Search Unity

Rotorz Tile System for painting 2D and 3D tiles!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by numberkruncher, May 10, 2012.

1. Rick-

Rick-

Hello!

How many tiles do i need to have to create a terrain with this tool?
    Also,does RTS work with the terrain tiles included in this pack?Can you provide a demonstration of how to set up these type of terrain correctly in RTS?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  2. Rick-

Rick-

Its been a few days since i posted the question above?
    Is it better to send a e-mail for support?

3. zenGarden

zenGarden

There is holidays i think.

Rotorz is a system working with any 3d tiles if they are well made designed in a consistent way; this pack should work; but you can t ask to rotorz author to buy and test all 3d tiles pack available in the asset store for you.

This tool like auther tiling tools are designed mainly for people that know to make 3d or 2d tiles.

4. Rick-

Rick-

I didn't asked anyone to buy anything in the asset store to test for me.
    I'm asking the author to provide a example of how to set up these kind of tiles in RTS.

I do know how to create tile sets.

5. zenGarden

zenGarden

ok; no offense.
    If you look at some youtube videos ; there is some example showing how to set up 3d tiles (for example adjusting prefab rotation or scaling).

Rick- likes this.
  6. Rick-

Rick-

Thx for the tip,i'll take a look there.

7. zenGarden

zenGarden

I have some improvments ideas for Rotorz for the 3D View mode :
    - Full 3D X,Y,Z grid creation (instead of creating multiple Rotorz grids)
    The ability to create a Grid with X,Y,Z dimensions , be able to select some Y layer and only view and work on that one
    - Visiblity runtime system : It would display the tiles around the player only, this would be usefull for very large worlds using Rotorz tiles when used in full 3D view.
    This view system could be used also to edit the 3D world if it is big to not crash memory needs and also to keep a good frame rate working on the large world.

This would make possible to use Rotorz use for big worlds and other usages (I have already some game ideas if that would happen)
    What do you think ?

8. gameDevi

gameDevi

This not working so well in Unity 5.3.2. sometimes it randomly paints objects next to the one I painted. this means I have to keep switching between eraser and paint brush.
    Also sometimes the switch from brush to eraser "X" key doesn't work.

9. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

so, i just bought the asset and its really great until now. iam mostly interested in the runtime level editor stuff so i have some questions regarding that.
    1. ) is the hatguy_level_designer the only scene that is demonstrating the runtime editor or iam i blind? :D
    2.) the only thing i am missing right now is a indicator where my cursor is?
    3.) is there a more detailed runtime demo planed?

10. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

You can represent the location of your cursor however you choose; you might want to use a sprite or an object. To compute the position of the active tile (given the tile index) you can use TileSystem.WorldPositionFromTileIndex.

You can use the same immediate preview mechanism that is used when painting in-editor.
    Click here for a usage example.

** This thread is not actively monitored; please use the dedicated forum for support Rotorz Tile System **

11. pro-bchevalier

pro-bchevalier

Hello @numberkruncher is this asset compatible with the most up to date Unity version?
    Thanks,
    ben

12. noer3364

noer3364

sorry for my bad english . first i want to ask how to destroy the TileData Object. i use "Object.DestroyImmediate" it looks like this 111.png .how can i resolve it .thanks very mush

13. castor76

castor76

Deprecated?????????? Why?

14. zenGarden

zenGarden

The author perhaps doesn't want to continue support the plugin.
    This is what i dislike about plugins and why i ask often for more stuff integrated in the editor.

15. AntFitch

AntFitch

It may have something to do with the tile editor Unity is working on.

16. castor76

castor76

Just found out that author has ended support for this asset because it didn't make enough money for him to go on. Sadly another excellent asset that has had its day. Good luck with author, it was such a good tile editor. I have tried Unity tile editor too, but it doesn't come anything close to Rotorz. Very sad indeed.

17. tiggus

tiggus

Sad, this was the best tile editor I found.

18. castor76

castor76

This tool can still be used for 2017.2, but there is a bug with Unity at the moment. It has been reported but no-one knows when Unity will fix it... hopefully makes to 2017.3

19. castor76

castor76

I have found rotorz web site to be down. This is really sad, because now, I can't view its document. There is doc source in the git hub, but I can't seem to make the yaml format to build into something that I can look into.. :(

20. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

The built documentation is here: https://github.com/rotorz/unity3d-tile-system/wiki

21. castor76

castor76

Excellent. Didnt notice that!

22. nrvllrgrs

nrvllrgrs

Is anybody able to successfully get this asset to work in 2019? When I import the GitHub project, I get 500+ compiler errors -- many of which are duplicate assembly definitions. When I use the asset store version, it compiles but I get various NullReferenceExpections for get_VisibileRect when trying to look at brushes.

Is there another tool I should be using instead of this one? I used it in the past and loved it. I was really hoping to use it again (Or at least something with the similar functionality).

23. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@nrvllrgrs It hasn't been maintained for 2 years and there was extensive work done to get it to work with the Unity editor, which has had its internals changed drastically in those two years, so I would recommend you don't waste your time. Either use Unity's built in 2D TileMap editor, pay for another asset on the asset store that's still maintained like Super Tilemap Editor, or use something free like Tiled.