Search Unity

1. Read here for Unity's latest plans on OpenXR.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Wanted Routing a user in MARS

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by flyingaudio, Jul 29, 2020.

1. flyingaudio

flyingaudio

Can MARS do routing from point A to B? Would you need to use a 3rd party SDK like Mapbox?

Without a 3rd party mapping system, can MARS determine the direction between your current location and the geolocation?

With MARS simulator, I understand you can bring a scanned space into the editor, say a sculpture park. I guess there is a way to test out your triggers in the simulation based on that space, correct? But that would not include routing, that would have to be done by the other provider, correct?

2. unity_andrewm

unity_andrewm

Unity Technologies

If you have a scanned environment you can run Unity navmesh on top of it to get pathfinding to that location, though it will not be step-by-step routing (ex. 'Walk to 4th street, then take a left) like you would get out of a traditional navigation app.

3. flyingaudio

flyingaudio

Wait a minute. So, if I do have a scan of the environment, then it is just like building a game in Unity in terms of navigation, so I can compute direction and display AR elements based on the mesh? Does the phone camera need to be held up continuously to be detecting the space for orientation, or can it be held down and it will use the IMU to track itself across the mesh?

How big can the scan environment be? Can I scan a park, multi blocks, like 5 blocks?

4. unity_andrewm

unity_andrewm

Unity Technologies

Yes - it's a fantastic way to use scan data and author things around it very simply.. The key there is relocalizing the scan. We have built-in support for image markers so that is the easiest thing to do. The next thing you'll face is device drift. I have tested how much drift happens over 5 blocks, but you'd probably want multiple markers to update/keep the re-localization tight.

5. flyingaudio

flyingaudio

I am intrigued.

unityunity