Search Unity

ROYALTIES to UNITY for my GAME ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RageQuitKingdom, Jun 12, 2016.

1. RageQuitKingdom

RageQuitKingdom

Ok.. If I download UNITY PERSONAL right now, build my game, and sale my game on steam... Will I EVER owe UNITY any money at all??? So to say I create my game and I sale my game on steam, I will owe nobody any money except the % steam takes on sales... Is this correct?? Or are there hidden royalty fees after I make a certain amount off my game

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

You are required to upgrade to pro after you make 100K with Unity.

You are unlikely to make 100K, so I wouldn't stress to much.

aasher2, dogzerx2, schmosef and 2 others like this.
  4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Per year.

Ony, Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  5. RageQuitKingdom

RageQuitKingdom

So it is 100k per year correct? So If I make 99,999 in 2016 then I make 80,000 in 2017 I still owe nothing correct?

6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

If you are getting down to this level of detail its per fiscal year. Just get your accountant to do it. If you are making this much money you will want an accountant to make sure you hit all your tax implications.

Deleted User likes this.
  7. RageQuitKingdom

RageQuitKingdom

Thanks, just trying to get ahead. My last idea is not doing bad at all on STEAM even tho it was created with Game Guru. Now I want to do the same idea, but with beautiful detailed graphics.. I have no knowledge at all with licensing and other LAW crap. When it comes to game developing... Well my CryEngine tutorials speak on that. What about FREE STORE ASSETS ? Can I use and sell in my game royalty free?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  8. elmar1028

elmar1028

Each asset has its own license: some disallow to be used for commercial purposes, others do. Paid ones tend to guarantee that they can be used commercially.

What tutorials? I am curious...

9. neginfinity

neginfinity

You will HAVE to buy prop version of unity if you ever manage to earn more than 100000$ per year making unity engine games. No royalties.

You'll need to get acquianted with "law crap", if you're seriously planning to make games.
    https://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms

Unless specific asset has separate license (like Unity-chan model), you're allowed to use them within your games (without royalties), but are not allowed to resell the assets themselves or derived works based on those assets outside of game. I.e. you can put that into game, but you can't put them into package that is not a game and sell that package.

When an asset has separate license, this is usually mentioned in asset description.

Kiwasi and elmar1028 like this.
  10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This.

To add to it, we should probably start talking more in terms of subscribing rather then buying.

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Are you capable of releasing or finishing a game if you type like that? It comes across demanding and angry. In addition you made no attempt to try and find out for yourself, ie looking at product page or FAQ.

ProjectBangarang, orb and schmosef like this.
  12. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

When you make over $100,000 with a game, Unity licence will be the least of your problems... because you'll be partying all the time...

jk

doranchris5 and antislash like this.
  13. Whippets

Whippets

Also, a question has a single question mark. Adding more question marks does not increase the question-ness of a question; although it does imply a lack of education on the part of the question poser.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

Just asking, but what is a fiscal year?

15. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This

16. Ryiah

Ryiah

A fiscal year (or financial year, or sometimes budget year) is a period used for calculating annual ("yearly") financial statements in businesses and other organizations all over the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_year

17. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Fake account, methinks.

That user name is too perfect to be real.

18. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

But he has a great idea for a zombie survival game with dinosaurs.

To the OP, if you are making $100,000 per year... are you really worried about paying $1500 per year to Unity.

19. delinx32

delinx32

Mo money; mo problems.

Master-Frog likes this.
  20. Ryiah

Ryiah

Remember it's gross annual revenue. Once you apply taxes, and other business-related costs, it won't be $100,000.

Kiwasi likes this.
  21. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Especially true if you have to split it between multiple team members. Once you take out rent, food, pay a few contract freelancers, 100K might not go as far as you think.

Ryiah and AcidArrow like this.
  22. iivo_k

iivo_k

Although this likely won't matter to OP, the 100k limit is not related to how much you make with the Unity game, it's the total revenue/budget of the entity. So if you're working for a company or academic institution that makes over 100k, you're required to pay for pro.

Kiwasi likes this.
  23. neginfinity

neginfinity

Nope.
    If you're an individual, it is based on how much you earned from use of Unity engine.

iivo_k likes this.
  24. iivo_k

iivo_k

Right, thanks for the correction. For any legal entity other than an individual though it doesn't matter if you ever make a penny from using Unity, which is what I was trying to say.