Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RPC function: from who did it came?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by dacloo, Nov 10, 2007.

1. dacloo

dacloo

Hi!

I am fairly new to network coding in Unity, and one thing that confuses me a bit is how do determin a "player ID".

What I am trying to accomplish is to assign a unique player ID to everyone in the game. Or does Unity do this already?

When a RPC call is executed locally, how do I know from which player it came, and e.g Destroy that player?

Thank you!

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

3. dacloo

dacloo

Aaah wonderful! Thanks.
    I was confused with some terminology.

Magic stuff, this networking.
    I was surprised to see that Network.Instantiate does in fact does something similair to a "buffered NPC" call.
    I did instantiate some spheres when pressing the space bar, and another client who logged on later, was perfectly in sync with the level (which I did not expect).

4. dacloo

dacloo

Hmm but in your example, how do I construct the function?

RPC FUNCTION CONSTRUCTION (?)
    Code (csharp):
    1. function chatMessage(info : NetworkMessageInfo, message : String)
    RPC FUNCTION CALL (?)
    Code (csharp):
    1. networkView.RPC("chatMessage",RPCMode.AllBuffered, NetworkMessageInfo, stringToEdit);

5. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

info : NetworkMessageInfo must come last in the receiver. You don't need to put it into the networkView.RPC. It will just be used if it's in the function or ignored if it's not.

6. dacloo

dacloo

Wow. You're fast :)

Thank you. I didn't know i wasn't supposed to treat it like a regular parameter. Something for in the docs?

7. chrismarch

chrismarch

My NetworkMessageInfo.m_Sender fields always have index 0, even though I have 2 clients and a server sending to each other. Create an RPC function with NetworkMessageInfo as the last parameter.
    Repro steps:
    1. compile and run a Unity app that uses Network via the C# scripting API, so that you have 1 server and 2 clients on the same machine
    2. connect the clients to the server
    3. send an RPC from NetworkPlayer 1 (RPCMode.Others). Notice that it is received with NetworkMessageInfo.m_Sender == 0
    4. send an RPC from NetworkPlayer 2 (RPCMode.Others). Notice that it is received with NetworkMessageInfo.m_Sender == 0