogame to show progress? It's far easier for anyone to assess what your project is and what it can become with more work. I will continue to give my humble opinion to any WIP I find here, for I have seen the awful and the really great here on the Unity forum.

47. QPRocky

QPRocky

48. Eric2241

Eric2241

Seriously does anyone read the long posts. I repeat them because of you read them it explains everything, or alteast most everything. I put in in one chunk because it's all one relavant topic. When did I say unity indie was bad, I just said that I cound not use optimized image effects that come with unity pro.

49. Eric2241

Eric2241

Because while constructing the ai I broke some of the ai behaviors, the video witch I would then be showing would be a video of completely derpy ai wandering around an island, I also completely forgot about recording some footage for when the ai was stable, probably because every time I record something it takes longer to render than the actual recording, and I was really excited to move on developing it more.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  50. Eric2241

Eric2241

I can take criticism, and I don't want free bumps read the reply that comes after yours. Starting a reply with a "not trying to sound rude" does not make it not rude, it's like saying not trying to be offensive. I'm still learning features such as cloth, using rigid body to its full potential. I never blamed anyone, I just said the poor fps in the first video was because of using indie effects for large terrains, not meshes, and using a screen recorder. READ the posts please, everyone.