Search Unity

Rough Timeline of Networking Overhaul Discussed at GDC?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by mostlyhuman, Apr 2, 2018.

1. mostlyhuman

mostlyhuman

Joachim did a talk at GDC last week on evolving Unity and discussed the future vision for networking(deterministic, 3 different architectures FPS, RTS etc). Is there any very rough guestimation on how far out the new networking system might be released? Even something very general like 6 months or so, 1 year, 2 years etc?

Cheers.

2. TwoTen

TwoTen

I doubt there is an official date. But I wouldn't expect it within the coming year.

3. dkstrong

dkstrong

do you have a link to a video or anything of the talk?

4. mostlyhuman

mostlyhuman

sure, here ya go

5. cephalo2

cephalo2

Seems like pie in the sky. I think the problem with the current system is that the documentation is poor, and it goes beyond scope. Scene management should not be and really isn't a network thing, for example.

You could probably make any network game with UNET right now, but learning how to apply it to various multiplayer experiences is a huge time consuming obstacle. This is where we need guidance. The last thing we need is a new network architecture that we have to hand execute from the source code in order to understand it and control it.

thegreatzebadiah likes this.
  6. LaneFox

LaneFox

This is most likely too far out to make any plans for.

If you're already savvy with networking then UNET LLAPI is pretty good from what I understand. Otherwise, the HLAPI is too cumbersome and will plateau very early in production.

Photon is basically the recommended path forward until there is a solution that finally dethrones it - which there is absolutely not at this time.

ferretnt likes this.